Will Travel Guard Insurance Cover Us If We Cancel

CrazytoCruise

We have planned an Alaska cruise with another couple. We made plans to travel together, but used different cruise agencies to book our cruises. We just learned that the other couple is canceling their cruise because of a job layoff. We purchased Travel Guard Choice coverage which covers trip cancellation if the insured or Traveling Companion is terminated from employment. I've called Travel Guard two times this morning trying to get a read on whether they would approve a claim from us for canceling because our friend lost his job. They were noncommittal, but read me the definition of travel companion: "means a person or persons with whom the insured has coordinated travel arrangements and intends to travel with during the trip." We would prefer to cancel and go when our friends can go, but don't want to take a chance on having our claim denied. Anyone out there have a similar experience and can lend some guidance? We are scheduled to cruise in 10 days, so need to make a decision soon! Thanks for any insight you seasoned cruises can provide! Susan R

You can call an insurance broker and ask for a quote for Travel Guard that covers cancellation due to job reasons. Ask for situations like what you now have, if it will be covered. It may confirm, or not, what your insurance told you.

The problem with theoretical situations and 'is it covered' questions is that nobody will really answer until a claim is filed and the adjuster reviews the claim and supporting documentation. Some things are more obvious than others, but each claim is technically unique.

The key comes down to how they will define 'coordinated travel arrangements'. Perhaps you could call back and ask them to define that for you. (Some companies require more than just going on the same trip...have to share costs, or rooms or bookings or somesuch...so I would be wary unless you can get more definition.)

• 2 weeks later...
We have planned an Alaska cruise with another couple. We made plans to travel together, but used different cruise agencies to book our cruises. We just learned that the other couple is canceling their cruise because of a job layoff. We purchased Travel Guard Choice coverage which covers trip cancellation if the insured or Traveling Companion is terminated from employment. I've called Travel Guard two times this morning trying to get a read on whether they would approve a claim from us for canceling because our friend lost his job. They were noncommittal, but read me the definition of travel companion: "means a person or persons with whom the insured has coordinated travel arrangements and intends to travel with during the trip." We would prefer to cancel and go when our friends can go, but don't want to take a chance on having our claim denied. Anyone out there have a similar experience and can lend some guidance? We are scheduled to cruise in 10 days, so need to make a decision soon! Thanks for any insight you seasoned cruises can provide! Susan R

I would guess that you have to book together AND be in the same cabin. But then again, what do I know about insurance - about as much as the other people who have responded to the OP's post.

DON