Seabourn Virgin

sarahjane01

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to Seabourn. Just booked the 2 week holiday cruise on Sojourn departing 21st December.

I am in a V1 cabin on deck 5 - I believe its 507.

I have sailed on other cruise lines but obviously not too sure what to expect and have a zillion questions/concerns running through my mind so if anyone can offer advice I would be grateful so here goes:

Have I chosen a good cabin location?

Whats the dress code for evenings? I know its formal but wondering how formal - jacket and pants with a shirt ok for guys or more casual? Would I have to wear a full evening gown at night?

Would it be regular vacation wear during the days?

Whats the age group on these cruises - I understand there is not a large amount of children. I am 48 and my husband is 52.

I am just staring to figure out what to expect. I am so looking forward to it but since I booked and started to read reviews I am getting a bit concerned about certain aspects - the Sojourn gets a somewhat lower rating. I am sure it will be amazing but any help or tips would be massively appreciated as like I said before its my first time and I am so used to other cruise lines that something new can sometimes be a bit worrying. Lol.

Welcome to the Seabourn family. All suites are good, location on deck 5 is fine, it is forward but we never had much of an issue with motion - were in 805 crossing the Tasman Sea with some definite motion in the ocean - and have been on some other rocky cruises.

Dress codes are stated on the website, and the subject of many posts on this forum - there is a whole thread in a sticky and over the years the subject of many other threads. My advice is plan to dress better than others will, so on formal night at least a suit and tie for the gentleman / nice dress for the lady. (No doubt some will have to take issue with this...) Other nights are country club dinner attire, collared shirt, long pants / nice pants or dress. If you dine at the Patio Grill it can be even more casual.

Age varies depending on the cruise. In summer months and Christmas and shorter cruises a younger demographic, for crossings and/or longer voyages a bit older and many long timers get together. You will meet many folks w/ 200+ days on Seabourn on any cruise, it is addictive.

Ignore reviews to avoid preconceived notions as every single one is subjective, everyone has their own take on things and your experience will be different from the other people on your cruise. Not everything is perfect, but nothing in life is, so just get ready for a wonderful experience. Being nice to the crew means they will take great care of you and you will disembark waiting for the next cruise...

We were on the Sojourn last year and good friends were on last month, you can read various reviews about Alaska and the Sojourn on CC, and none of us had any issues with the ship.

Don't be concerned.

The Sojourn is basically the same ship as the Quest and the Odyssey which we have had fabulous cruises on, and many on this forum have recently or are presently on the Sojourn and are giving glowing reports. It is the SB ship we have not been on, not by choice, just they way it has worked out.

I would not hesitate to book a Sojourn cruise and will probably be doing that for Alaska in the next couple of years.

Hi SarahJane :)

I love the Sojourn and have our 3rd cruise on it coming up! So far we've always been on Deck 5 close to where your cabin is going to be and to me it's a perfect position. Not far to go for the outside area/pool on Deck 5 and no way to walk from the Club after live music, dancing and a cocktail !

As far as 'dress'... I'm not really a long dress person although I did take one on my first cruise. On the second cruise, I didn't take one and that was fine too. My husband always wore a jacket in the main dining room and I wore a knee length dress, sometimes more dressy for the formal night.

During the day it is honestly just wearing what you feel comfortable in and will be suitable for sometimes long excursions.

I hope you have a lovely time :)

Thank you for this thread! We're also cruising Seabourn for the first time and were somewhat overwhelmed with the information. Being a Mediterranean Summer when were are cruising and planning to carry with "cabin luggage only" means we're going to be selective. A tuxedo is not exactly appropriate in the Med Summer outside of a formal evening.

Hopefully being in our 30's, we're not too young for Seabourn.

If you want to travel as light as possible, but still fit in with requirements, I suggest a man needs one jacket for 'formal optional' with a collared shirt but not necessarily tie, otherwise smart casual collared shirts and long trousers which are not blue denim for evenings. Women travelling light only need one pair of smart trousers (mine are black uncrushable velvet) and other non-blue denim pants or skirts - several light tops rather than dresses, for me, as it is the top half most noticed by others! I know some people still like to wear tux or suit, but it is definitely not necessary nowadays, though some will be seen. Just don't wander through the dining room in the evening in your bathrobe, which has happened recently!!

Thank you! I'm planning a few non-iron work shirts and then one white dress-shirt with tie as well as a cotton slack +/- light wool pants. Obligatory polo or merino collared short-sleeve for the tours.

