Pacific Aria post cruise.

Iainmac

We did a cruise from Brisbane to Cairns return the first week of September. First time on a P&O Aust. cruise for over four years so we were looking forward to this cruise also the ship being an ex.HAL.

Baggage drop off was quick and easy, but we were kept out of the terminal until after Noon and suggested to us to go for a walk around Portside. Just as well the weather was fine as there is not enough seating outside for the hundreds of passengers gathering there early. After checking in passengers were allocated a boarding number and waited until called.

At check-in we found we had been upgraded from an inside to an oceanview cabin 6066. It was a nice location for me with plenty of room to park my scooter (TravelScoot) nearby. I was also pleased that the door width allowed me to get my scooter into the cabin without having to dismantle and manhandle it.

Next surprise was the beautiful kingsize bed and roomy cabin. A little bit disappointed that there was no frig., but the steward supplied an ice bucket each day. Did not like the bath/shower, but it did have plenty of grab handles to assist people with disabilities.

The ship was in beautiful condition and it was fine sailing all the way.

There is no library, but I believe a box of books were put out in the Atrium on the first day. Our cabin was next to the Atrium which also serves as the Internet café. Only noticed the computers being in use a couple of times.

It was not all that warm, except the time in Cairns, so the aft. pool was only used by a few hardy ones. There was a lot of kids and young families so the main pool was well used by kids. We went through the shopping arcade a few times and the shops always appeared empty. Can't see a need for these upmarket shops and high priced goods.

Did not try to book for Angelo's or Dragon Lady until the second day and informed that they were booked out for the whole cruise. Asked to turn up at 5pm. to see if there were any cancellations. Tried again later in the cruise to be told the same. This also applied to the Waterfront and only available 8pm. onwards. Too late for us. Did try the Waterfront a couple of lunchtimes. The first time about one o'clock and had no bother getting a table for two, but the food although good was a bit cold. The second time we were asked if we minded sharing as all the two seaters were booked. Shared a table for eight, but noticed quite a few two seat tables vacant which begs the question 'were a lot of tables booked and people did not turn up' or were they just trying to cut down on staff or table use.

The lesson here seems to be that as soon as you board go and do all your restaurant booking.

So, we had to do practically all of our eating in the Pantry. This was usually crowded with queues at the popular outlets like the Fat Pig and this multiple outlets for the varies dishes does not suit those with disabilities very well. Also the seating areas are limited and cramped so difficult for wheelchairs and scooters.

We passed the Grill frequently on the way from the Pantry to our cabin. Only once did we see a steward pick up a boxed pizza and all the rest of the time just a bored server with nothing to do. The New Zealand Ice Cream outlet seemed to do a steady trade, but there is a charge for everything.

There is no 'afternoon tea' time and the Pantry closes from three until five and again at nine.

If this ship ever has a major refit then P&O should look at doing away with some of the shops and putting in a café a bit like the International Café on Princess ships.

The entertainment team put on a few shows and worked very hard doing so, but this song and dance stuff is not my style, There was an illusionist/hypnotist who was entertaining and an 'adult only' comedian.

At end of cruise you are asked to vacate your room by 6.30am. and you are given a place, time and number to gather and everyone is off by 8am. A few hours sitting around at the airport for us.

It was a short seven day cruise and value for money, but would have liked to have had more entertainment.

The crew were always pleasant and hard working. They seemed to enjoy working on this ship.

Iain

Did not try to book for Angelo's or Dragon Lady until the second day and informed that they were booked out for the whole cruise. Asked to turn up at 5pm. to see if there were any cancellations.

That's an interesting change. When I was on Aria in July last year, you could only book Angelo's or Dragon Lady on the day. There was no booking them ahead. Each day you had to get to the Monkey Bar when it opened at (I think) 8am, to be sure of a seat.

Hello from Texas! Thank you for your review! First trip to Australia in April and now on the Aria.

Since it is a roundtrip Brisbane Australia cruise for us (Cairns, Airlie Beach, and Willis Island Scenic Cruising) I am assuming no customs and immigration at the end. If having to be off ship by 8:00 what would be a realistic time to book a flight Brisbane to Melbourne? I know two hours airport arrival for domestic flights but wasn't sure of availability of taxis (or Uber?) to airport (which looks close)

We have a family of 4 and family of 3 onboard

Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello from Texas! Thank you for your review! First trip to Australia in April and now on the Aria.

