What to do in Kona?

sh1955

Any suggestions on the best thing to do in Kona that doesn't require a ship excursion?

Thanks!

When we were there in 2015, we rented a car from Dollar (through Discount Hawaii Car Rental) at the King Kam right there at the port and decided to make this stop a nice relaxing beach day. We then drove to a beach about 20 minutes away. They had a restroom and changing area. We then dropped the car back off at the King Kam and walked over to the Kona Brewing Co and had some beer and lunch. It was a really nice beach and a very relaxing day after all the constant running around we had been doing at the other ports. We enjoyed it so much we are going to do the exact same thing when we go back this March. If you are interested in the beach info, I'll be glad to pull out my directions and post for you.

We've been wondering what was close at the port. What else is there beside the Kona Brewing Co and the beach?

When we were there in 2015, we rented a car from Dollar (through Discount Hawaii Car Rental) at the King Kam right there at the port and decided to make this stop a nice relaxing beach day. We then drove to a beach about 20 minutes away. They had a restroom and changing area. We then dropped the car back off at the King Kam and walked over to the Kona Brewing Co and had some beer and lunch. It was a really nice beach and a very relaxing day after all the constant running around we had been doing at the other ports. We enjoyed it so much we are going to do the exact same thing when we go back this March. If you are interested in the beach info, I'll be glad to pull out my directions and post for you.

We've been wondering what was close at the port. What else is there beside the Kona Brewing Co and the beach?

There are a bunch of shops and some other restaurants, but I'm really not into shopping. There's also a little beach at the port, but that didn't really appeal to me. Here's a pic of the beach we went to--the water was so clear. Car rental was less than $50 and the beach was just up the road. Really easy to drive to.

33352765483_c238d095f9_b.jpg

THX Debbie...We'll look into rental car. I was kind of hoping for a fun coffee shop within walking distance. We aren't shoppers either.

I feel like there must be a coffee shop within walking distance of the pier. Hopefully someone will jump in for a recommendation for you.

There are a bunch of shops and some other restaurants, but I'm really not into shopping. There's also a little beach at the port, but that didn't really appeal to me. Here's a pic of the beach we went to--the water was so clear. Car rental was less than $50 and the beach was just up the road. Really easy to drive to.

Oh Deb, that beach looks so nice. I would like the name of the beach. We have planned to take a cab to a beach to snorkel but the beach I have in mind, has reviews of it being quite rocky to enter.

Oh Deb, that beach looks so nice. I would like the name of the beach. We have planned to take a cab to a beach to snorkel but the beach I have in mind, has reviews of it being quite rocky to enter.

lasekeye--here are notes I made from the Hawaii Revealed books and they got us there with no problems at all :) We arrived around 10:00 am and had no problems with parking.

Manini'owali Beach at Kua Bay – You drive in off Highway 19 and park along the road as you get towards the beach. The road dead ends in a circle where you can unload your stuff and turn around. This is also where the restrooms and outdoor showers are located. Follow the sidewalk towards the beach where you'll pass a couple of picnic tables. You'll walk over or around some rocky areas down to the sandy beach. Some people call this place Mile 88 because the road to the beach is just South of mile marker 88 on Highway 19. The official name, according to the State of Hawaii, is Manini'owali. But the most common name for this beach is Kua Bay.

If you can imagine the most perfect blue water in your mind, go a little more perfect and that's Kua Bay.This is one of the best swimming beaches on the Big Island. The fine sand slopes gently into the crystal clear blue water making this place absolutely irresistible.

It used to be that you had to walk all the way to the beach from the highway or drive down a pretty nasty 4 Wheel Drive road. Now it's easily accessible by car since the road in has been paved in recent years. The pluses and minuses of this change are debatable. It is certainly more crowded here that it used to be, but the easy access and new facilities are great.

We were on the POA in early June and spent Kona just walking around the town. There are some historical structures, lots of shops and restaurants, all within easy walking distance. Definitely recommend stopping by Holy Donuts!! Amazing, huge delicious donuts - we saw several crew members bringing the donut boxes back to the ship, and asked where to go. It is located in the back of the Kona Marketplace, so it is a little hard to find, but if you ask anyone in Kona they should be able to point you in the right direction. We also headed over to the Kona Brewery for a tour and lunch. Book the tour online to guarantee a spot - samples are included! Just remember that Kona is on the dry side of the island. We were in Hilo the day before, which was cool and rainy, and were surprised at how hot it was in Kona.

• 2 weeks later...
THX Debbie...We'll look into rental car. I was kind of hoping for a fun coffee shop within walking distance. We aren't shoppers either.

Daylight Mind and Island Lava Java are within walking distance. Kona also has a public bike rental program. Bikes are available next to the pier/King Kam hotel. You rent them with a credit card right at the rack.

(you are interested in the beach info, I'll be glad to pull out my directions and post for you.) We are interested in the beach you went to.

We will only have about 7 hours to tour Kona. Are there any shaded areas like rain forests? Will be looking for other activities in the shade.

Kona is on the hot and dry side of the island. However, up the mountain is the Kona Cloud Forest Sanctuary. It's a very interesting, lush, beautiful place. It's about 3000 feet above sea leave so its very cool and usually misty (hence the name cloud forest). They do private tours and the owner told me there is a cruise ship excursion that visits.

• 3 weeks later...

We took an historic tour with Roberts of Hawaii when we visited Kona a few years ago. We visited a sanctuary village, the Painted Church, a coffee plantation and more. I believe they may also have a beach/snorkeling excursion. You can check what excursions they offer for your particular cruise at: https://www.rhshorex.com/

We took several tours with Roberts on that trip and were very satisfied with them. Their customer service was outstanding.

Which beach is that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums