Trip Cancellation Due to Work Requirement

TravelBear1

Hi everyone,

First post on Cruise Critic. My travel partner and I have a book a cruise departing next month. We purchased trip protection through Travel Insured. My employer has indicated that my travel partner may be asked to work the week we are on the cruise.

In reviewing our policy, it does state that a "written statement by an unrelated company official and/or human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required."

My question, and should he be required to work, what would a written statement constitute and who would be considered an "unrelated company official?"

Further, it states individuals who are self-employed are excluded. Anyone have experience with this?

I'm assuming that if he as to work, and I decide to go on the cruise, I would be covered under the solo supplement benefit, but only if he cancels his trip for a covered reason.

So much to process and thank you to anyone who can help

An unrelated company official is someone who is not related to the person cancelling the trip. In other words, a family member can't write a note for him. If it is a family-owned business, he'd have to get someone in a management position who is not kin to him to write the letter.

A simple statement that his previously granted time off has been recalled because of business demands should be sufficient.

I don't have any knowledge of how the policy works for self-employed people; but if it says those people aren't covered, I expect they are not.

You should still be covered for the single supplement if you decide to go anyway.

Hope it works out for you.

It really doesn't matter why your travel partner cancels does it?

Your policy should pay your supplement if your partner cancels

Your partner could be uninsured and it wouldn't matter as long as you insured yourself

Unless you live under the same roof and are related you can't get a joint policy anyway

2 unrelated people traveling together need their own policies

This I know from traveling with friends

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually it does matter. Many policies will only pay the single supplement charge if the travel partner cancels for a covered reason. If it not a covered reason, then no insurance coverage.

If that's the case in this situation.....and they are in the no refund period....then the travel partner should just be a no show...no supplement and the pax that cancels gets tax and port back

If the travel partner will lose their cruise fare...and their insurance doesn't cover it...then the pax that can cruise should just cruise and the other be a no show

but if the pax that can travel has the proper policy that policy should cover their supplement if any regardless

Also in cases like this where the employer is totally to blame...that employer is responsible for that lost cruise fare

Take that as you will...

Also in cases like this where the employer is totally to blame...that employer is responsible for that lost cruise fare

Take that as you will...

You're making way too many assumptions.

1. Was the time off pre-approved?

2. Is the person an exempt employee or a non-exempt employee?

3. Are their union regs involved here?

4. Is this a 1099 contract employee?

OP only provided generalized information, therefore we can only provide generalized information

You're making way too many assumptions.

1. Was the time off pre-approved?

2. Is the person an exempt employee or a non-exempt employee?

3. Are their union regs involved here?

4. Is this a 1099 contract employee?

OP only provided generalized information, therefore we can only provide generalized information

Everything you posted is exactly what I presumed.....

And if the answers to your above questions lay the blame at the employers feet then yes they owe the employee any lost fare

E.g. If the answer to number 1 above is yes there employer approved the time and let's add for fun...that there is no stipulation that the employer can renege on that approved time off....the employer can "indicate" all they want about time off....but if they force you to cancel they owe you the lost fare

Wether you get it or not is another story...but the employer is still responsible for your financial loss