Need help finding a cruise - Italy - July 2018

Bellablue

Looking for help! We want to travel to Italy with my parents and I'm thinking the best option to visit multiple cities is a cruise. I'm having an issue with either most ports of call aren't in Italy or the Italy only cruises seem to not be kid friendly. Our boys will be 10 and 8. Any advice is welcome.

All of the mass market lines are kid friendly. What makes you think some aren't? Med cruises are very port intensive, few sea days and long hours in port. Thus you wouldn't have much opportunity use lots of bells and whistles. Plus the ships doing the most Italy ports, especially in the Adriatic: Venice, Bari, Ravenna - are not the largest and newest. You need to find the itinerary that fits your needs and not focus so much on the ship. EM

If your interest is Italy, consider a land trip. We used to rent a large apartment in Rome, and take the train to make a couple day trips to other cities (Florence, etc.). We would hire private guides for several tours and had a great time.

If you are set on a cruise, agree that you need to choose based on the itinerary, because you won't spend much time on the ship. Any mass market line is "family friendly."

I agree that any ship with an itinerary you like will be fine with the kids, since you will mostly be using the ship as a floating hotel/restaurant and not have time to use the bells/whistles after long port days.

I also agree that for Italy, much as I love cruising for families, a land vacation can be a good choice. Train Rome to Florence to Venice, spending a few days in each can be wonderful, though does take more planning than a cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on how much you want to see, how much you want to relax, how much time you have, how fit you and your parents are, and how much money you care to spend.

Our first trip to Europe was a 12 night Mediterranean cruise - for we signed up for every excision. We didn't see nearly as much as we wanted. We were 50 and we needed a vacation when we got home. When we went back we went with 3 other couples for 2 weeks, rented a villa in Tuscany, rented a car and went at our own pace. We hired private guides for Florence and Rome. You won't be able to do everything. Your parents likely won't feel like doing everything. Half the fun is planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends on how much you want to see, how much you want to relax, how much time you have, how fit you and your parents are, and how much money you care to spend.

Our first trip to Europe was a 12 night Mediterranean cruise - for we signed up for every excision. We didn't see nearly as much as we wanted. We were 50 and we needed a vacation when we got home. When we went back we went with 3 other couples for 2 weeks, rented a villa in Tuscany, rented a car and went at our own pace. We hired private guides for Florence and Rome. You won't be able to do everything. Your parents likely won't feel like doing everything. Half the fun is planning.

As for the kids - we had great kids. We did Disney cruises with them at that age because that's what they liked at that age. Good luck!!!