Oriana v Ventura

darknightsdespiser

So, thinking of P and O to The Canaries next March and my dilemma is this: the dates suit better for the Oriana departure on 9th than the Ventura one on 25th but my choice of ship would be Ventura having really enjoyed the similarly sized Azura previously, HOWEVER not sure whether to opt for the busy bustling school holiday cruise or the more elderly Oriana clientele. I am 50 something and my Mum is 80 but we are very young at heart and I would be slightly worried about being bored on the Oriana, thoughts?

We have just come back from a week on Oriana and we loved her. Not been on Ventura yet (November :)) but have been on Azura and loved her too. Yes Oriana is quieter, but I don't think you would be bored. Loads of things going on, and so much entertainment in the evenings, it was difficult to know what to do. DH is 80 and I am 68 and lots of people older than us I think and lots younger, but age doesn't worry me really. Personally, I would not go in school holidays though, if I could help it ;p

It really depends what you want. Ventura is fine if you want a busy ship with lots of entertainment and if you don't mind rowdy families. Oriana is much more sedate due to the older clientele.

We were on Ventura in March and it was the worst of the 43 cruises that we have done, we then went on Oriana in June and had a fantastic time. We are a couple in our early 60s and generally enjoy being around people but we have started to think that P&O are turning Ventura into Benidorm at sea and are trying to attract a younger, brasher type of passenger. Ventura cannot, in my opinion, be compared to Azura which we were on 2 weeks ago. They are physically very similar but are poles apart in terms of enjoyment in my experience.

I am sure that there are lots of Ventura fans who have had totally different experiences to me on Ventura, you can only go and make up your mind about the ships depending on your personal experiences.

Whatever you decide to do enjoy your cruise.

The problem with Oriana (apart from it showing its age) is the entertainment seems to be aimed at a nursing home audience: think "Songs from the War" productions and comedians that would have been popular in 1970.

The additional problem is being a small ship if you don't fancy the entertainment on offer there is nothing else.

On the upside it does have a proper cinema not the amateur home cinema attempt that Ventura has.

The problem with Oriana (apart from it showing its age) is the entertainment seems to be aimed at a nursing home audience: think "Songs from the War" productions and comedians that would have been popular in 1970.

The additional problem is being a small ship if you don't fancy the entertainment on offer there is nothing else.

On the upside it does have a proper cinema not the amateur home cinema attempt that Ventura has.

Sadly, I think your comments regarding the style of entertainment applies to all P&O ships. We went to see Claire Sweeney in the Limelight Club on Britannia recently. She is a good singer, but having told us that the average age of passengers on the cruise was 48, she then proceeded to sing "We'll meet again" by Vera Lyn. We were older than the average cruiser on that cruise, yet found the music choices and entertainment to be mostly 'too old' for us. Most of the guest entertainers on P&O ships are 'has beens' or 'never been's!

I guess you need to think about what things are more important to you. There will be plenty going on aboard both ships but as I don't really sail aboard the larger ships, I can't comment on the entertainment. I was aboard Oriana for a week in June and didn't think the entertainment was particularly geared towards the elderly.

Some things to consider - the weather may not be very cooperative at the start and end of the cruise. Oriana is a better ship in rough seas, riding the swell well. If there is some poor weather, most pax will be spending more time inside the ship. I find the later Grand Class ships (of which Ventura is one) to be really crowded inside. There are more lounge-type areas on Oriana. Conversely, Ventura has a covered swimming pool so may be important if you or Mum are 'water babies'. Of late, P&O seem to be marketing Azura as a 'sophisticated' ship and Ventura as a 'fun' ship.

Hope that helps in some way - the choice is yours, as they say.

I guess you need to think about what things are more important to you. There will be plenty going on aboard both ships but as I don't really sail aboard the larger ships, I can't comment on the entertainment. I was aboard Oriana for a week in June and didn't think the entertainment was particularly geared towards the elderly.

Some things to consider - the weather may not be very cooperative at the start and end of the cruise. Oriana is a better ship in rough seas, riding the swell well. If there is some poor weather, most pax will be spending more time inside the ship. I find the later Grand Class ships (of which Ventura is one) to be really crowded inside. There are more lounge-type areas on Oriana. Conversely, Ventura has a covered swimming pool so may be important if you or Mum are 'water babies'. Of late, P&O seem to be marketing Azura as a 'sophisticated' ship and Ventura as a 'fun' ship.

Hope that helps in some way - the choice is yours, as they say.

We sail on both Azura and Ventura and we think there is little difference between them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We sail on both Azura and Ventura and we think there is little difference between them.

I am pleased to hear that is your experience Dai. There is another thread on this forum however that suggests others are finding a difference.

Sadly, I think your comments regarding the style of entertainment applies to all P&O ships. We went to see Claire Sweeney in the Limelight Club on Britannia recently. She is a good singer, but having told us that the average age of passengers on the cruise was 48, she then proceeded to sing "We'll meet again" by Vera Lyn. We were older than the average cruiser on that cruise, yet found the music choices and entertainment to be mostly 'too old' for us. Most of the guest entertainers on P&O ships are 'has beens' or 'never been's!

Well where are the acts to come from as most of the big names are way beyond cruise sips when they can fill 5000 seat or bigger venues.

Anyway it is not just P&O as most of the acts which you see move around the fleets. Princess, Fred, RCI and so on. When we were on Crown Princess my wife had seen three of the acts on P&O on other cruises.

