NCL - anyone worn designer ripped jeans

Blondie008

I have a stunning pair of designer embroidered black skinny jeans - but they are fashionably ripped (not faded and worn low on the hip as the dress code reads!).

Anyone had any issues on Norwegian wearing designer ripped jeans?

I wear them with high heels and really glam tops?

Love my jeans -

Actually, on my Celebrity cruise I wore jeans now on their evening chic night - so cant see a problem on NCL.

Anyone got first hand experience of this?

my .02:

The fact that they are "designer" jeans doesn't matter. They are ripped, so I wouldn't wear them to dinner on a cruise. One could further argue that one sign of an item looking "worn" is that it is ripped. The fact that they were bought them that way is irrelevant.

What makes clothing "nice" or "dressy" enough isn't who designed or manufactured it or the price paid. It's about the style.

my .02:

The fact that they are "designer" jeans doesn't matter. They are ripped, so I wouldn't wear them to dinner on a cruise. One could further argue that one sign of an item looking "worn" is that it is ripped. The fact that they were bought them that way is irrelevant.

What makes clothing "nice" or "dressy" enough isn't who designed or manufactured it or the price paid. It's about the style.

And you have first hand experience of wearing these??

I emailed NCL - with a photo of said jeans

Absolutely fine for all restaurants.

As I said - the jeans are for sure very dressy and its not about the label - they are beautifully embroidered and embellished - black in colour and at home here could be worn in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant without a doubt!

That aside, its Norwegian - not Cunard.

Anyway, have my answer from the horse's mouth

Good 2 go :D

Edited by Blondie008

Why did you ask the question if you don't want to hear the answers?

They're are still jeans and I would say no.

READ the question!

I asked if SOMEONE HAD WORN RIPPED JEANS ON NORWEGIAN CRUISES!

No one who replied, as yet, actually has

And as I have said - NCL have said YES!!! Absolutely fine!

I am actually packing today -I sail in 2 days time, so hence why I was keen to find out if anyone had actually had experience of this

Sorted - answer is most def YES!

FYI Jeans of this kind were worn on our Alaskan Celebrity cruise -

I wore my jeans on Evening Chic night. (not these ones but skinny jeans never the less) -

Sorry to have inconvenienced anyone by asking a civil question.

Blondie008, it's been quite a few years since I have sailed on NCL. In the MDR for dinner (the more casual of the two dining rooms) I saw guys in athletic shorts being served. Your jeans sound fabulous and you will be fine wearing them on the cruise. I grew up in Texas where there are work jeans and your dress jeans. Yours are definitely dress jeans in my book. :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Lisa

Blondie008, it's been quite a few years since I have sailed on NCL. In the MDR for dinner (the more casual of the two dining rooms) I saw guys in athletic shorts being served. Your jeans sound fabulous and you will be fine wearing them on the cruise. I grew up in Texas where there are work jeans and your dress jeans. Yours are definitely dress jeans in my book. :)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa!! :)

I would LOVE to visit Texas!! One of these days we are going to travel around there and then maybe end it with a cruise -

Funny cause when I visit my daughter (she lives overseas) people always ask me "are you from Texas?"

My daughter tells me its the big hair and the jeans hah!

Thanks so much -

yes, for sure they are very dressy - I am taking a few pairs of jeans, (actually I think these are dressier than the non ripped ones!), heels and embellished tops - leaving the formals at home now - had enough of them - and no more lugging a kilt around for my husband - Keep that for gala dinners, Ne'erday, and weddings from now on.

I was a bit concerned as NCL's wording on jeans is debatable - but - thankfully they responded very quickly to my email and yup - all good to go.

Thank you :D

And you have first hand experience of wearing these??

I emailed NCL - with a photo of said jeans

Absolutely fine for all restaurants.

As I said - the jeans are for sure very dressy and its not about the label - they are beautifully embroidered and embellished - black in colour and at home here could be worn in a 2 Michelin starred restaurant without a doubt!

That aside, its Norwegian - not Cunard.

Anyway, have my answer from the horse's mouth

Good 2 go :D

LOL, did you really think they would tell you no, and risk pissing you off? Cruise lines make little effort to enforce suggested dress. Curious though.... why did you initially describe them as "designer" jeans when you now agree that the label isn't what determines how dressy something is? By the way, there's a difference between "dressy" and "fashionable." I'd put fancy ripped jeans in the fashionable category, not the dressy category. But wear what you like, as it sounds like your mind was already made up and you just wanted confirmation for a decision you already made.;)

LOL, did you really think they would tell you no, and risk pissing you off? Cruise lines make little effort to enforce suggested dress. Curious though.... why did you initially describe them as "designer" jeans when you now agree that the label isn't what determines how dressy something is? By the way, there's a difference between "dressy" and "fashionable." I'd put fancy ripped jeans in the fashionable category, not the dressy category. But wear what you like, as it sounds like your mind was already made up and you just wanted confirmation for a decision you already made.;)

OOOOh haud yer wheesht! Nice welcome to the Fashion forum - how appallingly rude!