Since it is a roundtrip Brisbane Australia cruise for us (Cairns, Airlie Beach, and Willis Island Scenic Cruising) I am assuming no customs and immigration at the end. If having to be off ship by 8:00 what would be a realistic time to book a flight Brisbane to Melbourne? I know two hours airport arrival for domestic flights but wasn't sure of availability of taxis (or Uber?) to airport (which looks close)

Thank you :)

The first disembarkation will be around 7am and finished by around 10am. If you wish, you can ask for an early timeslot for disembarkation. Getting off the ship and through the terminal would take you maybe 10 minutes. There will be plenty of taxis at Portside (I am assuming you are going on a ship that docks at Portside, not Fishermans Island Grain Terminal). Driving time to the airport would be 15-20 minutes. In Australia we need to be at the airport one hour ahead for a domestic flight. If you had an 8am disembarkation, you could easily be at the airport well before 9am and safely book a 10am flight. I wouldn't book any earlier than that.

By the way, our domestic flights do not have a restriction on passengers carrying liquids on board. The only restrictions are the old ones from years ago - sharp objects etc.

The first disembarkation will be around 7am and finished by around 10am. If you wish, you can ask for an early timeslot for disembarkation. Getting off the ship and through the terminal would take you maybe 10 minutes. There will be plenty of taxis at Portside (I am assuming you are going on a ship that docks at Portside, not Fishermans Island Grain Terminal). Driving time to the airport would be 15-20 minutes. In Australia we need to be at the airport one hour ahead for a domestic flight. If you had an 8am disembarkation, you could easily be at the airport well before 9am and safely book a 10am flight. I wouldn't book any earlier than that.

By the way, our domestic flights do not have a restriction on passengers carrying liquids on board. The only restrictions are the old ones from years ago - sharp objects etc.

Thank you both so much!! And wow on liquids - that will be a change :) A few in our group are airline employees so they have trained us over the years haha. And yay for one hour versus two. Of course not having the TSA Pre-check for the faster line like we have in the US may be worth me remembering as well.

Ship is Pacific Aria - so I just logged into Cruise Compass as I had googled the port previously which looked closer (and I printed for my notebook - this is an 8 week trip), but it looks like we are out at Fisherman Island on one map and then when clicking "View Homeport" it took me to "Portside Wharf". Thanks for pointing that out - will figure it out before then :)

To allow for long lines at check-in, and contingency for whatever delays may happen (including personal ones), I prefer to aim for 11 a.m. or later, though agree that a 10 a.m. flight is doable.

Thank you! The unforeseen delays always scare me.

139180853_ScreenShot2017-09-21at11_32_00AM.png.7ca8359beb3da75ad33994a30b98d7f1.png

345364046_ScreenShot2017-09-21at11_31_38AM.png.e811d6337cd56456d767033c6f6e8e85.png

Also no aerosols, batteries in luggage, plus any matches must be carried on you. Each airline lists what is prohibited on their flights.

Thank you both so much!! And wow on liquids - that will be a change :) A few in our group are airline employees so they have trained us over the years haha. And yay for one hour versus two. Of course not having the TSA Pre-check for the faster line like we have in the US may be worth me remembering as well.

Ship is Pacific Aria - so I just logged into Cruise Compass as I had googled the port previously which looked closer (and I printed for my notebook - this is an 8 week trip), but it looks like we are out at Fisherman Island on one map and then when clicking "View Homeport" it took me to "Portside Wharf". Thanks for pointing that out - will figure it out before then :) Thank you! The unforeseen delays always scare me.

You can check where your cruise will dock by checking the on-line schedule with Brisbane Ports. They have all the ships listed. The Pacific Aria usually docks at Portside, but if another P&O or Princess ship is booked there, the Aria could be at the Grain Terminal at Fishermans Island. If so, I would allow an extra 10 minutes' driving time.

Found it online- Portside Hamilton :) just crazy seeing both listed when logging into my cruise Compass account

That makes sense. It would have been very unusual for Aria to go anywhere except Portside.

The horrible old Grain Terminal is where they put all the big ships that can't fit up the river, like the Queen Mary.

They intend to build another Cruise Terminal for the big ships across the river from the Grain Terminal.

That makes sense. It would have been very unusual for Aria to go anywhere except Portside.

The horrible old Grain Terminal is where they put all the big ships that can't fit up the river, like the Queen Mary.

They intend to build another Cruise Terminal for the big ships across the river from the Grain Terminal.

Sometimes a smaller ship has to go to the Grain Terminal if Portside has another ship booked. In my first response to MandyGirl I referred to the fact that the Aria would most likely be docked at Portside, however it was best for her to check.