Introvert Thinking of Solo Cruising... BUT

ZenZeta

Sorry for the absence... work calls!

So, it sounds like I may be able to find a good deal on a "non-solo" room with a balcony by shopping the last minute deals? I'm OK with that.

Silly question: where do I find information about the solo supplements? I don't mind paying extra for the peace of mind.

ZenZata, if you ever come back to this thread, hit me up. I'm the definition of an introvert solo cruiser, sorry I missed your original post.

• Like 1

Thanks ever so much for replying. Unfortunately I'm one of those persons who, although ,not claustrophobic, gets no pleasure out of an inside cabiné One of my little cruising joys is getting

up in the middle of the night and looking at the sea and its waves.. Also like to see the shoreline as we pass by , look at the moon from my cabin on moonlit nights, watch sunsets or sunrises from either the balcony or the porthole. HAL has large portholes (widows really) that we can sit So the inside route is out for me. I actually enjoy being in the stateroom. Another hindrance; i have an inner ear problem that constantly makes noise in my ear . The only way I can keep mildly sane is to constantly surround myself with noise ;the solution I've found is to keep the TV on with sound day and night so that it covers the ringing. :Luckily my husband didn't mind. He could sleep through anything. But it wouldn't be fair to share an outside or balcony stateroom with another person .So I'm still searching.

Almost any destination would do.

cruiseplum.com is awesome for finding single passenger deals. i don't pay attention to the supplement....just the total price per day.

Also, some Royal Caribbean mega ships have one-person balconies. they're called Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony. Weird name, I know.

This is more information than you ask for but does have some information pertaining to your query. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=21

I've traveled solo a lot, mostly on business before I retired, but more recently for pleasure including an extended leisurely road trip on 2-lane roads from Bellingham, WA to Duluth, MN, and a number of extended train trips (LOVE traveling by train!). I'm another introvert -- I don't mind meeting new people, but crowds/noise/chaos just wear me out.

I'm also taking my first cruise ever, leaving in 2.5 weeks for a 14-day trip, roundtrip, Seattle --> Alaska, Holland America Amsterdam. To be perfectly honest, I put this off for YEARS because I balked at paying a single supplement that was often 100% the "double occupancy" cost. Over the years, I began to make peace with the logic behind it. I'm renting a ROOM that has a cost associated with it. As a single occupant, I pay the full cost. If two people occupied the room, the overall cost is still the same, but it's split between two passengers. That's how it makes sense to me -- may not be 100% accurate, but it works.

So I finally decided I'm not getting any younger and clearly the fares aren't getting any lower, so after talking to friends who cruise regularly, I decided on Holland America and this specific cruise because Alaska has been on my "bucket list" forever, and these Holland America ships are smaller (as an introvert, just the thought of a mega-ship floating city nearly triggers a panic attack). I decided to book through a Holland America's Personal Cruise Consultant. She helped me with room selection -- room amenities and location, especially, and working within my budget. She's also been incredibly patient with the dozens of questions I've had.

Traveling solo doesn't mean one has to be consigned to a "solo" small inside cabin (unless that's what you really want). Book whatever room that allows you to feel most comfortable and that fits your budget. Be prepared to pay double the stated "double occupancy" rate -- sometimes you can get deals, so if that's critical, book later, and/or watch for price fluctuations that work in your favor. I was a little nervous about claustrophobia, so to avoid that possibly negatively affecting the entire trip, I booked a larger suite. It's about the same size as a motel room with a nice balcony (it's ALASKA, after all -- I want to see it!). I came in right at budget even with the 100% single supplement, though, so I'm fine. I even found a Youtube video taken by a passenger a year ago of a walkthrough of the exact cabin I've booked.

So, I head south to Seattle on September 11 to board the Amsterdam to begin this new adventure. Can't wait! :-)

• 1 month later...

Cruising solo for the first time later this month. Actually looking forward to doing whatever I want, when I want to do it, without having to coordinate plans with anyone else!

