Upsells?

marylovestotravel

Though I haven't had first hand experience with this, I did discuss it with my agent last week. Of course, it depends on availability. These cabins are offered as an up sell if they become available at a late date or on some occasions they are offered as a free upgrade, to enhance your experience and build customer loyalty. This does not increase the number of passengers on the ship.

Viking tends to be more fully booked with limited if any openings for upgrades on a given cruise.

Sailed the Med on Silversea. Met folks who got a last weeks deal on a premier cabin for less than we paid for lowest rate cabin. Ship was 85% full. Our Viking Homelands cruise was 100% booked (maybe a cabin or 2 open from a very last minute cancellation, couldn't tell). Viking is making big bucks with their ocean ships.

I've been following this thread, as we have our first Viking cruise coming up early next year and I was curious about Viking upsells.

Based on the very few comments here, I'm thinking upsells may not be too prevalent on Viking... likely due to sailing being fully booked as mentioned.

After 20+ cruises (various lines) we now just book the cabin/suite we know we will be happy with, and leave it at that. If some offer does come our way, it's just a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back today from Viking Homelands. I tried to upgrade from Penthouse Veranda to Penthouse Junior Suite a few months ago and they were sold out. When I checked in on the day of the cruise they notified me that there was nothing available for an upgrade. I was willing to pay the retail increase in cost but no luck. As it was, the Penthouse Veranda was more than adequate and we had a great time. When we cruised the Med in January of 2016 on the Viking Star we met a number of people who were upgraded to bigger cabins without a charge and there was a problem with our cabin so after a few days they upgrades us to Penthuse Veranda for free. You can see if there are empty cabins before you leave.