Atlanta Airport Help

hollon

I've flown to atlanta but I always panic b/c of the short time there. I'll be on Delta from Knoxville to Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale .I do have 50 mins. So when I get off delta, do I go downstairs to the train and find my terminal and then when I get off the train, go up the escalators to find my terminal again. Any suggestions so we're not stressed out will help. Dont we look for a sign in the middle that says train? Thanks

I would recommend downloading the Delta app to your phone so you can stay on top of any potential last minute gate changes.

The Plane Train is the name of the system but the signs in terminal are for those of other concourses. The train is in one line through the middle of the concourses.

50mins isn't a huge amount of time for an airport of ATL's size but I've had shorter connections at made it to the gate before boarding starts. There are a large number of flights between ATL and FLL, even if you miss yours you have a decent chance of making one that day. If not you can always ask about MIA or PBI flights.

I would recommend downloading the Delta app to your phone so you can stay on top of any potential last minute gate changes.

The Plane Train is the name of the system but the signs in terminal are for those of other concourses. The train is in one line through the middle of the concourses.

50mins isn't a huge amount of time for an airport of ATL's size but I've had shorter connections at made it to the gate before boarding starts. There are a large number of flights between ATL and FLL, even if you miss yours you have a decent chance of making one that day. If not you can always ask about MIA or PBI flights.

Thanks, I have the app and I check often if the next flt is full and so far it isn't. I guess I'll know closer to time. I'm suppose to leave next friday. I'm a bit confused. So the train in the middle is to a different concourse correct? So I'll only need to use this is say I land in A and need to go to C, correct? So what is the plane train? Thanks so much for you help

So when I get off delta, do I go downstairs to the train and find my terminal and then when I get off the train, go up the escalators to find my terminal again.

Do check the monitors (or the app on your phone) before heading to the train. There is always a chance your next flight will be in the same concourse, in which case, you won't need the train.

Do check the monitors (or the app on your phone) before heading to the train. There is always a chance your next flight will be in the same concourse, in which case, you won't need the train.

In Atlanta, all of the DL gates have a GIDS (Gate Information Display System). They are "personalized" for each gate - as you leave the jetway, there will be a screen nearby within the gate area (usually hanging from the ceiling). This display shows the connecting flights and gates for those folks who are INBOUND on the arriving aircraft. They do NOT show all flights, but only those for the pax at that gate. DONT use one in another gate house. Instead, look at the display as you get off the aircraft and see what your connection is. In general, it's easier to go through that shorter list than the multi-screen bank showing all the flights which you find in the concourses.

Depending on which concourse you are arriving, the escalators to the train can be roughly found here:

T Concourse - T8

A & B Concourse - A18/B18

C Concourse - C30

D Concourse - D24

So when you see your gate on arriving at ATL, you can figure out whether to go right or left depending on the way gates are running. You can follow signs for other concourses or baggage claim to get to the escalators - they all use the train. Once you get to the escalators, be sure to get the correct one, so you get on the train going in the correct direction.

Atlanta is a very logically laid out airport. Take some time time familiarize yourself with a terminal map (found in the app, in the Sky Magazine onboard, or at THIS LINK) so you mentally understand what's going on.

In Atlanta, all of the DL gates have a GIDS (Gate Information Display System). They are "personalized" for each gate - as you leave the jetway, there will be a screen nearby within the gate area (usually hanging from the ceiling). This display shows the connecting flights and gates for those folks who are INBOUND on the arriving aircraft. They do NOT show all flights, but only those for the pax at that gate. DONT use one in another gate house. Instead, look at the display as you get off the aircraft and see what your connection is. In general, it's easier to go through that shorter list than the multi-screen bank showing all the flights which you find in the concourses.

Depending on which concourse you are arriving, the escalators to the train can be roughly found here:

T Concourse - T8

A & B Concourse - A18/B18

C Concourse - C30

D Concourse - D24

So when you see your gate on arriving at ATL, you can figure out whether to go right or left depending on the way gates are running. You can follow signs for other concourses or baggage claim to get to the escalators - they all use the train. Once you get to the escalators, be sure to get the correct one, so you get on the train going in the correct direction.

Atlanta is a very logically laid out airport. Take some time time familiarize yourself with a terminal map (found in the app, in the Sky Magazine onboard, or at THIS LINK) so you mentally understand what's going on.

Oh, you make it sound so easy, I forgot about the GIDS by the gate, ok if I have to go down to the train how will I know which correct direction the train is going in, sorry can't word that correctly. Don't want to go in the wrong direction

Oh, you make it sound so easy, I forgot about the GIDS by the gate, ok if I have to go down to the train how will I know which correct direction the train is going in, sorry can't word that correctly. Don't want to go in the wrong direction

At the center where you go down to the train, there will be signs saying which concourse is which escalator. You don't have to worry about "which way", just go down the escalator marked with your desired destination. The train that will appear where your escaltor dumps you is the one you want to take. Deliberately staggered so you only see one direction of train travel.

For example, if you arrive on B, the signs will point to one escalator for A, T and Baggage Claim. The other sign will point to the escalator that take you to C, D, E & F. Follow the correct one and it's close to foolproof.

Flyertalker has given you great information. Yes, ATL is huge and busy and crowded but it is very easy to get where you need to go.

• Check GIDS screen at your arrival gate to see where your connecting gate is.
  • Move straight ahead to the main walkway through your arrival concourse and check the signs in each direction to see whether to walk left or right to get to the trains/other concourses
  • Check the escalator signs to see which escalator to go down. As he posted, one will take you to a train going in one direction for concourses in that direction; the other will take you to the train that goes to concourses that are in the other direction.
  • Trains will come by every minute or two, and it only takes a minute or so to get to the next concourse.
  • Get off at the appropriate concourse and go up the escalator; follow the signs to your specific gate number within that concourse.

If your aircraft arrives on time and you don't have any mobility issues, 50 minutes is fine. If you're seated in the very back of the plane it may take a little while to deplane, so don't dilly dally around. I often have connections in the 30-40 minute range and always make it just fine, often including a restroom stop.