SHORE EXCUSIONS - Marquesas, Tuamotus & Society Islands

Pops150

Hello All,

I am considering this 14-day cruise for late November 2017. It was recently featured in "Mighty Ships," the Smithsonian series (which I find fascinating).

The cruise looks like something I'd enjoy but, looking at the number of shore excursions, I am wondering - if a guest skips the majority of shore excursions (very expensive), then what will their day be like?

I assume we can go ashore and I assume most ports will have something of interest for me. How right (or wrong) am I?

Many thanks,

Pops

We've done the PG cruise 5 times but not the one that visits the Marquesas. The Marquesas are reported to be beautiful and from reports the excursions there are all land based and you can see the sites yourself. Remember that in Taha'a you can go to Motu Mahana, the PG private motu (highly, highly recommended) for the day at no charge. On Bora Bora you can also go to the PG motu, again at no extra charge.

Moorea is a port that deserves either an excursion or rent a car and see the sights easily for yourself (about $80-$90 for the car rental).

IMHO you have to get out on the water to snorkel a few times. Bora Bora is a must (consider the excursion Pure Snorkeling by Reef Discovery) as is Rangiroa.

I've done the Marquesas, and I must say it's worth doing an excursion on at least a couple of the islands. Yes, you can get around a bit on several, but there are wonderful things to see away from the port in a couple of cases. If you're interested I can see if I can reconstruct what we did on which island. I do remember taking an SUV trip up and across the Taipivai Valley on Nuku Hiva which was memorable (although there is a real town there, so you could just walk around--there's a pretty church, for instance). We did three excursions on three islands, and all were small groups on an SUV. Not much Engish spoken there, a bit of French goes a long way.

In the case of the Tuamotus, some kind of water excursion is usually recommended. We did just walk around on one of those islands, and I went in the water from shore and we people-watched. But if you love the water, an excursion will be worth it.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Hello and thanks!

You and another kind person have provided almost identical tips and they seem like the sorts of activities I'd enjoy.

I'd favor some over-the-road sightseeing and also mild beach and snorkel stuff on the PG islands. Looks great. As well, wandering around a port, enjoying the older architecture, trying some local snacks - all this is in my wheelhouse.

I guess more than anything else I look forward to meeting folks with diverse likes and backgrounds!

You are nice to offer a "reconstruction" but please don't unless it would be fun for you!

Best wishes,

Pops

Some islands are rather hard to do something on your own. A few you can rent a car but on some renting a car can take an act of God.

Most islands are best experienced by excursion let it be private or though the PG.

In the Marquesas it all about the islands.

On Motu Mahana you can enjoy the free private island, same on Bora Bora though missing a circumnavigate of the lagoon is a real must. Huahine you can go into the town of Fare.

On Moorea I would rent a car one day and do an excursion that takes you to some of the beautiful vistas.

Hard to understand when a couple blows a huge amount of money for a 14 day cruise to paradise that tossing in another $1000 for excursions should be an automatic. Why spend so much to only short change your experiences.

Thanks but you may have misunderstood. I will easily drop close to $500 on SEs but I'll also be content to stroll around ports and towns, see a few sights, taste some local food, etc.

After 11 trips on the PG my suggestion is to budget at least $1,000 per couple for excursions. Although we have done most excursions and seldom do more than two or three this is what it comes to. This will allow you to both do some excursions and do the walk around that you want. If you wanted to fill your entire cruise with excursions i would suggest a minimum budget of 2000$ per couple and upward if you are interested in the premium excursions.

You will not be able to truly enjoy the beauty and flavor of the islands from the tender docks. Unlike Spain for example, where a quick stroll will give you a wonderful essence of the churches, markets and bars here, very often this is not the case.

Not sure which islands you will go to. When we did it, it was Nuku Hiva, Hiva Oa, Fatu Hiva and, ...uh, ...Ua Huka.

There was no excursion available in advance in Fatu Hiva so we just walked through the village and up the valley a bit. I would have taken a 4x4 trip inland if I could have. Thor Heyerdahl's first wild experience and book were based here.

On Nuku Hiva, as I said, you could just walk around town. It's the most developed island and the port has a real town. We did a wonderful trip across the mountains, through the Taipivai Valley, written about by Melville in Taipee, largely fictional but still interesting. They also had a store open selling tapa cloths, which originate in the Marquesas, so if you're interested in that type of art, here is a chance to buy it.

Hiva Oa is where Gauguin and Brel hung out, they're buried there. I believe you can take a shuttle or cheap taxi to the relevant sites (a museum I think.) We took a 4x4 to one end of the island, which was nice, but not really memorable.

Ua Huka is a desert-like environment, very strange but beautiful, different. The tropical vegetation has mostly been eaten by wild horses and perhaps goats. They are known for wood carvings, and I got a small rosewood cheese tray. We also took a 4x4 trip there.