Overnight in Nairobi on the way to Tanzania

alidor

We need to fly to Kilijimaro for a Tauck tour and the flights from Chicago are not very good. What if we fly into Nairobi and overnight there and fly out the next morning. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! By Kilimanjaro, do you mean Arusha?

We did a Tauck tour a few years ago that began in Arusha. We did not want to go through Nairobi because we would be in Nairobi at the END of the tour. We solved the problem by flying through Amsterdam. We stayed there for two days to break up the traveling and then took a great daytime flight on KLM from Amsterdam to Arusha. (But you could do it all in one day.)

On the way home, we flew from Nairobi to Paris, stayed a few days to break it up, and then flew home.

Possibly something like this would work for you.

We have traveled extensively for 50 years, and the Tauck tour to Tanzania and Kenya was our most favorite trip.

Hi! By Kilimanjaro, do you mean Arusha?

We did a Tauck tour a few years ago that began in Arusha. We did not want to go through Nairobi because we would be in Nairobi at the END of the tour. We solved the problem by flying through Amsterdam. We stayed there for two days to break up the traveling and then took a great daytime flight on KLM from Amsterdam to Arusha. (But you could do it all in one day.)

Some confusion here? Kilimanjaro is the main international airport serving Arusha and the one to which KLM fly direct out of Amsterdam.

Arusha airport is a smaller national/regional airport and I don't think there are any direct intercontinental flights to/from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP - your main options will be flying through Nairobi or Addis on Kenya or Ethiopian respectively. I have done overnight connections at both on my way to East African destinations and it can be pretty chaotic - on a through ticket you should get a hotel for the layover, but you kind of need to know the system!

I'd probably take the previous poster's advice and get the KLM from Amsterdam or Qatar from Doha to Kilimanjaro and avoid the African hub (both those flights have stops, but are direct, I believe).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your responses! The Tauck tour we are taking is a Tauck Bridges tour. It'll be our 50th anniversary and we are taking our 2 grandkids and daughter and husband on this trip! The flight lands in Kilimanjaro at about 8:30 pm and I was hoping for something to get in there earlier, like about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so that is why the idea of overnighting in Nairobi came in. And I definitely appreciate the fact that it sounds a bit difficult so I guess we will avoid that. Did not think of going through Doha and I will definitely look into that. Thank you!

You inevitably have limited options and it seems to be a truism that flight times are never particularly convenient in that part of the world. But the Qatar flight arrives in the afternoon, it seems from a quick look. That will mean overnighting in Doha, whereas the KLM will get you there the evening before (I suspect that's the flight you have looked at, possibly as a Delta codeshare?)

My second option would be an evening arrival with a reasonable change in Addis or Nairobi - I'd rather do that than a layover in either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

It's perfectly possible to overnight, of course, but you need to factor in immigration, baggage, customs, transfer to hotel and the reverse the next day. To me not worth the hassle if there are more direct options.