Booking next cruise while still on the ship

Windsorontario

I am going on my first cruise in January with my daughter on Norwegian Epic. We do a family trip every year with my husbands side of the family. For January 2019 they would like to do a cruise. I am pretty sure we have made our decision on which cruise to do. Would it be worth it to do the large booking while on the ship? Do you actually save any money. We would be booking 4 rooms that are balconies. Thanks!!!

There is no benefit from booking on board on NCL ships, what is a good deal is buying a Future Cruise Credit for $150 and its worth a $200 deposit on a cruise for 7 or more days. They are transfrerable, valid for 4 years from time of purchase. OP might want to look into purchasing these for the next cruise.

It all depends on the line. I once paid an "advance deposit" of $400 while on a HAL cruise - which did not commit us to any particular itinerary, which could be applied to any future cruise and which gave us each a $100 on board credit - since we then sailed about a year later, that on board credit amounted to a 50% return on the deposit - which a,out of funds Ina savings account might have yielded about 3/4%. That sort of thing only makes sense if you are fairly certain that you will book within the time frame - but if you are sure, it is a good deal.

I just recently booked an NCL cruise while on another NCL cruise, so I can weigh in. The benefit to booking onboard was that they gave me a better cabin class. So I was put in IA while paying for IH, or whatever the lowest letter designation is (a mid-ship, high-deck cabin for the price of a forward, low-deck cabin). It seems to have come out to about a $600 difference versus booking it myself. There was just recently a price drop on that cruise, and even with the price drop, I paid less for that cabin that what they're currently charging for it. All in all, I'd say that if you know you want to book a certain cruise in the near future and you're about to go on a cruise, book it while you're onboard.

Of course, you can also get the CruiseNext thing, with 50% off your deposit, but that's available off the ship, too.