Young Couple Looking for a Seattle Round Trip Cruise to Alaska

cruisinisahabit

Hello and thank you for any information you can provide us on our search for our first cruise.

My wife and I are both adventurous 27 year olds and are looking for a May 2018 cruise out of Seattle to Alaska and back. We both love to find the best deal when it comes to travel, so my main question is when do the best deals come out for cruises? Next, we would like a cruise line that has the best included features like food, fitness areas/classes, shows, etc. We are foodies and tend to travel to areas based on the food offerings, so we'd like the overall best food cruise line without having to pay for the upgraded restaurants. Also, we love to do DIY travel so any help on excursions that we can do ourselves would be a great help. Lastly, we aren't big on clubs and dance parties, but we do like to enjoy drinks with a view so we'd like a cruise line with as many bars with a view as possible. Again, thank you for any help!

Hello and thank you for any information you can provide us on our search for our first cruise.

My wife and I are both adventurous 27 year olds and are looking for a May 2018 cruise out of Seattle to Alaska and back. We both love to find the best deal when it comes to travel, so my main question is when do the best deals come out for cruises? Next, we would like a cruise line that has the best included features like food, fitness areas/classes, shows, etc. We are foodies and tend to travel to areas based on the food offerings, so we'd like the overall best food cruise line without having to pay for the upgraded restaurants. Also, we love to do DIY travel so any help on excursions that we can do ourselves would be a great help. Lastly, we aren't big on clubs and dance parties, but we do like to enjoy drinks with a view so we'd like a cruise line with as many bars with a view as possible. Again, thank you for any help!

There are only 9 ships doing 21 cruises in that period, just check the Cruise Critic reviews for those and hopefully you'll find what you like. (https://clickclickcruise.com/aef5c.)

My guess is that all of them have free food, but all specialty restaurants come with a (small) surcharge.

Have you talked to a travel agent? They can help you get an idea of what is offered and which are strongest in the areas you are interested in

We are steering clear of a TA because a certain frequent flyer program we use very often has a cruise booking portal that actually has pretty good deals compared to the cruise line websites.

There are only 9 ships doing 21 cruises in that period, just check the Cruise Critic reviews for those and hopefully you'll find what you like. (https://clickclickcruise.com/aef5c.)

My guess is that all of them have free food, but all specialty restaurants come with a (small) surcharge.

I've gone through many reviews but it's hard to compare and was hoping to see what I could find through this thread. Thanks though.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Nearly every major cruise line -- the food in the dining room and the Lido is free.

Cocktails may be one of your bigger expenses.

At least stop by a travel agency and pick up some brochures.

Choose a cruise that visits either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

Princess may be a good fit for you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Nearly every major cruise line -- the food in the dining room and the Lido is free.

Cocktails may be one of your bigger expenses.

At least stop by a travel agency and pick up some brochures.

Choose a cruise that visits either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.

Princess may be a good fit for you.

We're hoping to find a glacier bay cruise so I'm guessing that may cross out a few options.

We plan to get an alcohol package for wine and cocktails.

From what I've gathered so far, I'm most likely between the HAL Eurodam, the Ruby Princess, and Norwegian Pearl if that helps.

We're hoping to find a glacier bay cruise so I'm guessing that may cross out a few options.

From what I've gathered so far, I'm most likely between the HAL Eurodam, the Ruby Princess, and Norwegian Pearl if that helps.

From what I have found, those are the only ships sailing from Seattle in May that call on Glacier Bay.HAL tends to draw an older clientele. Last year, I sailed Ruby to Alaska and enjoyed it. Check the Alaska board for more information, especially regarding excursions.

IN addition to any responses you gt on CC, there are lots of good books on cruising AK. Suggest that you check them out at your public library.

DON

I started with a travel guide book that gave good summaries of the different cruise lines, and also about many of the ports of call. Glacier Bay has a limited number of permits available, which is why you find only a few cruise lines going there. In my case it was a great way to whittle down the list, from the many different cruise lines to choose from. Then I found Cruise Critic and the vast wealth of information and reviews available, which helped me make my final choice -- Ruby Princess in 2018!

Good luck with your search. I am finding that planning the cruise is its own kind of joy!

If you're a member of AAA, or know someone who is, pick up cruise booklets from several cruise lines and decide from there.

We cruised Alaska round trip from Seattle in 2007 on NCL Pearl. We weren't fans of that particular line. We just cruised Alaska again last month but on RC Radiance of the Seas, Seward to Vancouver. Loved the ship!

Good luck with your search. Alaska is beautiful.

