Evening drink

G. GIRL

Hi,

We are going on our first Viking cruise next May from Greece taking in the Dalmatian coast and ending in Venice. We are very excited about it.

We've read that they don't mind you bringing a bottle of something for the cabin so we may get some at Gin duty free.

My question is what are the bar prices like? My hubby is partial to the odd Grey Goose and coke or a top notch brandy. Are they reasonable?

Photos of the 2016 bar menu are included in the pictures I posted on Shutterfly. Here is a link to them. Scroll down to the second album called "Paperwork" to see them. You don't have to be a S'fly member in order to view them.

Thanks for that link. Have sent it to SIL who is doing this cruise next year.

Hi,

We are going on our first Viking cruise next May from Greece taking in the Dalmatian coast and ending in Venice. We are very excited about it.

We've read that they don't mind you bringing a bottle of something for the cabin so we may get some at Gin duty free.

My question is what are the bar prices like? My hubby is partial to the odd Grey Goose and coke or a top notch brandy. Are they reasonable?

We did your cruise from Istanbul and it was just beautiful . We did our cruise on or about the same time of year in 2016 . All the ports where Great . I started to say that Santorini and Venice where my favorite, but then I remembered Dubrovnik and Paula and Now I have to say "They are All Wonderful " . You can go and get your bottle of gin , I have a passion for Grey Goose and tonic - at 7.00 a drink I didn't even think of temping my taste buds more than buying it from the Very Friendly Bar Staff on the Viking Sea. We hope you have a Great Cruise - Viking will treat you right!

LOL. So is my brother. We loved it. But, the 2018 itinerary is different from the one we did in 2016.

From memory they go South from London into the Channel and not north until they venture east. And then north.

From memory they go South from London into the Channel and not north until they venture east. And then north.

Pushka, if you were looking at my photos, then you were looking at the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary, which does Scotland and Norway and doesn't get near the English Channel. Which itinerary is your SIL doing?

Pushka, if you were looking at my photos, then you were looking at the Into the Midnight Sun itinerary, which does Scotland and Norway and doesn't get near the English Channel. Which itinerary is your SIL doing?

I'm not sure of exact dates - June or July but it's called Into the Midnight Sun. Or very similar. Ends in Bergen I think and starts in London at Greenwich.

Thanks for your replies.

We are old hands at Santorini having had two amazing stays in a cliff side cave house in Oia. We hired a private tour guide who took us all over the island. So we are actually planning an on board day when we dock at Santorini to enjoy the ship.

Thanks for your replies.

We are old hands at Santorini having had two amazing stays in a cliff side cave house in Oia. We hired a private tour guide who took us all over the island. So we are actually planning an on board day when we dock at Santorini to enjoy the ship.

I certainly can't argue against enjoying the ship, but if you are early enough in May, you may want to reconsider. When we were there on your same itinerary (a fabulous trip, by the way) in April this year, the Star was the only ship in port. We had the island more or less to ourselves. That was a very special experience.

I know what you mean by Santorini being a special experience, we had two weeks at the Ikies Traditional Houses. Our terrace was chiselled out of the cliff and had panoramic views of the Caldera. Every evening when all the tourists would flock to a viewing point at the end of the village to see the sunset we would be sat with cocktail on our terrace having the full view.

At the moment the only thing that would entice us off the ship is the Santorini tomato fritters, you can't get them anywhere else and they are delicious!

Hi,

The last time we were there we set upon the ' Tomato Ball Challenge ' as they are also referred to. We ate them in about 7 restaurants and at that time a restaurant in Oia called Thalmi ( I think that's the spelling) won. But an out of the way restaurant and not very sprctacular looking near the bus station called pizza Edwin did their version that had a bit of chilli in it and they were great.

Our favourite restaurant is just outside the village called Animomolis and is a no frills taverna but the Mammas do the cooking and they knock the socks off the hyped up restaurants in the town. I had the worst dining experience of my life for my 50th in what was supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Oia.

We will return as Oia is just so beautiful but then again we did do it in a top grade hotel which made it even more special.

