Urgent Birth Certificate Question

Gamecock_Cruiser

It says "This is a true certification of name and birth facts recorded in this office."

Then it should be fine. My husband has a small, green one that is his official BC from his state. It was tattered and torn, but still readable and it was fine. He even used it to get a Passport about 12-13 years ago. Not all of them are on full size paper. Don't know if it would work now for obtaining a Passport, but it did back then. Not sure there is a long form for him. But we only cruise with Passports now so we don't have to stress about it. Maybe it's time to think about going that route for next time.

Is a wallet size birth certificate acceptable for customs to board the ship? Carnival website doesn't say that it has to be a long copy, but I have always heard that it did. Cruise leaves tomorrow. Don't worry, we haven't booked it yet, so we we are pre planning now! lol

The long form with parents names is required only by the State Department for issuing passports. Why the parents names matter to them is beyond me, but it is what it is. DHS only requires a BC issued by a government entity.

While what you have may be fine, why take a chance? You can get a certified birth certificate here: https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates

Personally speaking, I'd rather have a definite certified copy just in case.

We will have to leave around 3am... I don't think we'd have it in time.

Is a wallet size birth certificate acceptable for customs to board the ship? Carnival website doesn't say that it has to be a long copy, but I have always heard that it did. Cruise leaves tomorrow. Don't worry, we haven't booked it yet, so we we are pre planning now! lol

You've taken 5 cruises with Carnival and are asking now? You're preplanning for a cruise that leaves tomorrow? Huh?

You've taken 5 cruises with Carnival and are asking now? You're preplanning for a cruise that leaves tomorrow? Huh?

I have a passport. I'm good.... I'm asking for my cousin that is interested in going and have NEVER had any intentions to go on a cruise until I just asked two hours ago.

It is kind of hard to turn down a FREE cruise besides just port fees and taxes, which is less than $100 a piece for a 3 night cruise!

Except they leave tomorrow. Otherwise I would agree.

We can go to the county courthouse of the county we were born in here in Ga and obtain one in person during business hours. Not sure if that is possible for the OP's cousin but it should be like that everywhere.

While what you have may be fine, why take a chance? You can get a certified birth certificate here: https://www.vitalchek.com/birth-certificates

Personally speaking, I'd rather have a definite certified copy just in case.

I had to completely LMAO when I read this!! I just recently used Vitalchek to get a copy of my birth certificate. I somehow lost mine, and we had a cruise booked for earlier this month, and our passports were expiring at the end of the year. We decided to renew our passports, even the 6-8 week turnaround (actually took less than 3) was well in advance of our September cruise, but in case there was an unforseen snafu renewing our passports, I wanted my BC, "just in case". I requested a copy of my BC through Vitalchek. Their 45-50 business day "turnaround" was still well in advance of our cruise. We started both the passport renewal and BC request back in April. Passports renewed quickly and without issue. BC copy....not so much. Long story short, my BC arrived about 2 weeks before cruise, took almost 5 flippin months through them. I'd would have driven to Pennsylvania to get the BC copy had I known that...and probably would have saved about 50 bucks....

I had to completely LMAO when I read this!! I just recently used Vitalchek to get a copy of my birth certificate. I somehow lost mine, and we had a cruise booked for earlier this month, and our passports were expiring at the end of the year. We decided to renew our passports, even the 6-8 week turnaround (actually took less than 3) was well in advance of our September cruise, but in case there was an unforseen snafu renewing our passports, I wanted my BC, "just in case". I requested a copy of my BC through Vitalchek. Their 45-50 business day "turnaround" was still well in advance of our cruise. We started both the passport renewal and BC request back in April. Passports renewed quickly and without issue. BC copy....not so much. Long story short, my BC arrived about 2 weeks before cruise, took almost 5 flippin months through them. I'd would have driven to Pennsylvania to get the BC copy had I known that...and probably would have saved about 50 bucks....

Why did it take so long? We ordered ours through there a long time ago and I got it within a few days. Never heard of such a long turn around time.

Why did it take so long? We ordered ours through there a long time ago and I got it within a few days. Never heard of such a long turn around time.

I'm not sure. About 10 years ago I had to request a BC copy when I got another passport, and same thing, was a quick turnaround. Part of their reasoning for delays now was they have cut staff way back, so processing times are longer.

Ok, so part of the delay according to them is my current legal name and name or my BC are not the same. However, 10 years ago, that was the case also, and they turned it around quickly. I also believe when I requested my BC copy I indicated the name differences. Thing that frosted me is they didn't contact me, basically asking what I put on the request, is did I want my BC in my birth name, or did I want my BC changed to my legal name...I said, thats what I requested, just get me the original BC....that contact was over 4 months after I sent in my request. After they contacted me, BC came in 2 days.

I'm not sure. About 10 years ago I had to request a BC copy when I got another passport, and same thing, was a quick turnaround. Part of their reasoning for delays now was they have cut staff way back, so processing times are longer.

Ok, so part of the delay according to them is my current legal name and name or my BC are not the same. However, 10 years ago, that was the case also, and they turned it around quickly. I also believe when I requested my BC copy I indicated the name differences. Thing that frosted me is they didn't contact me, basically asking what I put on the request, is did I want my BC in my birth name, or did I want my BC changed to my legal name...I said, thats what I requested, just get me the original BC....that contact was over 4 months after I sent in my request. After they contacted me, BC came in 2 days.

Wow. I ordered 2 copies just in case I misplaced one. I will always have a Passport and with renewals, you don't need to send it in anymore, but I wanted to make sure I had a couple just in case. I had gotten them 10 years ago as well when I applied for my Passport.

I have a passport. I'm good.... I'm asking for my cousin that is interested in going and have NEVER had any intentions to go on a cruise until I just asked two hours ago.

It is kind of hard to turn down a FREE cruise besides just port fees and taxes, which is less than $100 a piece for a 3 night cruise!

So how do you score such a great deal?