Overnight in Moorea?

sambamama

I am booked on a 22 night South Pacific cruise on the Maasdam this November. The ship is overnighting in Papeete. Can I go to Moorea and overnight at a hotel there and pick up the ship the next day in Moorea? I think I probably can, but need to inform and speak to Maasdam staff. I know there are many much more experienced cruisers on this board who will know this answer. Thanks!

Edited by sambamama
spelling

I am booked on a 22 night South Pacific cruise on the Maasdam this November. The ship is overnighting in Papeete. Can I go to Moorea and overnight at a hotel there and pick up the ship the next day in Moorea? I think I probably can, but need to inform and speak to Maasdam staff. I know there are many much more experienced cruisers on this board who will know this answer. Thanks!

Yes you can do this but make your arrangements with HAL first before you leave and get a letter in writing from them to take with you before you board for your cruise. When you board take the letter with you to the head office and let them know you will be "leaving the ship" for one night. If they collect your passports (which they did with us) the day before you can get them from the front office so the day you leave the ship you will meet with the local officials and he will give you a paper for your passport. Then when the ship clears customs you leave the ship and take the ferry to Moorea. If you can afford it get one of the over the water bungalows. They are expensive, but it something you will remember for the rest of our lives. (we got one for our 40th anniversary - Amazing) Then before the ship leaves Moorea take a taxi to the bay where the ship is anchored and re-board. Remember to return your passports to the office and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I knew people would know the answer. An over the water bungalow is out of my price range as the trip has turned into a 5 week extravaganza with stays in both Hong Kong and Singapore and three nights in Auckland before the cruise. However, a room is 40,000 points at the IHG Moorea, and I have a very good chance of being upgraded to a beach bungalow as an IHG Platinum. And I think I may be able to cancel if there is a weather issue. Thanks so much!

I knew people would know the answer. An over the water bungalow is out of my price range as the trip has turned into a 5 week extravaganza with stays in both Hong Kong and Singapore and three nights in Auckland before the cruise. However, a room is 40,000 points at the IHG Moorea, and I have a very good chance of being upgraded to a beach bungalow as an IHG Platinum. And I think I may be able to cancel if there is a weather issue. Thanks so much!

This is a fabulous cruise, much enjoyed each time we've sailed it. Your "adds ons" (HK!, SIngapore!, Auckland!) will undoubtedly make for an extravaganza! Have a wonderful time!

I am just going to add the heads up that you might not get to Moorea. We didn't and while we ended up with the worst spring in 50 years, it's a tender port so there are always risks. Just to keep in mind "in case".

HAL often offers an excursion just like you want. Although it will be more expensive, may be safer in the event they do not tender in - HAL will get you back to the ship. Have been to Fr Polynesia several times and never had an issue with getting into a port, but the weather can be fickle.

Here is the question. If they don't go to Moorea, where do they go normally? Do they just stay an extra night in Tahiti? If so, I can always take the ferry back to Tahiti. I checked the cancellation policy and i'd lose my points. And although I appreciate the comment about an excursion, I doubt that they offer an overnight at a hotel in Moorea.

Here is the question. If they don't go to Moorea, where do they go normally? Do they just stay an extra night in Tahiti? If so, I can always take the ferry back to Tahiti. I checked the cancellation policy and i'd lose my points. And although I appreciate the comment about an excursion, I doubt that they offer an overnight at a hotel in Moorea.

They may not know they cannot tender until they get there. If they go to another port, it is dependent upon if they can get a berth or not. It could be another day at sea and/or if bad weather is known and if it can be done, there could even be a change in the itinerary.

Tender ports can work out beautifully and also be a total mess. We ended up with a LOT of sea days on our Hawaii, Marquesas & Tahiti cruise.

If they find they cannot tender in until they get there, doubt they would go back to Tahiti. Similar situation happened to me in a different locale and they just leisurely sailed to the next destination.

Check your tours from Tahiti as have seen overnight 'over the water' accommodations on Bora Bora and/or Moorea offered, depending on the schedule of course.

Here is a link to the generic excursion HAL website for Tahiti with several overnights in Moorea listed which may be an option for you. For actual pricing, you will need to be in your reservation on the website.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ShoreExcursions.action

Edited by take us away

Why not take a cruise originating or ending in FP, then you can do an independent pre-or post cruise stay on Moorea, Bora Bora or both.

Look at other cruise lines besides Holland America. If you have your heart set on seeing this region there are many other options. WIndstar, Paul Gauguin, Oceania, Regent and others. Princess still has a couple sailings a year beginning or ending there.

