Recommended Shore Excursion in Salalah?

dcinmb

Our ship is docking in Salalah in mid-November and we're trying to figure out which shore excursion to take. I understand that a lot of people recommend staying on the ship, but we'd prefer to get off as our itinerary already includes quite a few sea days.

Some of our options:

• The Lost City of Ubar
    • Rub-Al Khali (the Empty Quarter)
    • Ubar

[*]Archaeological Exploration

• Al Balid
    • Sumhuran
    • Taqa
    • Al Husn Souq

[*]Frankincense Trail

• Job's Tomb
    • Al Husn Souq
    • Mughsail Beach

There is exactly one review of Ubar on TripAdvisor and it is not good, with the reviewer saying it's a "major skip," but the Empty Quarter looks beautiful. Is it worth visiting if we'll also be visiting Wadi Rum while we're in Jordan?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Diana

We were in Salalah, Oman 8am - 6pm in March 2016 and took a private tour "Salalah East/West Tour" by Al Fawaz Travel and Tourism. There were 12 people, cost was $41 per person.

Here is part of my blog from that day. Hopefully it will help. "This part of Oman was mountainous like Muscat. Saw Taqah fishing village – visited castle, see dried sardines which smelled as 'good' as the other fish markets we have visited, Dhofari houses. Sumharam (Khor Rohri) frankincense trading town ruins and the possible Queen of Sheba home - they know she visited here and suspect she lived here. Beautiful views from the hill the ruins were on overlooking a river valley (wadi) with camels, cows, white flamingos. Gorgeous. Wadi Darbat – stroll Wadi bed, drove though the Qara mountains which looked like the mountains in Muscat, visit Tomb of Job which was very long and housed in a building. They have no proof it is Job's tomb, interesting stop though. Walked down to Mughsail beach with blow holes - very erratic with just spray at times and heavy water at others. Took a scenic drive along cliffs and drove into a valley with a stop for a walk to Frankincense trees, walk into valley to smell and see frankincense leaking from a tree. Scrubby trees, very spread apart. We also stopped at a market to do some shopping. It was a fun day." I definitely would not stay on the ship.

We didn't go to the Empty Quarter, but did visit Wadi Rum on this same trip. Excerpt from that day's blog "gorgeous with lots of huge sandstone rock outcrops and flat desert between them."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you, Wayfairers! Sounds like you covered a lot of ground. I usually favor private small group tours over ship excursions but we have a lot of shipboard credits (and we're doing private tours in most of the other ports) so I was hoping to take a ship tour in Salalah. Unfortunately, none of the ship's offerings sound that compelling so we may have to go private after all. Most of the private tour operators listed on TripAdvisor get mixed reviews, so thank you for recommending Al Fawaz Travel & Tourism.

I'd love to read your blog as it looks like we may be visiting many of the same ports.

Thanks again!

Diana

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you, Wayfairers! Sounds like you covered a lot of ground. I usually favor private small group tours over ship excursions but we have a lot of shipboard credits (and we're doing private tours in most of the other ports) so I was hoping to take a ship tour in Salalah. Unfortunately, none of the ship's offerings sound that compelling so we may have to go private after all. Most of the private tour operators listed on TripAdvisor get mixed reviews, so thank you for recommending Al Fawaz Travel & Tourism.

I'd love to read your blog as it looks like we may be visiting many of the same ports.

Thanks again!

Diana

Oman is just beginning to get into tourism. We did Salalah 18 months ago and was not particularly impressed. The private tour company we used gave us a part time guide --who is an IT professional. Our desire to eat local food -- was a drop off at the mall. Your idea to use the cruise line, is probably wise as you are more likely to get some of the few professional guides.

Perfect port to do the laundry (on board) .

As nice as Muscat is, for a CRUISE SHIP tourist, Salalah is disappointing.

There you really need time, a car, and know where to go. Lazy paid who will try to rip you off, ramshackle, quite dirty and definitely disorganised.

If you are visiting Muscat port, do all you Oman exploring there

I’m amazed you guys had bad experiences in Salalah. We had no issues with Al Fawaz Travel and Tourism and had a wonderful day.

We travel to experience other cultures, countries, etc and enjoyed the differences between Oman and what we are used to. I would never recommend someone stay on board at such an unusual stop. But, we are all different and enjoy different things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really enjoy Muscat, Oman. Found it fascinating.

I am big on discovery so I think it is good that you take a tour. Any of them will be fine. I would not take a taxi on your own. The drivers are aggressive when it comes to how much they charge.

I have to be honest that after our first visit the next time we stayed on the ship and made it a sea day.

That was not the case with Muscat as we found it fascinating and couldn't see everything we wanted to see the first time around.

Keith

• 3 months later...