Scuba Diving Adventures

kngtrtn

Hi All,

There are 12 of us going on POA in March 2018, 6 of us will be open water scuba certified.

I'm looking for any information from folks who have done a Scuba tour / excursion in any of the ports where POA goes.

We are thinking that we would do this at one of the other ports if you have any recommendations or advice?

While most of my scuba diving has been on Maui & Lanai, my recommendation would be to dive in Kona.

They can easily find great diving within a short 15-20 minute boat ride. The shoreline is mostly volcanic so there's very little sand to obscure visibility. It's been years since we enjoyed a week of Kona diving so I don't have a company to recommend. Kona is a tender port so it might not be possible to get to shore.

With the POA docking overnight in Kahului Maui, you could go diving on the second morning. That's preferable to me & there's a reason why afternoon dives are cheaper. Afternoons generally result in worse diving conditions due to wind & whitecap seas. There are several dive companies in South Maui between Ma'alaea & Wailea but our dives are now primarily shore dives. That's a good option for those of us on Maui but would suggest a boat dive to 2 locations for visitors (generally Molokini first & then a location along the shoreline).

• 3 weeks later...

My DH went diving with Aaron's Dive Shop in Kailua shop February 2016 when we were in port in Honolulu. They picked him up at a hotel, I think in Waikiki (caught The Bus from/to the port) and took him to the boat.

He booked the 2 tank afternoon dive. Everything ran on time and smoothly. The 1st dive was at Angler and the 2nd was at Koko Craters. One other diver was certified, and he and my husband went their own way (with Dive Master keeping an eye on them). The other Dive Masters helped the people that were new to diving and also did the testing for a guy that was getting certified that day.

When we were in port on Maui (Lahaina), he did a great shore dive with Kevin of Banyan Tree Divers. Although he did not book a private dive, there was only one other person diving with them and he said he really enjoyed being in such a small group.

I booked both dives for him and both companies provided prompt replies, answered all my questions, and made the process very easy.

Hope this helps. Have a great time!