YTD - dine as a couple or sit at a large table to meet new people?

CA_Cruzing

DW and I are cruising sans kids for the first time (yay).

So do people prefer to dine as a couple or does Carnival also assemble larger tables comprised of other couples for people to meet other cruisers at dinner?

I can honestly say that in 21+ years we've never dined as a couple for 8+ nights straight. The joys and benefits of raising kids for so many years (and a few more still left).

We usually ask for a table for two, but many of those are so close to each other that it's almost like sitting at a larger table. It gives you the option of keeping to yourself or striking up a conversation with those around you. We've done both.

I would dine as a couple ... but that is just me and everyone is different! I could not stand the idea of sitting at a table of strangers ... I have done it two times at brunch ...... I try to never go to the main dining room but maybe once a cruise if that

Your seating arrangements are totally up to you. If you want to be with other people unrelated, then ask the maitre'd and you will be seated accordingly. If you want a two top (table for just two) so you can enjoy yourselves "alone" (I put alone in quotes because the tables for two are generally pretty close to other similar tables), then ask for it. We prefer a table for two but again, it's totally your choice and you can change it from dinner to dinner.

We do YTD so that we don't have to sit with strangers at dinner.

We like having a table for 2 .

IF we meet folks we like on the cruise and they also have YTD then we can arrange to meet them at dinner and sit with them.

You may feel differently.

There may/may not be other couples who will also want to be seated at a larger table.

So do people prefer to dine as a couple or does Carnival also assemble larger tables comprised of other couples for people to meet other cruisers at dinner?

First part - Do people prefer to dine as a couple?

I don't know what people in general prefer. Dh and I are outgoing and like to sit with others. So far, on the occasions where we have cruised without our kids, we've always been assigned to tables consisting of other couples. On one cruise, we were assigned to a table for four, but the other two people never showed up. That was nice too. We like to socialize but it does take energy.

We did the dining time where we sat the same table every night at 6:00 with 2 people who were nice but we had little in common with. I also am spending the entire time with my hubby so I prefer not to sit at a 2 top at dinner too. We always do YTD now and ask for a table with people when we feel like it. One thing I don't know how to ask is, can we sit with a table of somewhat younger people? We are very youthful, active 52 year olds with no children. Hubby is a personal trainer, I work in a large co in IT with millenials. I'm glad to chat with new people but It's often hard to relate to retired folks talking about grandkids. I wish the cruise lines would stop segregating the tables by age. I love diversity.

When doing YTD we always request to be seated with others, aka a "sharing table." Often this request cannot be honored since many others doing YTD request a table for two. They want to fill the larger tables in a short time frame (10 to 15 minutes) so that the wait staff can efficiently service the table and that the first persons seated are not waiting so long for the table to be filled.

DW and I are cruising sans kids for the first time (yay).

I can honestly say that in 21+ years we've never dined as a couple for 8+ nights straight. The joys and benefits of raising kids for so many years (and a few more still left).

You ask what I prefer? I am outgoing enough to sit at a table with complete strangers. I find it's a great way to meet other couples.

In fact, a winter cruise in 2013, when my wife and I met another couple from Alabama at a table for 8, we hit it off so well that we exchanged information and have now cruised with them 7 of the last 9 cruises, with 2 more booked with them.

Look at it as a chance to make new friends, some that can change your life. I look at my new friends as family now.

Do not request a larger table if you have plans for after dinner. Last cruise we were asked if we would mind joining a larger table on formal night. We were the first two seated. We were provided a wine list but there was no follow up. We had to wait until the table had been filled before they took our dinner order. The last couple to be seated ordered double appetizers, double entrees, double desserts. The rest of our meals were prolonged as we were always waiting for this couple to complete round two of each course before the staff would bring the the next course. The meal took so long that about half of the table left without ordering dessert. To top it off, while we met some nice people that evening, the couple with the healthy appetites were not the most pleasant table companions. We had planned on going to production show & comedian after dinner and were only able to see comedian.

Always had good experiences sharing tables for at least the length of dining, nothing bad I can remember but no lasting friendships created either. Our next cruise we do not have a set seating so that will be a new experience for us. We always dine in the dining room and don't use the buffets. It is usually easy to find some common interests at worst case talk about your port plans.

Our upcoming cruise will be our longest so far without kids (4 nights) and I am really looking forward to dining alone with DH. I am an introvert, so I would just as soon eat alone as I would with a table of strangers.

Speaking of which, could I dine alone at brunch/breakfast? DH is not a breakfast eater but I am going to have breakfast served to me every day I can, with or without him! I am perfectly happy reading a book while the world goes on around me.

I think we prefer dining with other couples when we cruise without the kids. DW and I seldom run out of things to talk about, but if it's just us, the conversation will often drift to real life's concerns. It feels like more of a vacation when we spend our mealtime sharing vacation experiences (past and present) with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our upcoming cruise will be our longest so far without kids (4 nights) and I am really looking forward to dining alone with DH. I am an introvert, so I would just as soon eat alone as I would with a table of strangers.

Speaking of which, could I dine alone at brunch/breakfast? DH is not a breakfast eater but I am going to have breakfast served to me every day I can, with or without him! I am perfectly happy reading a book while the world goes on around me.

Yes you can dine alone. I've done the same and it's quite relaxing too. And don't forget to order mimosas. I usually ask for a table with a window and enjoy seeing the waves as we cruise on down to wherever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mom and I cruise together, but we always prefer to sit at a table for two. Neither of us like the idea of sitting with total strangers and having to make small talk, but that is our preference. Everyone will have a different opinion on what is best.

We did the dining time where we sat the same table every night at 6:00 with 2 people who were nice but we had little in common with. I also am spending the entire time with my hubby so I prefer not to sit at a 2 top at dinner too. We always do YTD now and ask for a table with people when we feel like it. One thing I don't know how to ask is, can we sit with a table of somewhat younger people? We are very youthful, active 52 year olds with no children. Hubby is a personal trainer, I work in a large co in IT with millenials. I'm glad to chat with new people but It's often hard to relate to retired folks talking about grandkids. I wish the cruise lines would stop segregating the tables by age. I love diversity.

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I can TOTALLY relate! I'm feel I fit the "50 is the new 30" philosophy and am quite fit and run half marathon's regularly as well as work full time in the IT industry. I would also prefer to sit with more active diner's myself. I'll have to figure out how to word this appropriately because I'm sure I would not have anything in common with retired cruiser's as well.

Not to mention, I'm going with my best friend (been friends since single digits) and chose YTD so that we don't get stuck at a table with people we don't have anything in common with all week. We are hoping to meet lots of new people at dinners. :)

We usually sit at a two top, and then if we feel like it, we can socialize with the other two top next to us.

That's what we do, too. Oftentimes, we have met lovely couples next to us that we have socialized with after.

On our last cruise, we were early dining at a large table with strangers. It was a 5 day cruise and none of the couples showed up the entire cruise so we ate by ourselves. It was the strangest thing because I checked and others were assigned. What's the odds of no one ever showing up for one night?

We usually sit at a two top, and then if we feel like it, we can socialize with the other two top next to us.

Agree. We find this the best. But Im the talker, my wife is not. Last cruise met a couple who were about 10 years older but our sons were same age. Turns out both are in the Skateboarding business. Our son's in Brooklyn, he in L.A. he's in manufacturing, ours runs a large school and shop. Both now have a great business relationship and happy their dad's are outgoing, lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app