Edited by Blondie008

Actually, I have seen Holland America and Royal Caribbean enforce their dress codes. NCL's dress code is very casual in comparison. From what I am reading, the OP emailed NCL and posted here at the same time hoping to get a quick answer since she is leaving in a couple of days. If it were me, I would have done both too in hopes of getting an answer quickly.

OP, most of us on the fashion board are helpful and respond to questions based on our experiences with specified cruise lines. If these ladies (and a few gents) were not nice and helpful, I would not have participated on this board for the past 5+ years.

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

Thanks Lisa -

Perhaps I will join you all in future - I sincerely was concerned - I have cruised Norwegian many times, in fact came off a Euro/Transatlantic Celebrity last fall to go straight on to a Norwegian Bahamas party cruise, so had to pack for both. Celebrity's "Evening Chic" is an odd dress code - its neither one or the other, and open to all sorts of interpretation. NCL UK website is actually quite difficult to get into the dress code definitions. Took me ages clicking around it to try and establish exactly what the rules on jeans were. For sure we will eat Specialty restaurants more often than not , I enjoy dressing nicely, and I wouldn't like to get into a situation at the restaurants - love the jeans, but if they were not permitted I wouldn't take them.

All packed - Edinburgh tomorrow - overnight and then quick jump over to Amsterdam - Barcelona - Then two weeks of laughter and good times.

Hope to come back and enjoy more fashion talk again -

I will report back on the ripped jeans saga :D

For sure we will eat Specialty restaurants more often than not , I enjoy dressing nicely, and I wouldn't like to get into a situation at the restaurants - love the jeans, but if they were not permitted I wouldn't take them.

Again, regardless of what Nowegian suggests or asks guests regarding attire, there is very little chance they will actually tell you, "No, I'm sorry you can't wear that."

I do wonder if some people on anonymous forums are as ugly on the outside as they are in on the inside, in which case - we have to pity them coming on to CC every day to vent their daily dismay at having to get up each morning, and yet again, look in the mirror.....

If Vicki Gundalson could wear her $200 ripped jeans at a high-end 5 star hotel in Ireland, I don't think wearing a pair of embellished ripped jeans on a commodity cruise line like NCL is horrifying ;) (look up "Real Housewives of Orange County")

OP: go ahead and take them if you like them. The worst that can happen is that you have to take a couple of minutes to run back to the cabin and put on a pair of plain pants.

Haven't sailed NCL for a few years so things may have changed. It used to be that in one MDR jeans were not but were permitted in the other. Not only did I see a young lady turned away in ripped jeans but her friend was also who had on a jean SKIRT.

I highly doubt that the OP would be turned away even if she hadn't contacted NCL directly.

Maybe its my age (60) but I think ripped jeans are not disgusting. Sorry!

NCL will probably let you wear them and I hope you have a great cruise.

It's not your age. I'm older than you and I am OK with them. I don't own them, but I don't mind them out there.

True story time here.

Years ago when I was younger, ripped jeans were in fashion . I brought a real nice pair that were ripped, but in the rips was another piece of fancy material. I thought they were great. I put them on and off I go to Aunt Mary's house. She at the time was about 82 years young. I am visiting with her and she get up and goes to the bed room and come back out with some money in her hand. She looks at me, and then tries to give me the money, so I could buy a pair of jeans with no holes. It took a few minutes for me to explain to her that I brought them this way. She thought that I was patching my jeans up to wear. It was so cute. I loved her dearly. She was born in 1901, She lived to 96.

You could wear non-designer ripped jeans and I doubt anyone would know the difference. If you're young and hip, wear the jeans. If you're over 40, a dress might be more appropriate.

Why would a dress be the "appropriate" choice for someone over 40??? A pretty strange comment to me. I did not realize I should only be wearing dresses for dinner. What about all those old women who bring out the black "flowy" pants and the sparkle tops for dinner?? I seem to see quite a lot of posts around here with women packing pants for dinner.

You could wear non-designer ripped jeans and I doubt anyone would know the difference. If you're young and hip, wear the jeans. If you're over 40, a dress might be more appropriate.

I wasn't going to reply on this thread but your post just made me do it:eek:

You really think if a gal is over 40 a dress is more appropriate?:confused:

Some women do not like/feel comfortable wearing dresses......there

are many types of slacks in the marketplace for all ages....not sure why

you are sending such a "broad statement" for women over 40.....

And this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.....I am just very

curious why you think we women over 40 should be in a dress? In my

opinion, one has nothing to do with the other.

Edited by Lois R

The key word in Fyree's comment is "MIGHT" be more appropriate.

I happen to think jeans are casual wear and not for evening dining. Just my opinion and I am now 70. I wouldn't spend money on jeans that have holes in them. And I really don't care if they are designer jeans or not. Jeans are jeans.

The OP is going to wear what she wants which is her choice.