Where is the BEST EVER SNORKELING?? Molikini?Hanauma ? Kona Body Glove boat?

wadeod

I went to Molikini in 1991 and remember the snorkeling as awesome. Brought the family back a year ago and the kids loved it, but it just wasn't as great as i remembered 25 yrs ago (isn't that true about everything!). Im pretty sure I remember the buy back then throwing food into the water which probably isn't allowed anymore.

I thought Black Rock on Maui was just as good and the turtle came out to see me too! For "Free"

We are coming back in a couple months on the NCL POA and kids want to do Molikini again. But Im looking for something where I put my head underwater and see a ton of fish etc

Does anyone have an ultimate location or excursion on any of the islands?

Molikini?Hanauma ? Kona??

We booked the Zodiac snorkel trip from Kona, for our Carnival Legend cruise this September. We booked with the ship excursion as it was just a few dollars more that the private booking. We were wanting to go on our own to a beach to snorkel but taxi or hop on/hop off bus seemed just a pain compared to the excursion, plus the Zodiac trip offers up close views of interesting sites that we wouldn't otherwise see.

Hanauma is usually a crush of thousands of your new best friends.

Molikini is ok, better if you add the side trip to Turtle Town (sometimes called "City"). But Molikini itself can get crowded.

I don't know where Body Glove goes at Kona.

The best snorkeling around Hawaii changes with the sea conditions, and I am sure there is no one BEST EVER location. But I wouldn't expect to see the BEST EVER location on a cruise. More likely to see on a land tour. Lanai has been pretty good recently, in our experience.

Here is a thread about different snorkeling trips in Kona http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347647&highlight=Kealakekua

We chose Fair Winds because it goes to Kealakeku Bay which had the best reviews for snorkeling. There's also a Zodiac trip that goes there.

We have snorkeled at many places in Hawaii and the Caribbean. Captain Zodiac to Kealakeku Bay was the best!

We have snorkeled at many places in Hawaii and the Caribbean. Captain Zodiac to Kealakeku Bay was the best!

Great to hear. I've snorkeled and dove in some amazing places so my standards may be high, the rest of my family is less experienced but I want it to be amazing for them. My husband's not really a water/boat guy and kids are young so I think a day in a Zodiac might be too much, so Fair Winds seems like the best choice to get there.

Great to hear. I've snorkeled and dove in some amazing places so my standards may be high, the rest of my family is less experienced but I want it to be amazing for them. My husband's not really a water/boat guy and kids are young so I think a day in a Zodiac might be too much, so Fair Winds seems like the best choice to get there.

Fair Wind is great and Kealakekua Bay is beautiful. Body Glove goes to "Red Hill" which is also a great snorkel area just north of Kealakekua. Both have good food and excellent crew. We live in Kona and would recommend either to our friends when they visit.

Redline rafting on Maui has been our absolute favorite. We have done it twice and had an amazing experience both times. For me, I think large crowds ruin a snorkel trip. The fact that they only take about 20 people at once makes it great. They also take you to four spots (including Molokini very early before the crowds). They also take you to the back wall of Molokini which I think is better than the inside.

Fair Wind is great and Kealakekua Bay is beautiful. Body Glove goes to "Red Hill" which is also a great snorkel area just north of Kealakekua. Both have good food and excellent crew. We live in Kona and would recommend either to our friends when they visit.

That's helpful. Would you say one is better than the other at all?

• 2 weeks later...
That's helpful. Would you say one is better than the other at all?

For me, it's a toss up. Body Glove leaves from the same pier as the cruise ship tenders. You'd need to find transportation to the bay where Fair Wind sails from (about a 15-20 minute drive).

Edited by finest14

We have been on Fair Wind twice and really enjoyed it. It's a great excursion. However the very best snorkeling we experienced was on our own in Kauai at Tunnels - superb and easy right off the shore - there was even a monk seal basking in the sun on the beach. Another however Tunnels is lovely in the summer but can be dangerous in the winter months - ALWAYS ask the life guard about current conditions.

Another aside - should you be lucky enough to share your beach with a monk seal - DO NOT bother them in any way (this includes getting close - there is a reason why they are often surrounded by caution tape - a local organization does this to remind people that it is ILLEGAL (huge fine) to disturb monk seals in any way (they are endangered and need quiet time on beaches to rest). Take a picture and leave them alone.

We have been on Fair Wind twice and really enjoyed it. It's a great excursion. However the very best snorkeling we experienced was on our own in Kauai at Tunnels - superb and easy right off the shore - there was even a monk seal basking in the sun on the beach. Another however Tunnels is lovely in the summer but can be dangerous in the winter months - ALWAYS ask the life guard about current conditions.

Another aside - should you be lucky enough to share your beach with a monk seal - DO NOT bother them in any way (this includes getting close - there is a reason why they are often surrounded by caution tape - a local organization does this to remind people that it is ILLEGAL (huge fine) to disturb monk seals in any way (they are endangered and need quiet time on beaches to rest). Take a picture and leave them alone.

To that point, please don't disturb the turtles either...also illegal.

• 4 weeks later...

Just chiming in here, though it's been several years since we have been to Haunama Bay but the snorkeling was super. (In addition, the walk around to the outcropping to the left over to the next bay over to see the "toilet bowl" there was lots of fun and a unique experience!) Everyone fed the fish frozen peas so there were lots of them. It's true this bay can get very crowded and I would imagine being there when cruise ships are in port might make it even worse. We experienced some pretty good snorkeling right from the shore on Maui. I think maybe mile marker 14 or 21, north of Lahaina if I am not mistaken? As you drive along the road, you'll see cars parked and snorkelers just off shore in th water. If you see them, it's likely the snorkeling is pretty good at the time. (It's been a few years so I may be off on the mm #s). We snorkeled near the Sheraton Black Rock and that was even o.k. Yet Molokini was one of the biggest let downs snorkel-wise for us -ever! Our neighbors had recommended it, so I know that they saw sea life when there. So I guess "it depends". Again, that was also some years back and our visit was in early afternoon, but there was pretty much nothing to see. We'd even been told we might see a shark or 2 there, but even a few fish would have helped! We've snorkeled many places from numerous locations in the Caribbean, in various areas of French Polynesia, Brazil, both sides of Mexico, Florida and even Greece. I know that times of day, weather, storms, hurricanes in recent years - all sorts of things affect how a location might be on any given day. I can't speak with regard to the Body Glove locations. On Kauai we were on a dive boat and I only snorkeled around the surface. The water was about 60 ft. deep so mostliy I watched the divers at their stops.However, I did come eye to eye with a large turtle and there were spinner dolphins in the area so that was a treat. (I'd love to visit Tunnels!) Usually the snorkel and dive companies can give good info. for any particular day as they are often aware of the conditions and what's been around given areas they sometimes frequent. Happy snorkeling!

Edited by mlbcruiser