Think you dont need trip insurance or Passports?..........

rp23g7

It was just about a year ago, we became Mexican citizens for 3 days. This was on Princess, but it can happen with any line.

First, PRINCESS CRUISES ROCKS AT TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

long post coming.

We were on the Grand for the Sept 25 Mexican Riviera 10 day cruise.

We did not have trip insurance on this cruise, Ah we don't need it for this cruise...........Ooops.

We have Passports and Passport Cards, but our Passports had expired a month before and we didn't notice until a week before, OOOPS,

We were in Puerto Vallarta on the 29th of September, on our own. We have branched out and have discovered all sorts of cool places on our own, There is a awesome little Cantina in the middle of the jungle outside of Puerta Vallarta by the way.

My wife was shopping for t shirts in the city when she stumbled on a step, tried catching herself and dislocated her shoulder. This was about 3 or so, plenty of time to meet the 8:00 departure time.

We discussed what to do with our cab driver, we decided to go back to the ship first. Medical was awesome, but the x ray machine was not working.

So they took us to Amerimed, a few blocks from the ship.

Amerimed took our health insurance but the translations etc, took so long that we were not able to get the procedure done in time since she would need to be sedated and watched for a hr.

So about 730 Fidel the port rep called me,said he would need to have me come back disembark and we would need to stay the night in Mexico.

Princess again ROCKS, and so does Amerimed, the hospital driver took me back, Princess had packed my room and the Hospital guy took me back to the hospital, they had preformed the relocation and Carly was ok.

Fidel the port rep booked us a room in the Holiday In Express next door, and we discussed what to do, either take a bus to Manzinillo the next day or go home. But the Dr. did not speak English, and the nurse that did, didn't translate what the dr said correctly, so we decided to go home.

We decided to go home, so I booked a flight for Saturday.

Princess customer care also called me directly from California to ask if everything was ok and if they could do anything, even though they had no responsibility for anything really.

So, remember I said we had Passport Cards? Well I just happened to remember that they were only good for land/sea travel and not flying. OH OH. This was about 5 on Saturday.

I called the Customs office and united and they said there would be no issue, umm ok. I called Fidel the port rep and he said there would probably be no issue, but call him again when at the airport if there were problems.

Soooo. we got to the airport Saturday, up to the counter, Need passports, don't have passports, cant travel, and its not "HAHA, we may not let you go home" or "HAHA you cant leave" Its looking you dead in the eye and saying" YOU CANT TRAVEL WITHOUT A PASSPORT, YOUR NOT GOING ANYWHERE"!!!! OH, OH, got in touch with head customs and immigrations guy at airport, 45 minute wait, big hand slap, got everything taken care of.

I had called Fidel again during this, and he said the answer is always No, at the counter but customs usually takes care of it, but to call again if they wouldn't do it and he would come to the airport. It is pretty scary though facing the possibility of being stuck in a different country.

Soooo......we got on the plane to San Francisco, made it to San Francisco, and the fun was just beginning.

3rd degree from US Customs after standing in line and WINNER we get to go to secondary customs, the land of strip searches and the Spanish Inquisition, I bet a lot of sweating goes on in that room, waiting for your fate. I overheard a Asian lady getting a "second chance" and getting her fine waived for something.

Actually they guy was nice and just needed to verify our addresses and stuff. only took about 15 min.

Made it home Saturday night and booked our 2017 Caribbean cruise and our 2018 Panama Canal cruise with trip insurance and renewed Passports. YIPPPEEEEE

WOW, I am so glad that it eventually worked out for you. Damn, that must have been a scary adventure that I know I sure as hell never want to have. Thank goodness the port agent (aka Princess) was able to take such good care of you. I hope that those who "self insure" (do get insurance) take a minute to read the wisdom of buying trip insurance.

It was just about a year ago, we became Mexican citizens for 3 days. This was on Princess, but it can happen with any line.

First, PRINCESS CRUISES ROCKS AT TAKING CARE OF THEIR CUSTOMERS.

long post coming.

That is one heckuva story!! Glad you got home and hope your wife is recuperating quickly.

This is why I do not understand those who try to convince people not to get passports! :rolleyes:

I consider passports and travel insurance to be required in order for us to cruise or travel by plane. There are too many "what-if" scenarios to take the risk.

I don't think that's actually what happens here.

OP, how much money did this end up costing you that insurance would have covered?

Our health insurance covered it, just had to wait about a month before getting reimbursed, about $3500 for that, airline tickets were $500 one way for two, Puerto Vallarta to San Francisco, to Seattle.

