Foliage timing on New England/Canada Cruise?

could be way too late or could be just fine. weather has a lot to do with it( lots of heavy rain and wind will cause th leaves to drop much faster)

I used to live in the Northeast and there were years where they turned at Labor Day and were gone before Columbus Day and years where they were still going strong close to thanksgiving.

I would say, with Maria wreaking havoc this year, the leaves will be gone sooner rather than later.

We have lived in the Northeast all of our lives and gave up (decades ago) trying to predict the fall foliage season. There are too many factors (rain, sun, temperature, wind) to accurately hit the nail on the head. But there are some online fall foliage maps which can give you a best guess.

A few years ago we took, what was supposed to be a fall foliage cruise, on a HAL ship. There was a group of over 200 Japanese on our vessel and those folks had spent the big bucks coming nearly half way round the world to see the colors. What we all saw was green....lots and lots of green...because the leaves changed very late (several weeks). Many on the ship felt really bad for those Japanese. I spoke to one of their group who told me they were pretty philosophical about it all....and would likely try again in the future.

I suggested she consider coming to the US and Canada for a multi-week vacation, rent a car, and try to follow the foliage season.

Hank

Hank is absolutely right, there is almost no way to predict peak foliage more than a week or two in advance. When I left home a couple of weeks ago (Portland, ME), we have had such a dry summer that the fallen leaves looked like late October in the yard (but no color). I'm not sure this will be a good year for foliage.

This year, in my Massachusetts home, very few trees have started changing right now. Last weekend we were in Maine and it was starting, but still pre-peak. I always say mid-october is prime, but this year will likely be a bit later.

This item was in the Nova Scotia news today. We need some cold weather and soon! Usually the second week of October is a good bet here. Things do look slow right now. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/tree-leaves-fall-autumn-colours-weather-1.4300548

Hlitner is so right. Come on up and drive around. Take in the Celtic Colours festival: http://celtic-colours.com/

That's is The million dollar question.

Mother nature can strip the trees bare overnight with one storm at any time. :evilsmile:

Ain't that the truth. Lived in NH my whole life and never timed the trees. Except for when it's spring and I want to see green.

I would say the majority of the month of October it's nice. Definitely peak weeks are the week of Columbus Day and the week after when it's predictable. It's starts dying off around Halloween. We've been having an Indian summer so that's going to affect the timing a bit.

On Prince Edward Island right now - just a very few trees showing color - yellow, not much red.

If there are several weeks with no hard frost, color should start coming now and brighten until late October. A hard frost now, followed by high winds could have it all over before mid October.

Have you a RELIABLE source of information concerning timing of New England frosts - and winds?

I am in a suburb just north of Botton and we hardly have a hint of changing color yet. We had GTTropical Storm Jowe here, which bllew some leav es off trees but there are plenty of leaves. We had strong sunshine yesterday and today and likely tomorrow. that could have an effect on the change of color, cool nights and warm days.

• 10 months later...