Summit Oct. 28, 2017 revised port

fedexretiree

Just spotted this port change from St. Thomas to St. Croix. However hurricane Marie is just about to hit St. Croix from what the Weather Channel says so this is not a for sure either. No telling how San Juan will withstand this hurricane either. God bless the people from these islands and please keep them safe.

saw this today on the web:

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (Reuters) - Hurricane Maria slammed into Puerto Rico on Wednesday as the strongest storm to hit the U.S. territory in nearly 90 years, turning streets into debris-laden rivers, damaging buildings and cutting power, after killing at least nine people in the Caribbean.

I'm on the 10/28 Summit cruise and actually thrilled to go to St. Croix as I've never been, and not a huge fan of St. Thomas. However, the devastation is just unreal and I'm conflicted about how I will feel having so much fun and relaxation knowing others have lost their homes and livelihoods. We'll see how San Juan recovers, I guess. Hoping and praying for the best. I've not dealt with any hurricane situations before on past cruises.

Sadly I think that Celebrity will need to choose a different port for the home base of the Summit. This will, of course, disrupt many passengers who have booked the cruise perhaps it in an opportunity. As opposed to basing the ship in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, maybe it is an opportunity to go head-to-head with the Breakaway and stay in Bayonne? I love sailing from Bayonne and would book again if that were the case.

Sadly I think that Celebrity will need to choose a different port for the home base of the Summit. This will, of course, disrupt many passengers who have booked the cruise perhaps it in an opportunity. As opposed to basing the ship in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, maybe it is an opportunity to go head-to-head with the Breakaway and stay in Bayonne? I love sailing from Bayonne and would book again if that were the case.

or bring her to the westcoast. It's definitely looking like San Juan is not a viable option for the next little while.

San Juan's mayor just reported there will be no power for 4 - 6 months

"San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz said in an interview on MSNBC that half of the city is under water and she anticipates the island nation will be without power for four to six months."

Saw that and also saw that the entire power grid is basically destroyed and will have to be rebuilt. And the utility (and PR in general) is having a fiscal crisis. Not good.

We are on this cruise -scheduled to fly In to San Juan on oct 25. I’m so sad to see the news of the flooding and destruction. While I hope we can still go on our vacation, I’m saddened that the residents of both San Juan and st croix are dealing with such hurricane destruction. At this point we will wait to hear what the plan will be for the Summit. I am hoping we can still go on a vacation at that time, maybe with a very revised itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

or bring her to the westcoast. It's definitely looking like San Juan is not a viable option for the next little while.

I doubt it they will bring her to the West coast due to charters leaving from Ft Launderdale end of January. Would mean 2 repositioning cruise real close to each other.

We are due to sail on her January 13th.. Let's just say I booked a refundable hotel at Fort Lauderdale on January 12th just in case...

Edited by angelhelly
Added something

4-6 months for the entire island, not necessarily San Juan. Just because the power grid is destroyed does not mean generators are out of the question. The navy happens to be dropping off quite a few high capacity generators as we speak. The airport will be open later today and I would be willing to bet San Juan will have power back within a week or so. RCCL Adventure of the Seas is docking in San Juan on Sept 27. I doubt the itineraries or home port of the summit will change all that much. Most likely St Martin is out of commission for 2-3 months. St Thomas a little bit less. St Croix probably even less. Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, and Martinique are more or less good to go to accept cruise passengers.

4-6 months for the entire island, not necessarily San Juan. Just because the power grid is destroyed does not mean generators are out of the question. The navy happens to be dropping off quite a few high capacity generators as we speak. The airport will be open later today and I would be willing to bet San Juan will have power back within a week or so. RCCL Adventure of the Seas is docking in San Juan on Sept 27. I doubt the itineraries or home port of the summit will change all that much. Most likely St Martin is out of commission for 2-3 months. St Thomas a little bit less. St Croix probably even less. Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados, and Martinique are more or less good to go to accept cruise passengers.

The Equinox stop in San Juan on 9/28 was cancelled.

Hope your projections pan out...and may be so for some places you mentioned, From what we see on TV and online, many places are quite destroyed, just like areas of Texas and Florida,

. What would cruisers do in places that have no stores, restaurants, clean waters clean beaches,..? If St Maarten is still a port on our Jan cruise, we'll stay on board. We were booked for a Flavors of St Martin excursion but the restaurants are gone, esp in Grand Case...not to mention the lawlessnes....kind of scary,