Taking luggage off early

Ozy71

We are on the Solstice on the Auckland to Sydney cruise in November 2017. It overnights in Melbourne, and then overnights in Sydney. We live in Melbourne and would like to take most of our luggage off then. Will there be any problems with doing so?

I am sure Customs will want to check luggage coming off the ship prior to the debarkation port.

Of course, but will that have to be Melbourne, the first entry into Australia? The debarkation port is Sydney.

I seem to remember we got off the ship early once and the customs check luggage on board. Also it is overnight in Sydney, which I would think guests would be leaving the ship over the the two days.

Of course, but will that have to be Melbourne, the first entry into Australia? The debarkation port is Sydney.

I seem to remember we got off the ship early once and the customs check luggage on board. Also it is overnight in Sydney, which I would think guests would be leaving the ship over the the two days.

The "face to face' customs clearance for paxs is normally done on the ship before arrival into Sydney, Customs officers will board in NZ and process the guests before arrival. The fact that you visit Melbourne first may mean that they will not board the ship until then, and then process between Melbourne and Sydney. They do not necessarily "physically"check all luggage (they know what they are looking for ;p ) but as you are wanting to take luggage off before Sydney it would obviously "attract their interest" and they would want to have a quick look, but more so Quarantine, in case you may have items not permitted to enter Aust. There is absolutely no problem with what you want to do but make the ship aware of it.

Even though you are over nighting in Sydney, guests will not "normally " debark until the 25th as once again ,customs and dept agriculture are not in place until then

The "face to face' customs clearance for paxs is normally done on the ship before arrival into Sydney, Customs officers will board in NZ and process the guests before arrival. The fact that you visit Melbourne first may mean that they will not board the ship until then, and then process between Melbourne and Sydney.

The immigration/passport clearance will be done before the first port of entry to Australia, so Melbourne in this case.

What that means for luggage handling not sure though; expect as earlier mentioned it will be light since most won't be finishing their cruise there.