Crystal Changes Itinerary of River Ship's Maiden Cruise

LauraS

Wondering why? Are they concerned about water levels on the upper Danube? If that's the situation, it doesn't bode well for diverse itineraries.

The ship is late and has to be back in Amsterdam for the following cruise so and out & back from Amsterdam makes sense.

The scheduled Budapest to Amsterdam would allow that cruise to happen. Seems as though either they are concerned with river levels or they don't want the expense to deadhead.

There is insufficient time to get the ship to Budapest from when it is fully handed over and from where it is now...

The scheduled Budapest to Amsterdam would allow that cruise to happen. Seems as though either they are concerned with river levels or they don't want the expense to deadhead.

The ship had already had its first 2 scheduled cruises canceled as it wasn't ready on time. Just a little more slippage in time - not enough time to get it to Budapest.

I elected to cancel this cruise, since the amended itinerary missed out on both Budapest and Vienna. I chose the option to cruise for free on the original itinerary next year.

It would be interesting to know how many people decided to stay with the inaugural voyage after all, even though it's now a roundtrip from and to Amsterdam.

But I agree, the reimbursement package was very fair, either way.

Mark_T: How can you discern that she had some more sea trials? Each time I've looked at the map it appears she is docked right on the edge of the water and the listed speed is 0. Thanks.

Mrs. Claypool: We decided to stay on the amended itinerary (hey, it's free!) and also booked the original itinerary for next fall utilizing the 50% future cruise credit (almost free!).

Mark_T: How can you discern that she had some more sea trials? Each time I've looked at the map it appears she is docked right on the edge of the water and the listed speed is 0. Thanks.

Hit the button marked 'track' and you'll see the most recent movements.

She went out early this morning and returned late afternoon today.

Aha! Thanks Mark_T!

It's good to know that she's moving around, but I guess there's no way to tell if things are on time.

I guess I'm still a bit uncertain that she'll be ready to go on September 30.

When we were given the option to stay on this revised-itinerary cruise, Crystal stated: "Remain on the maiden voyage, traveling on a modified itinerary round-trip from Amsterdam as shown above, understanding this will be Crystal Mahler’s first full-service cruise..."

By stating "understanding this will be Crystal Mahler's first full-service cruise," that may signify that they don't anticipate all of the amenities will be available on the maiden voyage. But maybe I'm reading too much into this....:confused:

Any thoughts, anyone???

Save

"understanding this will be Crystal Mahler's first full-service cruise,"

I would translate that as 'not everything will work, staff will not know where anything is stored and someone will have forgotten to bring the spoons... :)

5 days since the last sea trials with no movement...

Still plenty of time to get everything finished and the ship relocated, but hopefully it isn't all going to be at the last minute, although with docking at a premium in Amsterdam they may very well be getting everything loaded where she is now and then only sailing just before the end of the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news, and thank you Mark_T for keeping us informed!

I had been following the (lack of) movement on the vesselfinder site, with no activity since September 7. This morning I saw a mass of tiny squiggles right at the pier on the tracking map, but an hour later they no longer showed up. Maybe they were playing around with the navigation system or the thrusters, who knows.

Not only was the Mahler handed over, it was also christened (by a volleyball player) today.

And how do you know that Crystal Mahler is about to enter the Kiel Canal? Any idea how long it takes to get to Amsterdam?

Thanks again for the breaking news!

And how do you know that Crystal Mahler is about to enter the Kiel Canal? Any idea how long it takes to get to Amsterdam?

Well, she is now a little over 2 hours into what should be about 8 hours to transit the canal.

If she is heading straight to Amsterdam she should be there early Friday morning I'd have thought.

She got to the exit from the Kiel canal around 3am then spent the morning there and left around midday.

Currently heading for Terschelling, and is expected to get there early morning Friday. Only a short hop from there to Amsterdam so I wouldn't be surprised if she waits there for a while before heading into the premium moorings in the city :)

The revised shore excursions are now on the PCPC (but not on the website). Unfortunately I cannot read the full descriptions of the newly added ones as I get error messages when I click on the links. I sure hope I have not signed up for any with supplemental charges.

I am disappointed that the Amsterdam canal boat is only offered on the first afternoon as any of us coming from Budapest that day are not likely to get there on time to take it. We have 2 other days in Amsterdam; surely it could be available one or the other of those as well.