Puerto Rico

CheckedBaggage

I see that Celebrity has taken Puerto Rico off the itinerary. At least for now. What happens to the Summit if this port isn't viable?

Can you please tell us where you saw that San Juann is off the itinerary? Just checked the Celebrity Travel Alert website and it does not show this.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

There is no way that Puerto Rico could remain on the itinerary considering all the destruction, and that utilities may not be operable for as long as six months. Creating many cruise itineraries is extremely dynamic at this time, and I would expect the answer to your question of substitutions to be changing all the time. go with the flow.

Following. We are booked Summit and haven't heard anything.

Hope the person who started this thread replies quickly. This type of message can upset quite a few people.

Just checked the Royal website. They posted today at 2:00 pm that their cruise that was supposed to depart SanJuan will now depart on the 23rd and become a 3 day cruise.

Would seem to me that if they are having a ship depart from San Juan this Saturday that the Summit should be departing from there. After all, Summit is doing Canada/New England and will not be in San Juan until October 28.

Fingers crossed that you make your cruise.

I saw an article saying that the port will reopen on the 25th for a Royal ship. Sounds like the port did OK. I'm also hearing that Old San Juan mainly lost trees.

You think? Well, San Juan has had lots of damage, major flooding, no power, little water, etc. You want to dock there? If you enjoy being a voyeur and walking around to see folks in total misery, then OK. You can find on line photos of Old San Juan with street lights laying in the street, rubble, neighborhoods with waist high water, etc. Sounds like a nice place to visit? In your world you might call this extent of damage "OK," but from where I come from it is called a major tragedy. Our heart is with our fellow Americans from San Juan (and the rest of PR) and we pray that they can overcome all their obstacles (like a bankrupt power company) and quickly recover.

Hank

I saw an article saying that the port will reopen on the 25th for a Royal ship. Sounds like the port did OK. I'm also hearing that Old San Juan mainly lost trees.

It will be interesting to see if this really happens. If electricity won't be returned for a while and many hotels damaged I'm not sure how they can handle a cruise ship with many passengers traveling into/out if San Juan. It will be a while before the Summit gets to San Juan. We should get a hint from some of the RCCL ships. I'm also not sure how you resupply a ship in San Juan with all of the damage. I'm ready to go if the Summit sails out of Florida

Edited by bigbeergut

We are on the Summit leaving San Juan on November 11th. We are booked to arrive the day before and stay at a hotel in

San Juan. Really uneasy now, wondering if the hotel will even be operational. And if not, how does that work with the airfare? I saw that one of the Royal Caribbean ships was rerouted to Maine and Nova Scotia. Don't think that would work for us....we go South from Chicago to get out of the cold!!

Celebrity, on their website has posted original and altered itineraries for Caribbean cruises through the end of October. The trend is to avoid the islands affected most by the horrific hurricanes and substituting ones able to handle the ships currently. There is an article on cruise critic listing the islands most affected. Prayers out to all those suffering loss and terrible hardships caused by these merciless storms. I think that the changes will go out further than October, but it will take a bit of time for Celebrity, and indeed all cruise lines to make alternate plans.

"Royal Caribbean has announced that they anticipate that the cruise port in San Juan will reopen on September 27. Since the port will not reopen by this Saturday, Adventure of the Seas will sail a shortened three night cruise starting on September 27 with port stops in Antigua and St. Kitts. The ship was originally scheduled to sail a seven night cruise out of San Juan on September 23 with port stops in Curacao, Aruba, St, Kitts, and Antigua.

Passengers who are booked on this sailing and still choose to sail will receive a refund of 60% of their cruise fare in the form of refundable onboard credit. (Whatever is not used on board will be refunded) They will also receive a 50% future cruise credit for any cruise booked within the next year. For those who are unable to travel on this shortened cruise, Royal Caribbean is providing a 100% future cruise credit for any cruise booked within the next year. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to the original form of payment."

RCCL is planning a 3 day cruise on monday out of San Juan, thats all all and good, but it may leave empty. How do they possibly expect over 2000 people to travel to SJ and then make their way to the port?Totally unreasonable as there is no electricity on the island.

How do you go to a restaurant and eat.......the food is not going to be reliable as they might not have electric to keep it cold.

Are they that money hungry?

How about the people disembarking? They need to get home.......right?

Carnival Fascination and RCL Adventure of the Seas are both home ported out of San Juan on a series of 7 day cruises. Watch what they do with these ships over the next few weeks. This will give you an idea what to expect for Summit.