Holiday Inn Express in Puerto Vallarta for 2 nights was about $60

...I consider passports and travel insurance to be required in order for us to cruise or travel by plane. There are too many "what-if" scenarios to take the risk.
... I hope that those who "self insure" (do get insurance) take a minute to read the wisdom of buying trip insurance.
According to OP they were out about $230pp. Travel insurance would have cost maybe $100pp. Net loss $130pp. I have taken about a hundred (100) cruises. I do have $100,000 evacuation insurance, health insurance good worldwide and a valid passport. I have NEVER purchased trip insurance and am ahead thousands of dollars. I would have to have at least three catastrophes to get down to even.

Thom

This is why I do not understand those who try to convince people not to get passports! :rolleyes:

I consider passports and travel insurance to be required in order for us to cruise or travel by plane. There are too many "what-if" scenarios to take the risk.

Of course, the op needed neither.

Your title:

Think you dont need trip insurance or Passports?..........

So unless I'm misreading this, based on your results the answer is NO you don't need either.

Exactly!

Normally a helpful port rep would have mentioned this up front, that they would need passports to fly. Not sure who you talked to at customs in the phone or United, but stopping at the embassy is what was needed.

You needed new passports.

Though you actually didn't. Somehow you managed to get on a plane from a foreign country without passports. Lucky. I would have expected to stay the weekend plus a few more days and hundreds of dollars to get those emergency passports.

I see it often. Usually a set few that repeat the same posts.

More like someone comes here asking if they need it. Some including me say no. Closed loop Caribbean with no Cuba, no you don't need a passport. No one says it's not a good idea to have it or tells the person they shouldn't get it.

Guest maddycat

We don't travel without travel insurance and our up to date passports.

From reading your post the most important lesson for some is to have a credit card with a high credit limit. You had to lay out over $4,000 dollars for medical, air fare and hotel plus whatever you spent on meals. Your expenses could have been much higher.

According to OP they were out about $230pp. Travel insurance would have cost maybe $100pp. Net loss $130pp. I have taken about a hundred (100) cruises. I do have $100,000 evacuation insurance, health insurance good worldwide and a valid passport. I have NEVER purchased trip insurance and am ahead thousands of dollars. I would have to have at least three catastrophes to get down to even.

Thom

I was thinking the same thing. They really only lost $560 (if I read their response correctly). I was expecting them to say they lost thousands.

Thom

They also lost out on half of their cruise (injury occurred on day 5 of 10 day cruise). Travel insurance would have reimbursed them half of their cruise fare.

I was thinking the same thing. They really only lost $560 (if I read their response correctly). I was expecting them to say they lost thousands.

You're forgetting the cruise fare. We've had to cancel a week before for family illness and without insurance we would've been out close to $4K. It's all about your risk tolerance.

Gregg

Glad this all worked out, but I agree with other posters that you actually proved the opposite point. You presented yourself with what documentation you had, told your story, answered a few questions, and were permitted to travel. This just confirms my thought that in an emergency, a US citizen will be able to get home just fine.

Signed,

"Good to have a passport but I'm not about to shell out $600+ for my kids to get them for an occasional closed loop cruise"

Many people post that in the event of an emergency on a ship, you can be stranded in another country, with no hope of getting home if you don't have a passport.

Your post said exactly the opposite, that although you had some hassles, you still made it home, with very little effort. You didn't exactly sell anyone on getting a passport.

I guess if you don't have medical coverage, trip insurance would help, but I have medical coverage, so you medical cost would be covered for me, less a deductible. Maybe, I would get some reimbursement from travel insurance, but your story, as unfortunate as it was, really didn't give a strong reason.

I have an "annual" policy for medical and transport that also covers rental cars, and help with prescriptions etc so I'm not saying you should not have any, but I need it for my wife primarily and we travel extensively world wide. So I have a passport.

Just because they got home without a passport, does not mean YOU will.

Most places, the airline would not board you, as they get fined a LOT for boarding you without a valid passport.

And you may run into the CBP person having a bad day, and not get in so easily.

Been airlines people I can tell you the laws are more strict now than ever. You do need a passport if you have to fly back to the US from out of the country, No exceptions made. Also been in insurance for so many years, you do need Insurance and believe it or not US insurance and Medicare do not cover outside the US, They tell you to pay upfront and file your insurance, But they do not pay, It also covers helicopter ride to the nearest hospital no questions asked. I suggest that you do get it. For the minimum price I would add it to the cruise. RCCL is great with that. I have seen lots of people have heart attacks, strokes, broken armsm kegs etc. You just never know and for 59.99 or 69.00 dollars it is worth it. :)