Hi,

The last time we were there we set upon the ' Tomato Ball Challenge ' as they are also referred to. We ate them in about 7 restaurants and at that time a restaurant in Oia called Thalmi ( I think that's the spelling) won. But an out of the way restaurant and not very sprctacular looking near the bus station called pizza Edwin did their version that had a bit of chilli in it and they were great.

Our favourite restaurant is just outside the village called Animomolis and is a no frills taverna but the Mammas do the cooking and they knock the socks off the hyped up restaurants in the town. I had the worst dining experience of my life for my 50th in what was supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Oia.

We will return as Oia is just so beautiful but then again we did do it in a top grade hotel which made it even more special.

Hi GGirl, We'll be staying in Santorini after our cruise in 3 weeks. We'll be staying in Imervoglia (spelling). Can you recommend any other restaurants? Thanks, Pat

At the moment the only thing that would entice us off the ship is the Santorini tomato fritters, you can't get them anywhere else and they are delicious!

Wish we had known that back in April! I don't know if we will ever make it back there, so I am afraid we have missed our chance.

P.S. Now you have me inspired - I have found some recipes for Domatokeftedes on pinterest. Maybe I will give it a try before the last of the Maryland tomatoes are gone for the year!

I'm not sure of exact dates - June or July but it's called Into the Midnight Sun. Or very similar. Ends in Bergen I think and starts in London at Greenwich.

Okay. Same cruise. If you have shared my photos with her, please warn her that the itinerary has changed since I did it in 2016. Alesund, Bronnoysund and Bodo are OUT and Lofoten and Molde are IN. Plus the ship docks in Greenwich on the Thames and not in Harwich (which was a two hour drive from the airport).

Okay. Same cruise. If you have shared my photos with her, please warn her that the itinerary has changed since I did it in 2016. Alesund, Bronnoysund and Bodo are OUT and Lofoten and Molde are IN. Plus the ship docks in Greenwich on the Thames and not in Harwich (which was a two hour drive from the airport).

Yep. And she's already shared it along with someone else. She's looking forward to Greenwich departure and the Naval history.

Wish we had known that back in April! I don't know if we will ever make it back there, so I am afraid we have missed our chance.

P.S. Now you have me inspired - I have found some recipes for Domatokeftedes on pinterest. Maybe I will give it a try before the last of the Maryland tomatoes are gone for the year!

Best of luck. I've tried to make them with British tomatoes and it doesn't work. Apparently the Santorini tomatoes are dense and have little water content and that's the secret.

Hi GGirl, We'll be staying in Santorini after our cruise in 3 weeks. We'll be staying in Imervoglia (spelling). Can you recommend any other restaurants? Thanks, Pat

Hi, you are a good taxi ride from Oia so can't recommend any restaurants where you are but I can give you a bit of advice. Avoid the hyped up 'fancy' restaurants and find the family run tavernas. We've given many a try and by far the simple places that serve traditional Greek food are the best. One night our waiter recommended a green bean dish to have with the lamb and it was to die for. We told him how much we had enjoyed it and he said he had only just picked them from his garden. That's the sort of place you want to find. Enjoy your stay.

Hi, you are a good taxi ride from Oia so can't recommend any restaurants where you are but I can give you a bit of advice. Avoid the hyped up 'fancy' restaurants and find the family run tavernas. We've given many a try and by far the simple places that serve traditional Greek food are the best. One night our waiter recommended a green bean dish to have with the lamb and it was to die for. We told him how much we had enjoyed it and he said he had only just picked them from his garden. That's the sort of place you want to find. Enjoy your stay.
We'll have a car so we'll be able to explore a little. Great tip on searching for the local tavernas 👍Thanks, Pat

• 1 month later...
Photos of the 2016 bar menu are included in the pictures I posted on Shutterfly. Here is a link to them. Scroll down to the second album called "Paperwork" to see them. You don't have to be a S'fly member in order to view them.

Loved the pictures! We are departing 12/1/17 on our first Viking Ocean trip and they are very enlightening. Thank You