Karen

I would not suggest HAL for you. They tend to appeal to an older crowd than the other lines. I've not sailed princess but haven't heard much good about them. Norwegian had the best entertainment of the lines that fit what you are looking for. Their MDR food leaves something to be desired but the specialty restaurants are very good. Celebrity has IMO the best food of the lines that fit your needs but their entertainment is hit or miss. Personally, if you are interested in the beverage package anyway, NCL and celebrity routinely include the beverage package in your booking so something to consider when price shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on the Pearl and was very happy with it. I loved the lounge with their comfy chairs to set on ( I am lounging on one of them in my picture ). And it has other nice lounges to relaxe with a drink. They have amazing ceiling to floor windows for looking out while relaxing. I did not have anything bad to eat at any of my meals and I even went bowling while we were sailing. It was amazing to see Glacier Bay from the balcony on 2 of my cruises on her. I can't say anything about the other 2 ships since I haven't been on them. I always booked my own tours with the locals. They are very reliable and I had great tours with them. I think every one should see the whales on a tour since there is no guarantee you will see them from the ship. See what the ship has to offer when you decide which one you want to sail on and that will give you an idea of all the things to do in the ports. Then decide what you want to do. I do recommend not to book the tram in Juneau before hand. Weather can determine whether it will be a good idea or to take it or not. Read a lot of the posts here for as much info as you can to get you ready for your wonderful cruise you are going to have. I always give the same advice to new cruisers--

Take sea sick meds before you get on the ship to prevent sea sickness and take for a few days into the cruise. Don't over pack and get to the port city the day before the cruise so you wont miss the ship and you can enjoy Seattle. It is a great city not to be missed. Have a great time.

I would not suggest HAL for you. They tend to appeal to an older crowd than the other lines. I've not sailed princess but haven't heard much good about them. Norwegian had the best entertainment of the lines that fit what you are looking for. Their MDR food leaves something to be desired but the specialty restaurants are very good. Celebrity has IMO the best food of the lines that fit your needs but their entertainment is hit or miss. Personally, if you are interested in the beverage package anyway, NCL and celebrity routinely include the beverage package in your booking so something to consider when price shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed HAL on my first Alaska cruise, and would disagree. Yes, there are older people, but it's not a geriatric cruise, there's all ages on it, and since the OP isn't looking for dance clubs and loud bars, this could be a good choice. HAL is a mainstream cruise line that has a bit more elegant feel to it.

On my HAL Amsterdam cruise to Alaska last year, it was truly a multigenerational passenger mix. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. There were even groups of 20 - 30 year olds in addition to families with children.

Roz

We wanted to go to Alaska too, and ended up booking the Ruby Princess Glacier Bay cruise the first week in June 2018. It is our first cruise, too. We chose Princess mainly so we can go with some seasoned cruisers who love Princess, but to be honest I love that itinerary. People say Glacier Bay is best for the first cruise, and other itineraries are better for your second or third time.

We are foodies too, and will probably splurge for a nicer restaurant one day. Their normal food is supposed to be really good, too, especially in the main dining room.

I really wish we could go on a more luxury cruise line, like Crystal or Silversea, but don't want to spend that much on our first cruise, when we don't even know if we like cruising. Our biggest concern is seasickness. I get seasick, so I will probably combine ginger pills with a travel patch.

My sister had such a bad experience on Norwegian that we wouldn't consider them. I don't know much enough about Holland America to compare it with Princess, though.

We wanted to go to Alaska too, and ended up booking the Ruby Princess Glacier Bay cruise the first week in June 2018. It is our first cruise, too. We chose Princess mainly so we can go with some seasoned cruisers who love Princess, but to be honest I love that itinerary. People say Glacier Bay is best for the first cruise, and other itineraries are better for your second or third time.

We are foodies too, and will probably splurge for a nicer restaurant one day. Their normal food is supposed to be really good, too, especially in the main dining room.

I really wish we could go on a more luxury cruise line, like Crystal or Silversea, but don't want to spend that much on our first cruise, when we don't even know if we like cruising. Our biggest concern is seasickness. I get seasick, so I will probably combine ginger pills with a travel patch.

My sister had such a bad experience on Norwegian that we wouldn't consider them. I don't know much enough about Holland America to compare it with Princess, though.

You shouldn't blame the ship on your sisters sea sickness. All ships are fitted with the same stabilizers and go out of Seattle through the same open waters to get too Alaska. It might have been because she had bad luck with her meds, had the wrong cabin location or simply was in the front of the ship too much the first day. That is when you will be out in open water more and it will have the most up and down movement up there. Ask if they have ginger ale to drink also if you feel a little woosy. Have a great cruise.

You shouldn't blame the ship on your sisters sea sickness. All ships are fitted with the same stabilizers and go out of Seattle through the same open waters to get too Alaska. It might have been because she had bad luck with her meds, had the wrong cabin location or simply was in the front of the ship too much the first day. That is when you will be out in open water more and it will have the most up and down movement up there. Ask if they have ginger ale to drink also if you feel a little woosy. Have a great cruise.

Oh, it wasn't just seasickness. They lost her luggage and she was in a cabin with a bad, bad sewage smell. It was a whole lot of things. It wasn't Alaska, though. I just figure I will try other cruise lines :) I feel like I made progress just planning a cruise at all, since I always said I wouldn't ever go on one. I feel like such an adventurer!

Thanks for the good wishes! We are looking forward to our cruise! I do like that the Alaska cruises in the inside passage have a reputation for calmer seas.