I can't imagine why someone would head outside their cabin in a bathrobe at any hour ... unless they were on their way to the spa or pool!

I imagine Seabourn isn't one of the cruise lines known for inebriated guests (outside their individual rooms).

At the top of the front page it says referral thread.

If you are a first time Seabourn cruiser and not getting any other on board credit from TA or Seabourn you will get a $400 on board credit if somebody refers you. There are plenty of people offering them .

Oh no!

Of all the itineraries you could have chosen you went for Dec 21st. Can I apologise in advance for Mr Luxury's behaviour. I will do what I can but he normally travels with a large contingency of staff who sometimes get out of hand during their daily 45 minute break from service. Never look Mr L directly in the eyes and on no account make mention of his diamond encrusted Versace loafers :)

Right then, where to start....

The Sojourn is a great ship. Many on here prefer Sojourn to the larger Encore. I have to say we like both. This will be our 6th cruise on Sojourn and we are very much looking forward to it. The ship will have recently undergone a bit of an overhaul to introduce a TK diner / grill and a few other tweaks.

You have to take much of what is said on this forum with a pinch of salt. Many of the posters have enjoyed years cruising with Seabourn including cruises on board the smaller 3 sisters where tiny numbers of passengers (Sojourn is very much boutique cruising at 450 pax when compared to mainstream 3,000 plus), meant something of a bygone era. For me those ships would have been too small, Sojourn is perfect.

Posters on here are set in their routine and any variance from that is seen as cost cutting or a reduction in service. As a first time cruiser on SB turning up with an open mind you will be blown away. Walk into the bathroom in your suite and compare that to a standard cabin on a mainstream cruise line. That is the Seabourn difference.

Don't worry too much about your fellow guests. They come from all walks of life. Nobility such as Mr L and your typical peasant such as my good self yet we all seem to fit together and enjoy conversation at the bar, some banter during Trivia or bite to eat together.

I have done 4 Christmas cruises on Seabourn and can't say I've seen any of the ships over run with children. Our daughter 17 at the time of this cruise has usually found a couple of people her own age but there have never been marauding gangs wandering the decks and invading the elevators as there would be on mainstream cruise lines. If anyone's pushing buttons on the elevators it will be me and if you want to know where the giant chocolate santas go check our Mr L's presidential suite. I'm not casting any aspirations here but those bad boys don't walk there themselves :)

So ship, company and passengers will be excellent.

I haven't done the Caribbean with Seabourn before so you and I are breaking new ground together but I have no doubt that the Seabourn ethos will fit very well into the location. The BBQ beach day with caviar in the surf will be wonderful and it looks as though we are visiting some places not popular with the 3,000 - 5,000 pax giant ships so hopefully a more relaxed approach.

By all means if you have specific questions fire away either here or on the roll call. Dress code wise I must confess I like to try and smarten up at night, only because I don't have to in my day job as a lower deck hand but we don't judge. Avoid jeans and shorts in the main dining room, wear a shirt / polo / T-shirt top in the Colonnade during the day and hubby will be fine. Ladies just look great anyway.

Oh, and don't mention Mr L's gold encrusted Speedos either ;)

Look forward to saying hello over an iced drink poolside.

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Bestie and Sarah-Jane - read the thread headed 'referral coupon thread' right near the top of this page. you can get $400 onboard credit per couple if you get a referral.

Thank you. I did send an email to one of the posters - I'm not sure if the onboard credit will stack with the Virtuoso benefits. Be nice to know so i'm not taking up someone else's potential time.

We just got off the Sojourn a month ago and I canhonestly tell you the ship was in great shape and the crew could not have been better. If you smile at the crew members, call them by name and say please and thank you they will bend over backwards to give you great service.

No you cannot stack it unless your TA:Virtouso paid the OBC themselves (usually what they offer passengers is an OBC passed along from Seabourn). It is worth calling your TA to verify before your accept a referral coupon. But if you are a Carnival Shareholder you can combine the referral OBC with shareholder OBC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Chairsin

Thank you! I'm planning a few non-iron work shirts and then one white dress-shirt with tie as well as a cotton slack +/- light wool pants. Obligatory polo or merino collared short-sleeve for the tours. .
Sounds like you are good to go for tours, but I really hope you meant to include some sort of blazer/jacket in that list. You would be better suited for the evening to ditch the tie, but keep the jacket. If you look at most of the Seabourn literature, most of the males in the evening are wearing a jacket but no tie, which is what many would describe as "country club" casual.

