Castaway after Irma

DCLCrazy

All I've heard at this point is that Irma largely bypassed the Bahamas. (Castaway Cay is part of the Bahamas). This from the national news. St. Maarten was greatly damaged--70% or more of homes destroyed, the airport non-functional, and the Dutch Army sent personnel to control looting. The US State Department is evacuating US citizens who didn't follow their recommendation to leave before the storm. St. Thomas has damage, but not nearly as much as St. Maarten. Barbados is completely destroyed. Turks and Caicos also in very bad shape.

I couldn't tell how CC made out, but I watched the Nassau web cam this morning ( Sunday ) from the Colonial Hilton and they were setting up beach chairs . It looked breezy but I did see sunshine .

Atlantis has a note on their website that everyone and everything there is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know how CC has been effected now that the hurricane has passed by? I know I read somewhere that all the CMs were evacuated. What about the island itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there!

The latest story we have on Florida ports is here: Florida Cruise Ports Shut Down for Hurricane Irma, however we are currently working on an update of the status today. Stay tuned to our news page for the latest!

All the best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Fingers crossed that Castaway Cay escaped the brunt of the storm and there's little or no damage. Until the CM's are returned to the island there won't be any real news. But I'm sure it's going to be coming soon, the Dream which evacuated the CM's from CC is starting to head north from where she was positioned near the Fantasy in the Yucatan Channel for the past few days. So it's possible she may be headed to CC to evaluate the condition of the island and see if there's any work that she can assist in accomplishing before returning to Port Canaveral to return to passenger service.

Fingers crossed that Castaway Cay escaped the brunt of the storm and there's little or no damage. Until the CM's are returned to the island there won't be any real news. But I'm sure it's going to be coming soon, the Dream which evacuated the CM's from CC is starting to head north from where she was positioned near the Fantasy in the Yucatan Channel for the past few days. So it's possible she may be headed to CC to evaluate the condition of the island and see if there's any work that she can assist in accomplishing before returning to Port Canaveral to return to passenger service.

This makes sense. Yes, the Fantasy has not moved, but the Dream is heading north and is now a significant distance away from the Fantasy. DCL is supposed to issue an announcement tomorrow; I'm sure that will depend on what the status is at Port Canaveral.

For what it's worth, we did a 3-day / 4-day B2Back on the Dream during late August, 2011. First cruise was right-smack-dab amidst Hurricane Irene which hit CCay pretty hard.

By the 2nd cruise, CM's had been on-shore at CCay for a day or so and had done a reasonably good job putting most things (NOT everything) back in order. Not perfect but Disney quality -- we were so grateful to reach the beach.

We were always in good hands and appreciated DCL's honest communications, best efforts and (obviously) high regard for safety.

Supposedly (according to my cruises Facebook group) a DCL cast member posted that CC sustained minimal damage and that they will be back there on the 13th.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

Interesting. The Dream hasn't gotten there yet. Wonder how they know. It is, of course, totally possible that they got reports from some of the people they work with on the nearby islands.

This makes sense. Yes' date=' the Fantasy has not moved, but the Dream is heading north and is now a significant distance away from the Fantasy. DCL is supposed to issue an announcement tomorrow; I'm sure that will depend on what the status is at Port Canaveral.[/quote']

Looks that way. Yesterday, the Dream was in the Yucatan channel and now it is heading east past Cuba.

Looks that way. Yesterday, the Dream was in the Yucatan channel and now it is heading east past Cuba.

As of this morning, the Fantasy is off the west of Cuba. The Dream is north of Havana--between Cuba and Key West. So both are on the move and in the right direction. There is a cluster of cruise ships that look like little gnats swarming near PC--none are Disney ships. It looks like they might be waiting for a port opening announcement. There are no ships near any of the various private islands in the Bahamas.

Marinetraffic.com this morning is showing Dream quite some distance from Castaway Cay and heading north at 8.6 knots with a destination of Port Canaveral, which is interesting because she was supposed to be at CC today. Apparently, they have skipped CC and are slowly headed to PC.