Southwest points expiring...what to do

mitsugirly

So my husband has around 4800 points that are ready to expire in a month and they are sending emails on what to do with them. He has been flying for free for several years as my companion and that's why there is no activity on his account.

I looked up transferring the points to my account and you can only transfer in specified "groups" and the highest is 4500 for the amount we have. It would cost $45. Is it worth it to do this? I hate having to just let the points expire, but yet I hate having to pay for our points too. Is this supposed to be a "good deal"?

Thoughts...:confused:

I am confused. I thought SW points did not expire. :)

I thought the same thing. I'm not sure when this change occurred.

Your points don't expire*.

*Points don’t expire as long as you have flight-earning or partner-earning activity at least once every 24 months. Period.

I am confused. I thought SW points did not expire. :)

"In order to keep your Rapid Rewards® account active, you must earn qualifying{{*}} Rapid Rewards points at least once every 24 months. Log in to your account to view your last activity date information. If you have not had earning activity in the last 24 months, your points will be forfeited."

The rapid rewards shopping portal is your cheapest beat if you are going to buy something online anyway. The only issue might be the time frame when they post. You could also try staying at a hotel through the swa vacation site. Lastly can't you just buy points?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I am confused. I thought SW points did not expire

I think they don't expire if you're earning points on a SW CC, but if you earn points, just because you flew on SW, they do expire.

As others have said, if you can't use them, I'd donate them to Harvey relief.

I am confused. I thought SW points did not expire

I think they don't expire if you're earning points on a SW CC, but if you earn points, just because you flew on SW, they do expire.

As others have said, if you can't use them, I'd donate them to Harvey relief.

They expire if you haven't used them within 24 months. :)

I usually donate a bunch of miles to Make-a-Wish especially if it's on an airline that I don't travel on very often.

http://wish.org/ways-to-help/giving/airline-miles#sm.00000nbp0dauefd91u2x12ulpbo1a

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We travel A LOT (just don't use his points because he's my companion and flies for free over the last several years).

We travel A LOT (just don't use his points because he's my companion and flies for free over the last several years).

I understand that. I was just suggesting donating miles/points as an option if you don't want to buy something from the Southwest shop or purchase a plane ticket before the miles expire. Lots of places accept mile donations.