Even if only going for cabin luggage only you can always wear it onto the plane.

Sounds like you are good to go for tours, but I really hope you meant to include some sort of blazer/jacket in that list. You would be better suited for the evening to ditch the tie, but keep the jacket. If you look at most of the Seabourn literature, most of the males in the evening are wearing a jacket but no tie, which is what many would describe as "country club" casual.

Even if only going for cabin luggage only you can always wear it onto the plane.

Yes, definitely will be wearing a travel navy jacket or travel suit :) I read the dress code and we love dressing for a nice night out.

Oh no!

Of all the itineraries you could have chosen you went for Dec 21st. Can I apologise in advance for Mr Luxury's behaviour. I will do what I can but he normally travels with a large contingency of staff who sometimes get out of hand during their daily 45 minute break from service. Never look Mr L directly in the eyes and on no account make mention of his diamond encrusted Versace loafers :)

Right then, where to start....

The Sojourn is a great ship. Many on here prefer Sojourn to the larger Encore. I have to say we like both. This will be our 6th cruise on Sojourn and we are very much looking forward to it. The ship will have recently undergone a bit of an overhaul to introduce a TK diner / grill and a few other tweaks.

You have to take much of what is said on this forum with a pinch of salt. Many of the posters have enjoyed years cruising with Seabourn including cruises on board the smaller 3 sisters where tiny numbers of passengers (Sojourn is very much boutique cruising at 450 pax when compared to mainstream 3,000 plus), meant something of a bygone era. For me those ships would have been too small, Sojourn is perfect.

Posters on here are set in their routine and any variance from that is seen as cost cutting or a reduction in service. As a first time cruiser on SB turning up with an open mind you will be blown away. Walk into the bathroom in your suite and compare that to a standard cabin on a mainstream cruise line. That is the Seabourn difference.

Don't worry too much about your fellow guests. They come from all walks of life. Nobility such as Mr L and your typical peasant such as my good self yet we all seem to fit together and enjoy conversation at the bar, some banter during Trivia or bite to eat together.

I have done 4 Christmas cruises on Seabourn and can't say I've seen any of the ships over run with children. Our daughter 17 at the time of this cruise has usually found a couple of people her own age but there have never been marauding gangs wandering the decks and invading the elevators as there would be on mainstream cruise lines. If anyone's pushing buttons on the elevators it will be me and if you want to know where the giant chocolate santas go check our Mr L's presidential suite. I'm not casting any aspirations here but those bad boys don't walk there themselves :)

So ship, company and passengers will be excellent.

I haven't done the Caribbean with Seabourn before so you and I are breaking new ground together but I have no doubt that the Seabourn ethos will fit very well into the location. The BBQ beach day with caviar in the surf will be wonderful and it looks as though we are visiting some places not popular with the 3,000 - 5,000 pax giant ships so hopefully a more relaxed approach.

By all means if you have specific questions fire away either here or on the roll call. Dress code wise I must confess I like to try and smarten up at night, only because I don't have to in my day job as a lower deck hand but we don't judge. Avoid jeans and shorts in the main dining room, wear a shirt / polo / T-shirt top in the Colonnade during the day and hubby will be fine. Ladies just look great anyway.

Oh, and don't mention Mr L's gold encrusted Speedos either ;)

Look forward to saying hello over an iced drink poolside.

Henry :)

Hello Henry

There are not many things about the UK that we miss whilst living in France but British Humour is one of them!

Our French friends are always bemused by my husband's British humour but thank goodness he has it....

We are on the 10th November Cruise in the Caribbean on the Odyssey otherwise we would have loved to raise a glass to you by the pool.

Maureen

Henry,thank you for your kind words about my attire,I know I set the standards on board sartorially and will continue to do so as long as you are there also.

I now have a tattoo about my person that says Ludo but after a few drinks I do my party piece and then it says Llandudno

Where do we find the 1st time cruiser on Seabourn to get the $400 credit? We have spoken with them and they said that the ship goes into dry dock and will add 2 specialty restaurants at that time. Now only main dining room and Restaurant 2 are available. What is a good night to book R2?

Look at he top of this forum and you will see a sticky topic "Referral Thread." Post your request there and any Seabourn sailors who have an available referral voucher will contact you to make arrangements for the voucher. Do keep in mind that you cannot get the Ist time referral $400 OBC if you are already getting any shipboard credit from Seabourn either directly or from them passed on through your Travel agent.