Two year old with an ear infection...DCL?

DukeBlueDevil

Hello!

We have planned a cruise in October 2017 with our two year old twins...one of our twins usually gets an ear infection when we go on vacay...not sure why. Should we take a round of antibiotics just in case? What will the infirmary handle?

We have a toddler grandson that occasionally has these too...We always have him checked out a few days before leaving for a flight or cruise. His pediatrician always gives a prescription (for his usual medication for this problem) and we make sure to fill it before leaving home. Better to have it and not need it..luckily we've never had to use it.....but we're always prepared with anything he might need.

Yep..your pediatrician is where this question should be directed. Frequent ear issues are a doctor's venue. Tubes, antibiotics, etc...figure out what is the problem with the kids. It's not the trip...it's the kids......

I also had one of my twins get an ear infection while on a cruise (Princess). She was so well-cared for, we wished we could have the doctor as our regular pediatrician - he was wonderful. The medical facilities on board are very well-equipped. That said, packing a thermometer, over-the-counter medication and any likely prescriptions will save time and money (after-hours service on board is pricey, but similar to urgent care on land). My daughter has also had a terrible cough arrive while on board and she was given pediatric medicine for that as well (also on Princess). I can only imagine that DCL is even better prepared for children medication-wise, but bring your own if possible.

Best,

Mia

I also had one of my twins get an ear infection while on a cruise (Princess). She was so well-cared for' date=' we wished we could have the doctor as our regular pediatrician - he was wonderful. The medical facilities on board are very well-equipped. That said, packing a thermometer, over-the-counter medication and any likely prescriptions will save time and money (after-hours service on board is pricey, but similar to urgent care on land). My daughter has also had a terrible cough arrive while on board and she was given pediatric medicine for that as well (also on Princess). I can only imagine that DCL is even better prepared for children medication-wise, but bring your own if possible.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Does the medical center for Princess take most insurances in case you need to bring your child to the medical center?

On RCI, they gave me the detailed info and I had to submit a claim after the fact. Not sure if it will get approved or denied. My insurance doesn't cover out of network and I am not sure what the ship is considered.

Does the medical center for Princess take most insurances in case you need to bring your child to the medical center?

Oh no - no ship does. It's not a facility that does any kind of billing - they're just there to take care of the passengers and crew, so the charges are added to your account like everything else on board. If your medical insurance covers this type of thing, you could file when you get home, or your trip insurance.

We used to always have a pediatrician visit scheduled a day or so before travel, just for an ear check, because of this same issue.

Ask your doctor about using decongestants prior to travel to help avoid fluid build up, and take their advice,

• 4 months later...