Using the USO (Especially Rome)

Wildblue

I'll just throw a tip out there for fellow current and prior servicemen that if you haven't incorporated the USO into your travel considerations, you may want to do so. Often, you might be going somewhere the USO doesn't really have a presence. But more than once, specifically in Germany and Rome, we have had FANTASTIC experiences with the USO putting together tours, assisting with transportation and hotels, etc. We're headed back to Rome at the end of this year, and you can bet that we're definitely going to be using the Rome USO before our cruise sails.

On a similar note, if I end up with a long layover in an airport with a USO, they can be nice to relax, grab a snack, and pass the time, whether I'm on military travel or not. I'm very appreciative of those that volunteer with the USO for us.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

For those flying Space A to Europe and find themselves at the Ramstein Passenger Terminal, there is a wonderful USO there. They are very helpful and great rates on a very nice lodging facility there. We are stationed just about 1.5 hours west of Ramstein. If you need any advice on travel here in Europe, would be glad to help. :)

• 4 months later...
For those flying Space A to Europe and find themselves at the Ramstein Passenger Terminal, there is a wonderful USO there. They are very helpful and great rates on a very nice lodging facility there. We are stationed just about 1.5 hours west of Ramstein. If you need any advice on travel here in Europe, would be glad to help. :)

I Agree. My husband and I took quite a few of the USO tours out of Ramstein. They were terrific all around.

Edited by roomba920

• 3 months later...

We spent four days in Rome after a cruise. The first couple of days we ate poorly and expensively. Then, we visited the USO... got great recommendations and finally were able to eat great Italian cuisine! Also, got tickets for the Papal audience and many great tips! Grateful for the volunteers!

• 1 year later...
I'll just throw a tip out there for fellow current and prior servicemen that if you haven't incorporated the USO into your travel considerations, you may want to do so. Often, you might be going somewhere the USO doesn't really have a presence. But more than once, specifically in Germany and Rome, we have had FANTASTIC experiences with the USO putting together tours, assisting with transportation and hotels, etc. We're headed back to Rome at the end of this year, and you can bet that we're definitely going to be using the Rome USO before our cruise sails.

On a similar note, if I end up with a long layover in an airport with a USO, they can be nice to relax, grab a snack, and pass the time, whether I'm on military travel or not. I'm very appreciative of those that volunteer with the USO for us.

We are cruising out of FLL on Thanksgiving so I am lurking on the boards but we happen to be taking a land-based vacation in March to Rome and this is an AWESOME find. We will definitely check this out when we are at the Vatican.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this suggestion! I have recently discovered the USO at the DFW airport in Dallas, TX. I had never before noticed that a dependent ID would be accepted without the sponsor. Just the few minutes of quiet time in a hectic airport is enough to re-charge my energy for travel. I am starting to plan some international trips and will be sure to use your suggestion and find the USO locations as we journey on.

I'll just throw a tip out there for fellow current and prior servicemen that if you haven't incorporated the USO into your travel considerations, you may want to do so.

The USO has been a life-saver for me on many a trip throughout the years! But one word of warning that I learned returning from a cruise recently - the USO can, and will, restrict use to active duty only. Coming back from my last cruise, all of my flights were cancelled due to a winter storm. I was re-routed through Chicago, where I missed my connection. High-tailed it to the 24-hour USO to crash for the night, and so did hundreds of others throughout the night. I saw many a dependent and retiree turned away because they simply didn't have room. I was never so happy to be active duty, and have to a chair (and eventually a cot) in my life. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
If I end up with a long layover in an airport with a USO, they can be nice to relax, grab a snack, and pass the time, whether I'm on military travel or not. I'm very appreciative of those that volunteer with the USO for us.

Thanks for this thread. Great information.

When at LAX (Los Angeles), the Bob Hope USO is centrally located next to the old restaurant observation tower. Great staff and services!

This is also a good reminder to get my USO donation in.