We had a terrific experience on Oceania and arrived four days early to see the islands as we wished. We bought a customized package from Tahiti Legends.

I would never depend on a cruise line to get someplace mid cruise.

I would definitely rethink Maasdam due to the long standing AC issues. FP is very very hot 10 months of the year. No way would I travel on a buyer beware ship.

I have been on the Maasdam several times and never had an air conditioning issue. I love her size and the crew is amazing. Also, this cruise has a number of ports not normally gone to. Your idea about coming in early is a good one other than I am already spending time in Singapore and Auckland before the long cruise, and a couple of nights in Hong Kong on the way back. I am not retired, and I will already be gone about 5 weeks.

The cruise is the end of November, and we will be in Tahiti on December 5. We stay overnight there and go to Moorea the next day. If I stay on points, the stay is free. Maybe I just book it and just not go if the weather forecast looks bad.

Is it cyclone season during your cruise? What is the next day after Moorea? Are you willing to fly to find the ship?

Those are the questions you have to be comfortable with answering. Only you can say if the risk is worth it to you. Everyone assesses risk differently and finds where they are comfortable.

Having been to Tahiti, among other SouthPacific destinations, I know how fast tropical storms form so for me the answer would be no, I wouldn't risk it. But I am also not one to pass up a paid cabin for a hotel room that I would still have to pay taxes and possibly resort fees, not to mention food and beverages for the sake of spending 12-24 hours in a place I would be going to anyway.

Is it cyclone season during your cruise? What is the next day after Moorea? Are you willing to fly to find the ship?

Those are the questions you have to be comfortable with answering. Only you can say if the risk is worth it to you. Everyone assesses risk differently and finds where they are comfortable.

Having been to Tahiti, among other SouthPacific destinations, I know how fast tropical storms form so for me the answer would be no, I wouldn't risk it. But I am also not one to pass up a paid cabin for a hotel room that I would still have to pay taxes and possibly resort fees, not to mention food and beverages for the sake of spending 12-24 hours in a place I would be going to anyway.

I agree with you on this one! We have been to the South Pacific and New Zealand and we always go between Feb-Apr. Good time

Always at least for us good weather. So Eurodam 2019 leaving March 25 South Pacific. Usually we do kayaking adventures

Doing Able Tasman. This time relaxation!

What ever you do sounds like a wonderful

cruise! Enjoy.

Denise:)

What about this? You could get your hotel for a day room, either the day the ship ports in Papeete - which could be a very nice long day because the ship will likely stay in Papeete until 5am - this requires 4 ferry tickets at $18ea. Or take the day-room at your hotel the day the ship anchors in Moorea's bay.

Last year in the spring, for the Pearls of the South Pacific itinerary, they swapped Papeete and Moorea days because of weather issues at the last minute, so the ship went to Moorea first, and the next day docked at Papeete. Totally messed up arrangements.

And on our Tales of the South Pacific last fall, they did a similar thing with Hilo and Kona, swapped the nights from the original itinerary and messed up people's arrangements for a night sky-gazing at the volcano top. That change was announced it in advance but some people didn't get the change info and got really stuck, rental cars to get cross-island, hotels, etc. They worked it out but it made for some high anxiety.

Moorea is so very beautiful! It's an amazing place. I hope you can use this cruise itinerary to meet your goals, otherwise you just might have to go back! m--

Just back from a MAASDAM cruise thru the area (Spring 2017). ANSWER: YES. Firstly, you will tell the Front Desk, fill out a Form in triplicate and collect your Passports etc. You can leave your things in your Stateroom Secondly, decide ahead of time if you want to FLY for 10/minutes to Moorea or take the Ferry. Papeete Pier to Airport is $25/USD and 15/minutes. Thirdly, Where is your Moorea Hotel ...the far West Side, I presume?? Get out a map and get ready to $Pay$ for that Taxi transport also; thru the Hotel perhaps?? Finally, ... what if the MAASDAM can not off-load onto Moorea's teeny Dock account storms etc?? Now you're stuck. Are you prepared for that?? Yes, we have 'jumped ship' on occasion. But we prepare for the worst and hope for the best. LocoLoco1

Thanks for all the responses to my question. I had not considered the weather/tender issue. So I have more to ponder. Still, there is no issue booking my room now as there is no penalty unless I cancel three days before. If it makes any difference, I'd be staying at the IC Moorea.