Termini Station access

john2003

There is a side entrance. The problem is there are lots of stairs up to the track level. With luggage I would recommend entering the main entrance on the same level as the track.

It has been a few years since I went in/out using the Via Giolitti entrance for the Lazio trains but I don't recall any flights of stairs. I would not let this stop you because if there are any steps, it would only be a few.

For a regional train, especially one as heavily used as this line, your best chance of getting a seat is at the starting point, Termini. While I rarely recommend taking the train all the way to Termini when coming from Civitavecchia, when heading out of Rome, especially with luggage, it is often worth the effort to start from Termini.

It's easier to get the train in Trastevere or Basica stations.
Basica? The Rome stations on this line are Tuscolana (out of the way for most tourists), Ostiense, Trastevere, Quattro Venti, San Pietro, and Aurelia.

It has been a few years since I went in/out using the Via Giolitti entrance for the Lazio trains but I don't recall any flights of stairs. I would not let this stop you because if there are any steps, it would only be a few.

For a regional train, especially one as heavily used as this line, your best chance of getting a seat is at the starting point, Termini. While I rarely recommend taking the train all the way to Termini when coming from Civitavecchia, when heading out of Rome, especially with luggage, it is often worth the effort to start from Termini.

Basica? The Rome stations on this line are Tuscolana (out of the way for most tourists), Ostiense, Trastevere, Quattro Venti, San Pietro, and Aurelia.

Thanks, very helpful for us. For our day trip in Rome we are thinking of visiting Trastevere so being able to take the train from Civitavecchia without a connection is great news. I will be checking out the Civitavecchia end as I think I read the station to port entrance route has changed (longer walk) than on a previous visit a few years back but could be wrong.

Yes, it's now one mile from the port shuttle bus drop off to the train station. If you are in one of the southernmost berths you can walk from the ship to the train station using the old (now pedestrian only) entrance/exit. If you're in any of the other berths you'll need to use the shuttle bus to the Largo della Pace exit and either walk one mile from there or take the local bus for €2.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a Civitavecchia to Barcelona cruise yesterday, hence my delayed response!

The side entrance at Roma Termini is very convenient for the Civitavecchia train, and you do not have to worry about stairs - unless I am suffering from memory loss, and I just asked my husband if he remembered stairs after we got out of the lift, and he also said no - only at the Civitavecchia end - and I certainly remember those stairs!

We stayed at the Radisson Blu hotel in Via Filippo Turati overnight before the cruise started in Civitavecchia. The side entrance at the Termini Station was very useful, and very close to the hotel. We got the train tickets at the small shop just inside the door (there was also a supermarket inside that entrance), got the lift (not the stairs) up to the platform level, and exited through the gate very close to platform 28, where the Civitavecchia train was leaving from. Five minutes from hotel to train platform.

This is the second time we have cruised from Civitavecchia and have used Termini station both times - much prefer to catch the train at the beginning of the route, as it is always very busy.

Hubby was pleased with how well it worked from hotel to train at Roma Termini, using this side entrance, and said that is definitely the way to go next time. He was not impressed with how far we had to walk at the train station last time we did this, from a different hotel!

Edited by roaming_kiwi58

Thanks for this update. I think u clarified some of the confusion as I gather tgere are staurs or an elevator at Termini. Thanks also for mentioning the stairs at Civitavecchia. I had forgotten these. If I recall one must go under the tracks to exit the station.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

About 1 1/2 years ago, the last time we were in Termini, we noticed that the only access to the tracks was from the track entrance near the Main Entrance. At that time they had security at the track entrance and everyone had to pass through this security labyrinth. In olden times we had sometimes used the side entrance which gave us a much shorter walk to the distant track for the Civitavecchia train. Not sure if this has recently changed....but just giving you a "heads up" that the side entrance many no longer be functional for getting to the tracks.

Hank

We used the side entrance at Roma Termini train station on the 8th September 2017, so less than 3 weeks ago. No problem. Very convenient. It did say you needed a ticket before you entered that way, and there was a man on the gate at train track level, but he wasn't interested in checking tickets of the people going through there. We had bought our tickets at the little shop inside the entrance at street level, next to the lift and the stairs.

I will attempt to answer as I started this thread. The regional trains to Civitavecchia leave from a side platform. It is quite a long walk from the main entrance. If you have no luggage and are fine walking I wouldn't worry about this entrance. I was looking for an entrance that a taxi could drop at that would reduce the walk as one of my party is struggling a bit at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app