The USO has been a life-saver for me on many a trip throughout the years! But one word of warning that I learned returning from a cruise recently - the USO can, and will, restrict use to active duty only. Coming back from my last cruise, all of my flights were cancelled due to a winter storm. I was re-routed through Chicago, where I missed my connection. High-tailed it to the 24-hour USO to crash for the night, and so did hundreds of others throughout the night. I saw many a dependent and retiree turned away because they simply didn't have room. I was never so happy to be active duty, and have to a chair (and eventually a cot) in my life. :)

Ohare's seems to be one of the best I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for making us aware of this. When I was on active duty, the USO was a life saver at times thoughout my temporary duty travel. I really miss the yake soba noodles at the Kadena Air Base USO near Gate 2!

I had completely forgotten of their services and availability on a global scale and, as a retiree, I will make sure to take advantage of their services in Rome, etc., and will make sure to contribute to such a wonderful cause.

Z and TB

• 4 weeks later...

The USO in Frankfurt Airport is located on the arrivals level in Terminal 1/Halle C. The hours are decreased to about 0700-1500 which covers most of the stateside arrivals and departures. It is outside security so not a great option for those just passing through. Couches/chairs/computers/paperback swap shelf.

Military Lounge - SFO. Terminal 1 at the Mezzaine level. near the passage way out to the AirTrain. Allegedly open 24/7. I have stopped there multiple times on my way in and out.

Military Lounge - Miami. Near check-in F. Note - the right answer seems to be "it is too early to get my boarding pass." since most of the desk folks want to see one and say it is limited to those flying. Even if you came in the day before and are now waiting on a ship shuttle. Can't figure this one out as it is partly paid for by cruise lines....

There are others.... Rome USO Website

As well as Honolulu Airport and Inchon Airports in the Pacific....

-Holly

who cruises more than she flys Space-A

• 2 weeks later...

I volunteer at the San Antonio airport USO which is open 0800 to 2200 every day plus several all night times like the weekend. We accept all DOD ID including active, retired and dependent (with or without sponsor). So all are welcome.

I have used the USO at SeaTac and a bit small but very nice. I have not used any of the others as I was either ready to check in and got to the gate or just arrived and had transportation waiting. I will look at the website for to check on my future travels. If you are military, please use the USO as we are there for you.

In the US, if there isn't a USO (smaller airports), look up the YMCA. We have a YMCA Military center at our airport here in OKC. Again, limited hours due to the size, but still not a bad set-up. They also have a separate room with cots for after hours that airport staff can let you into.

• 9 months later...

Like RiverCityCruiser said, be sure to throw in a$5 or $10 for the tip jar. This is completely volunteer and snacks are all donated. Such a wonderful respite if you have a long layover or flight delays. I have also donated soaps and shampoos asthere aresome USOs that have showers for the guys/girls coming back from deployments. So nice to take a nice long shower with smelly good shampoos and soaps. :)

When I retire I plan on volunteering at my local airport (SLC) once a week. Look into it if you live nearby a USO.

Cheers

Margo

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
The USO in Frankfurt Airport is located on the arrivals level in Terminal 1/Halle C. The hours are decreased to about 0700-1500 which covers most of the stateside arrivals and departures. It is outside security so not a great option for those just passing through. Couches/chairs/computers/paperback swap shelf.

Update: Sadly, the Frankfurt USO is now closed: http://www.stripes.com/news/frankfurt-airport-uso-center-is-closing-after-four-decades-1.402683

• 1 month later...

The mission of the USO is to serve active duty and their families. Retirees and military civilians may be able to use some services some time on a space available basis, but please don't have hurt feelings if you are in that category and are turned away.

The mission of the USO is to serve active duty and their families. Retirees and military civilians may be able to use some services some time on a space available basis, but please don't have hurt feelings if you are in that category and are turned away.

I hate to say, but duh! All of us are more than aware. Some, like SFO restrict when full. Others like SEATAC are huge and never seem to be overwhelmed. I appreciated their availability all those many times I was TDY or deployed. I certainly help support them financially now.

-Holly

33+ years. Rarely counting

• 10 months later...