In order to recover, PR needs an operating airport and a marine port. These are the same facilities needed for Carnival and RCL to operate cruises. I am wondering if there will be a shortage of berthing space, given the huge volumes of cargo that will be needed for rebuilding.

We are booked on the Summit Nov 11 & 18 cruises. Barring another hurricane (or a failed Azipod), I am very confident these cruises will happen. I do expect to see some itinerary modifications to the port stops.

The SJU airport just reopened this morning. Looking at a flight tracker web site, I see American and Jet Blue flights in the air, bound for SJU. That's a start.

Edited by Mercruiser

How about the people disembarking? They need to get home.......right?

They will be home. The only pax on the arriving cruise will be Puerto Rico residents The Adventure OTS will disembark all other pax (unless for some reason they want to go to PR) when it arrives in FLL before returning to SJ.

Many of you are talking about your ship stopping in the port for sightseeing. That probably won't happen for awhile. Some of us are talking about our ship such as the Summit DEPARTING from the port at San Juan. I am booked on the Summit Nov 4 to leave from the port. Hopefully that will happen but I do worry about hotels, restaurants etc. in the next few months. We are booked at the Comfort Inn in Condado for two nights before.

I think the port of San Juan can probably be ready for cruise ships to depart from rather quickly. It's the rest of San Juan (i.e., taxi cabs, hotels, restaurants, etc.) where I think there will be major delays and problems. So, yes, while your flight may be able to arrive into SJU and your ship may be able to depart from San Juan, the problem will be, I believe, ground transportation from the airport to the pier and, if you plan to arrive a day or two prior to your cruise departure, hotels/restaurants will probably be an issue too.

Another thing that I wonder about is: Even if Summit is able to arrive into San Juan on October 28 and then do weekly departures from San Juan, how will the ship get all the provisions it will need for a cruise (i.e., food, alcohol, water, paper goods, etc. etc. etc) while they are in San Juan??

Another thing that I wonder about is: Even if Summit is able to arrive into San Juan on October 28 and then do weekly departures from San Juan, how will the ship get all the provisions it will need for a cruise (i.e., food, alcohol, water, paper goods, etc. etc. etc) while they are in San Juan??

Most provisions arrive from the mainland in shipping containers on ocean barges operated by companies like Crowley, American President Lines, and ToteMaritime. Here is an example: http://www.crowley.com/Where-We-Work/Puerto-Rico

Crowley's web site says their San Juan terminal will reopen on 9/23. It is critical that PR get this port open because everything that is imported arrives at this port or by air.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

There is no way that Puerto Rico could remain on the itinerary considering all the destruction, and that utilities may not be operable for as long as six months. Creating many cruise itineraries is extremely dynamic at this time, and I would expect the answer to your question of substitutions to be changing all the time. go with the flow.

Parts of Puerto Rico may be without power for months but San Juan will have power long before six months.

TV just showed lines at the airport are huge..people are trying to get out on limited flights.. Many homes not habitable, no running water, no power or cooking fuel...etc.

Airport apparently operating on generators..Would not fly there right now for a cruise...They will come back strong but not for awhile.

I must admit I was very saddened by so many posts yesterday of people "worried" and felling "inconvenienced" by possible changes in their itineraries due to Hurricanes Irma and Maria. For Gods sake these poor people have lived through the terror of not one but TWO hurricanes back to back. They have lost their homes personal belongings businesses places of employment have relatives that have either perished or cannot be found are living without water power communication and many are left with the clothes on their backs and you are worried about your inconvenience of itinerary changes while cruising on a luxury ship???!!!!😡😡 We also have two cruises booked with stops in many of these beautiful islands but like others here are worried about them have already sent donations to them and can't wait until we can visit to help build their economy. Have a ❤️ And stop being so selfish.

I must admit I was very saddened by so many posts yesterday of people "worried" and felling "inconvenienced" by possible changes in their itineraries due to Hurricanes Irma and Maria. For Gods sake these poor people have lived through the terror of not one but TWO hurricanes back to back. They have lost their homes personal belongings businesses places of employment have relatives that have either perished or cannot be found are living without water power communication and many are left with the clothes on their backs and you are worried about your inconvenience of itinerary changes while cruising on a luxury ship???!!!!😡😡 We also have two cruises booked with stops in many of these beautiful islands but like others here are worried about them have already sent donations to them and can't wait until we can visit to help build their economy. Have a ❤️ And stop being so selfish.

Chuly, if you are offended by people discussing cruises on a cruise forum, it would probably be best if you just stayed away from Cruise Critic until you get over it. I appreciate that you are expressing your free speech rights, but so are everyone else.