St Bart's

trouble1964

Since we've been to St. Maarten 3 times, we decided to ferry over to St Bart's and snorkel there this time. Anyone ever been? I hope it won't be very crowded like most places, when all the other excursions show up at the same time.

We are supposed to meet them at the ferry terminal. Anyone know if there is a store close by to get a t-shirt? We'll be cutting it close to time to catch the return ferry when we finish snorkeling, and I don't want to run around looking for one.

We've been to St. Bart's three times, most recently two years ago but also twice 30 years ago before it got as expensive as it is now. If you are looking for t-shirts, you will have them at close hand right across the street. from the docks.

However, and this is strictly our opinion and we don't really care enough to debate anybody who disagrees, snorkeling is almost a waste of a reason to go there. I've been snorkeling for over fifty years, and I found the land-based snorkeling in St. Bart's to be nothing great at all. Better to go and enjoy the island for what it is: a lovely, upscale French island with nice beaches and good, but expensive, restaurants. (Or do the more casual, still-very-French thing: go to a deli, buy bread, cheese, wine, and some snacks and enjoy yourself in the location of your choosing.) Best of both worlds, arrange for a snorkeling sail on a private boat that will provide lunch. The locations accessed by boat will be much better, and the sail will be a big part of the attraction.

In our case, our last visit was mostly nostalgia and curiosity. While still enjoyable, we found the island to be grossly crowded compared to our previous visits. We won't be returning.

I think the Allure is supposed to be in St. Maarten the day we are there. I could be wrong, but I know it's at least one of the bigger ships.

The snorkeling we have booked will take us to a nature preserve, I know. DH is not a snorkeler but will hang on the boat and just enjoy the breeze and relax. Unfortunately, we don't have much time to spend there, between the ferry rides. We purchased the ferry tickets thru the ship rather than trying it on our own so we can be sure and make the excursion.

I LOVE St. Maarten---in fact, I named my dog Martin---but I think we've seen everything. DH is not really a swimmer (by choice), but we do the Caribbean because that's what I want to do, and he can lounge on a catamaran or something while I snorkel.

I'm looking forward to seeing St. Bart's, or as much as I can of it, just to be able to see something different. We used to do mostly land tours until I got him on a catamaran in Barbados once....now he wants to find a place to recline and just let me snorkel. Which is good!