concerned about parking in new york for a Horizon cruise in June

roxie60

My brother and I are planning to take a Carnival Horizon cruise on July 21. We are driving to New York Manhattan terminal from PA. We might not get there until 2:00. It leaves at 4:00.

Will there be a parking space then?

What do we do upon disembarking the boat?

I just sounds like such a hassle.

There very likely will be parking still available. If it is anything like the parking we had on the Gem at disembarkation you went to your car, loaded it up, drove down the ramp to the stop lights, took a left and headed up Henry Hudson Parkway. Well, that's how we got home to Vermont. But it's still just a matter of getting into your car and hitting the road. Far less hassle than parking some place else and then finding transportation to the terminal.

Getting a parking space will not be a problem, but cutting it that close could be. You have almost a year to figure out how to get there earlier.

As for debarkation, it couldn't be easier. After you get off the ship and go thru customs, you get on the huge elevator that takes you up to roof (parking) level. Load up your car and go. Easy peasy! If you don't do self assist debarkation, you can get a porter to take your bags right to your car for you.

Some will say that you can get cheaper parking nearby, but that will mean multiple handling of luggage and possibly shuttle rides. We pay the $40 per day parking fee for convenience. :cool:

My brother and I are planning to take a Carnival Horizon cruise on July 21. We are driving to New York Manhattan terminal from PA. We might not get there until 2:00. It leaves at 4:00.

Will there be a parking space then?

What do we do upon disembarking the boat?

I just sounds like such a hassle.

The 2 sentences in red above is more of a problem than finding parking. On embarkation/debarkation day, waits for the tolls at Hudson crossings for the GWB or the Lincoln Tunnel and traffic on 12th Ave. can take 30 minutes to move 1/2 a mile.

Also arriving that late you might find yourself having to park at the overflow lot, which may not be immediate above your check-in terminal. (Personal opinion: this also increase your chance of misdirected luggage as all the cruise lines use the same overflow lot and the available porters just pile their carts regardless of how many different ship's worth of passengers park there.) This might have you walking 5-10 minutes within the port area to reach your pier #. The price for the overflow lot is the same as each ship's rooftop lot, but you lose the convenience of just taking a single elevator or escalator to the processing area.

The parking lot usually opens at 9 am for incoming passengers. Depending on when your check-in appointment is, you may want to plan to arrive early, leave your carry-ons in the car, handing off checked luggage to the porters, then taking a hands free walk over to the Intrepid Museum for a couple of hours. Your checked luggage can be handed off to the porters anytime before 2 pm regardless of when your check-in appointments is.

Some people will even drive to a NJ hotel with port shuttle service the night before the cruise, leaving their car there for the duration of the cruise (some packages are less expensive than parking at the cruise terminal). Bu this makes you dependent on the hotel shuttle to get back to your car. Others prefer to park at the Weehawken Ferry Terminal to save on traffic time and parking fees. Check out NY Waterways for more info on prices. The ferry option does need you to walk just less than 1 mile along the pedestrian greenway adjacent to 12th Ave.

Just remember on Embarkation Day you must be aboard 1 hour prior to sail away for the safety briefing (muster). This is not something you wish to attend with your carry-ons in tow.

Getting there at 2:00PM on embarkation day is too late. One traffic accident on the interstate or another problem and you will miss the ship. Either leave from Pennsylvania earlier on embarkation day or plan on spending one night near the port and park your vehicle at the pier earlier in the day when plenty of spaces are available.

You know at the terminal parking is $40 a night. There is a lot a block away that charges $25 a night. I'm sure it fills up quickly. All who responded are correct. 2:00 PM arrival can be done, one mishap can really ruin your day. Maybe leave earlier or consider train or bus.

I would look for a family teen to drive you to the port and pick you up. Put 100 in their pocket and stop stressing about parking.

A 2 pm arrival for a 4 pm sail away is cutting it too close. I would hate to miss the boat because it is so darn hard to get from PA into The City. You might want to move that arrival closer to noon.