Well where are the acts to come from as most of the big names are way beyond cruise sips when they can fill 5000 seat or bigger venues.

Anyway it is not just P&O as most of the acts which you see move around the fleets. Princess, Fred, RCI and so on. When we were on Crown Princess my wife had seen three of the acts on P&O on other cruises.

I have no doubt that they are all much of a muchness Dai. Sadly, the term 'cruise ship entertainer' is usually said in a disparaging manner! Friends of ours went on a US cruise line (can't recall which) and said that the main shows were far better than those on P&O as they were full scale productions, yet someone I work with did another US line and said that P&O shows were better. Anyway, we don't book P&O cruises for the entertainment (thankfully)!

I have no doubt that they are all much of a muchness Dai. Sadly, the term 'cruise ship entertainer' is usually said in a disparaging manner! Friends of ours went on a US cruise line (can't recall which) and said that the main shows were far better than those on P&O as they were full scale productions, yet someone I work with did another US line and said that P&O shows were better. Anyway, we don't book P&O cruises for the entertainment (thankfully)!

There are a number of very good acts around, my wife has a list.

4 Tunes

Opera Boys

Ben Makesi

Victor Michael

Will Martin

Peter Howarth

Jay McGee

Just some off the top of her head. She does go to more shows than me.

Non of the above are only on P&O.

I'm so pleased to hear a seasoned cruiser say that daiB. Having booked my first cruise on Ventura next year I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake having read some of the comments about her on here. I am now feeling somewhat reassured, thank you.

Les.

I'm so pleased to hear a seasoned cruiser say that daiB. Having booked my first cruise on Ventura next year I was beginning to think I had made a big mistake having read some of the comments about her on here. I am now feeling somewhat reassured, thank you.

Les.

Well we have no favourites but we have 5 cruises booked on Ventura in the next 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I am on Ventura next week to the Canaries and Portugal. It's my first cruise on Ventura and I've been reading a lot of bad reviews recently...is it simply a different crowd during the summer holidays? I notice more seasoned cruisers tend to cruise earlier or later in the year outside the 'school holiday period'. Does that mean Ventura is a more enjoyable experience at these times of the year? I do try to keep an open mind when reading reviews (about Ventura) but it does start to become a cause for concern when there is so much negativity! There is also conflicting information regarding how Ventura copes in rough seas...

Can someone please set me straight as to what to expect from Ventura?

Thank you!

My wife prefers the Azura to the Ventura but is unable to say why. I can see no difference in service, decor, types of people or how the ship behaves at sea. We both thoroughly enjoyed both ships in and out of school term time. Never been on the Oriana so unable to compare.

I am on Ventura next week to the Canaries and Portugal. It's my first cruise on Ventura and I've been reading a lot of bad reviews recently...is it simply a different crowd during the summer holidays? I notice more seasoned cruisers tend to cruise earlier or later in the year outside the 'school holiday period'. Does that mean Ventura is a more enjoyable experience at these times of the year? I do try to keep an open mind when reading reviews (about Ventura) but it does start to become a cause for concern when there is so much negativity! There is also conflicting information regarding how Ventura copes in rough seas...

Can someone please set me straight as to what to expect from Ventura?

Thank you!

It is a different crowd outside the school holidays, for one thing there will be far fewer families with school age children, therefore the average age of passengers will be greater, and of course the cost is cheaper. I tend to find that those who are able to cruise outside the main school holidays are more likely to either take longer cruises, or cruise more often, so much less inclined to try to cram everything in and therefore more relaxed. (Apart from those who are only happy when they have something to moan about, which does increase with age).

It is a different crowd outside the school holidays, for one thing there will be far fewer families with school age children, therefore the average age of passengers will be greater, and of course the cost is cheaper. I tend to find that those who are able to cruise outside the main school holidays are more likely to either take longer cruises, or cruise more often, so much less inclined to try to cram everything in and therefore more relaxed. (Apart from those who are only happy when they have something to moan about, which does increase with age).

That is us exactly. Not the last bit in brackets :) We take longer cruises and do more of them. And we avoid the school holidays as the price goes up. We have been found out.

Oooh Thanks daiB, beginning to panic about our cruise on Ventura in November :o

None of the ships are 'bad', but they are are all different and appeal to different customer types. Our last 2 cruises were on Britannia and Aurora and the difference in passenger profile between the two was enormous. We would prefer to share our cruise with the passengers we had on Aurora, but we love Britannia as a ship and she has better restaurants, facilities and cabins. Ventura and Azura are our two least favourite ships, but we wouldn't rule out a cruise on either of them if the itinerary was right. We actually preferred Ventura to Azura, but couldn't put our finger on why.

While I'm not a fan of RCI, their entertainment is outstanding and way above P&O, Princess and Fred.

None of the ships are 'bad', but they are are all different and appeal to different customer types. Our last 2 cruises were on Britannia and Aurora and the difference in passenger profile between the two was enormous. We would prefer to share our cruise with the passengers we had on Aurora, but we love Britannia as a ship and she has better restaurants, facilities and cabins. Ventura and Azura are our two least favourite ships, but we wouldn't rule out a cruise on either of them if the itinerary was right. We actually preferred Ventura to Azura, but couldn't put our finger on why.

And our favourite is good old faithful Oceana despite having been on larger and newer P&O ships. I think they call ships 'she' because they are all different and have a personality. Totally agree with Selbourne, none are bad, it is what suits each individual and appeals to different personalities - and people in different stages of their life. A bit like picking a friend or partner ;-)