Day 1 - boarding and disembarking soon after?

Hi there,

Just wanted to run something by everyone, if you've done this yourself before.

Long story short, we are a group of 8 and are waitlisted for our preferred dining time. We have been told to go to maitre d first thing for the best chance of having our dining time changed onboard.

All 8 travelers have 11am-12pm boarding time, the first boarding time slot. Two of us will arrive at 11am, the rest of the group will be arriving just before midday.

Two of us will board at 11am to try and make the dining arrangements. How easy is it then to disembark to meet the group on the pier?

Will we all be able to them go together to get our embarkation photo as a group, or will the first two of us who have already checked in prior, have a seperate boarding queue to get back on the ship?

Thank you!

Hi there,

Long story short, we are a group of 8 and are waitlisted for our preferred dining time. We have been told to go to maitre d first thing for the best chance of having our dining time changed onboard.

All 8 travelers have 11am-12pm boarding time, the first boarding time slot. Two of us will arrive at 11am, the rest of the group will be arriving just before midday.

Two of us will board at 11am to try and make the dining arrangements. How easy is it then to disembark to meet the group on the pier?

Will we all be able to them go together to get our embarkation photo as a group, or will the first two of us who have already checked in prior, have a seperate boarding queue to get back on the ship?

Thank you!

I'm quite sure you can't disembark once you've gotten on. Others will know for sure, and I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there,

Thank you!

Once you are on you cannot disembark, why don't the two who are there early wait so you can all embark together. Robin:)

Hi there,

Thank you!

Impossible to do.... border security/ customs rule, will not allow passengers to leave the ship once they have embarked ..no ifs..no buts.

The embark photo's are now taken on board after you have your seapass scanned on the ship and these days with the "magic of mobile phones" you can stay in contact with the rest of your group and as to when they will be boarding and simply meet them at the boarding photo area.... easy as.

Edited by gbenjo

Gbenjo

I might be wrong, but the lovely Mrs Gut and I were on the day of the Martin Place incident and I'm pretty sure that even then we were told no could do, so if my memory is right (and it MAY not be) it started just before the siege.

I seem to recall that one couple we met had wanted to board arrange some bookings then get off to have a late lunch with some friends before we sailed.

Gbenjo

I might be wrong, but the lovely Mrs Gut and I were on the day of the Martin Place incident and I'm pretty sure that even then we were told no could do, so if my memory is right (and it MAY not be) it started just before the siege.

I seem to recall that one couple we met had wanted to board arrange some bookings then get off to have a late lunch with some friends before we sailed.

Yep, it started to be enforced "around" that time, but not because of the siege,but most people remember when the siege was so it is a good time reference point when explaining to someone why they cannot leave the ship and how long since this rule been in enforced.

Thanks all for your help and advice.

My partner and I will board first as www are there an hour earlier anyways. Might as well try to get the dining time sorted first thing.

It wasn't a huge deal about getting off again, the reasoning was that we thought it would be nice to have a embarkation photo with the extended family.

If they are doing the photos on the ship, then great. But if they're not, there will be plenty more photos.

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks Jo ..although the Radiance last Monday was a domestic and pax were not allowed off (would have been a ships call) ..and by the way... the paella was still a touch dry. :D:D

he he ... miss one day of work and everything changes LOL

Gbenjo

That is correct, that was December 2014 and friends had boarded but were not allowed off to meet us for lunch at the Ship Inn., That was the first time that anyone I knew became aware of the policy being enforced.

Hi there,

Thank you!

I'm not sure about the on and off rules, so not joining that discussion, but if everyone is going to be there by midday, that will give you plenty of time to see the maitre'd, he's usually not available until later anyway :)

When I post information that later turns out to be incorrect, I always come back to apologise/say I was mistaken. It has happened a few times and I am happy to be corrected.

Packetau and Gbenjo thanks for the information on the current situation on not being able to leave once you have boarded, though I don't think I ever needed/wanted to.

When I post information that later turns out to be incorrect, I always come back to apologise/say I was mistaken. It has happened a few times and I am happy to be corrected.

Packetau and Gbenjo thanks for the information on the current situation on not being able to leave once you have boarded, though I don't think I ever needed/wanted to.

On issues such as this I'd take the answer from those two posters to the bank, now I'm not sure they're very good at spotting the real spethshial people's, but they do know what's going on.

So what happens in Sydney if you are on B2B cruises as you are allowed off during the day as long as back before last boarding time and can go on and off at anytime. In other ports there is a separate boarding area for these passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But it is not correct information. On P&O round the world cruises you can disembark once you have checked in. Celebrity cruises allows you to do it when you have a late night departure and it appears that passengers can purchase an afternoon excursion. If the ship arrives in the evening and disembarkation takes place the following morning then you are allowed off the ship the night prior to do as you wish.

So what happens in Sydney if you are on B2B cruises as you are allowed off during the day as long as back before last boarding time and can go on and off at anytime. In other ports there is a separate boarding area for these passengers.

Legally you can. Disembark with the rest of the passengers and remember to take your passport and ticket and line up and check in and go through immigration again when you want to return. Also notify the reception staff you wish to do it this way instead of just collecting the new card at reception.

What you do in the time between departure and check in is entirely up to you. If you are booked in the same cabin then your things will remain on the ship.

But cruise cards are done till the end of second cruise so don't have to recheck in. Have done it overseas but not in Australia (I am an Aussie). Overseas it's like a normal port day for people on B2B but Singapore everyone needs to be off ship at certain time then free to get back on when you want. In USA have to take passports off and go through immigration but not recheck in.

But cruise cards are done till the end of second cruise so don't have to recheck in. Have done it overseas but not in Australia (I am an Aussie). Overseas it's like a normal port day for people on B2B but Singapore everyone needs to be off ship at certain time then free to get back on when you want. In USA have to take passports off and go through immigration but not recheck in.

On Princess cruises I know they change cruise cards. I booked a full 31 night cruise on Golden Princess in 2014 around South America. In port of Santiago because it was part of a sector I had to collect a new cruise card from reception the night prior to arrival.

Other lines may do things differently. P&O World Cruises the card normally lasts the entire cruise.

You may have noted Brisbane41 that the ship in question is Explorer of the Seas so your experience of being allowed off is not relevant in this situation. It would appear RCI has made the rule that has been outlined by those who work at the OPT.

The situation of B2B and overnighting is quite different.

But it is not correct information. On P&O round the world cruises you can disembark once you have checked in. Celebrity cruises allows you to do it when you have a late night departure and it appears that passengers can purchase an afternoon excursion. If the ship arrives in the evening and disembarkation takes place the following morning then you are allowed off the ship the night prior to do as you wish.

The information I gave was not wrong. The original question asked was if they could check in, board the ship and then leave the ship again, a ship that is scheduled to sail that evening at 19:00 hrs,and the answer to that question is no as per Australian Customs and Border control regulations.The only exception is for back to back and in transit guests who rebound the ship but do not go through the check in process again. Admittedly I only work with Royal and Celebrity ships but know this is the rule for all under these circumstances.

That is correct, that was December 2014 and friends had boarded but were not allowed off to meet us for lunch at the Ship Inn., That was the first time that anyone I knew became aware of the policy being enforced.

That's what I thought.

How was the Ship's Inn for lunch?

You may have noted Brisbane41 that the ship in question is Explorer of the Seas so your experience of being allowed off is not relevant in this situation. It would appear RCI has made the rule that has been outlined by those who work at the OPT.

The situation of B2B and overnighting is quite different.

IT is not a cruiseline rule.. it is a Customs rule.