I booked on RC's Serenade of the Seas, and was able to get one of the interior single-occupancy rooms, so I didn't have to pay the supplemental fee. I think I heard some of their newer ships have single-occupancy rooms as well?

I would consider myself more on the introverted side. And socially awkward, too. Dining situations have me the most nervous. I'm bad at making small talk with strangers... or with my own family/friends for that matter. I keep telling myself that if I don't like my tablemates on night 1, I can request to be moved to a different table, or eat at the buffet on the other nights. Or if I really don't feel like talking to anyone, I'll just order room service.

One thing my friend and I have done is book an inside room at the front of Carnival ship at the level of the "secret" decks.

We have gotten rooms that are literally ten to fifteen steps from our front door to the outside deck the wraps around the entire front of the ship. Not only is the view great but at night we often are the only ones there or just one other person or couple. Plenty of personal space.

And did I say the views are great there, even better is when docking or undocking where you can see all that is happening too!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I have done 2 solo cruises. The first was on MSC and I booked thru a "well-gnome" agency and paid for both beds in an oceanview and they upgraded me to a balcony. It was lovely! 2 months ago I booked a sweet deal on an inside with NCL, paying 150% iof the discounted rate. Total for the cabin before the taxes was $269 for a 5 day cruise.

Those solo cabins look like hell. Shop around. On the exact same boat you can often find a traditional inside cabin for less money. And it's bigger. Don't be afraid to bypass the perks and book a guaranty cabin. They are a LOT cheaper and really, how much booze are you going to drink? Two people in a room? No brainer- get the regular room and the booze package. Solo or non-drinker? Get the GTY and roll with it. Much nicer price.

Let me double that up, twice I have sailed on NCL as a solo and I booked the inside cabins for less than solo cabins.

I got more space, big bed and room to swing a cat. On my first trip I got to use the meeting area all the time and on the second trip I was at the meeting to go to the group meals (which are fun by the way).

You don't need to get a solo cabin to go solo.

Has anyone here booked one of the interior facing balconies on the RCI Oasis class ships? I think these are generally listed as interiors, but they actually face either Central Park or the Boardwalk. They are less expensive than ocean-facing balconies. Also, they periodically offer a special for 50% off the second passenger. I have a cruise booked on the Navigator of the Seas in January to the ABC islands, in an interior with a window looking into the promenade. I booked during one of the specials, so I paid 150%. This will be my first cruise with RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone here booked one of the interior facing balconies on the RCI Oasis class ships? I think these are generally listed as interiors, but they actually face either Central Park or the Boardwalk. They are less expensive than ocean-facing balconies. Also, they periodically offer a special for 50% off the second passenger. I have a cruise booked on the Navigator of the Seas in January to the ABC islands, in an interior with a window looking into the promenade. I booked during one of the specials, so I paid 150%. This will be my first cruise with RCI.

I am not going solo, but next year December, I and a friend do have an inside facing room booked on the Symphony of the Seas. That means instead when at sea we see the same ocean we can people watch instead.

I am not going solo, but next year December, I and a friend do have an inside facing room booked on the Symphony of the Seas. That means instead when at sea we see the same ocean we can people watch instead.

That sounds pretty cool to me! Do you have a Central Park view or Boardwalk view?

• 1 month later...

I've done 2 sailings on NCL Getaway in the solo cabins. The first time I went alone, I used these message boards to get a feel for who was on the ship too. I am an introvert too, so meeting people was hard but I met 3 other solos and we kinda hung out the whole time when we planned, like trivia, dinner, parties. it was nice having people ot mingle with WHEN I wanted too. The cabin is actually spacious. Queen size bed, 2 closets, 2 under bed storage things, the sink area has large storage area. As for the solo activities, they are kinda lame and boring and I never went after the first night. I did use their reservations for main dining so I wouldn't be alone when I went to the free places. I did eat alone at Cagneys one night. My second sailing I went with y 2 bffs and we all had solo cabins, we didnt even ever meet any of the other solo cruisers. lol The studio lounge kinda sucks, the bar is only open for a few hours in the afternoon and NO ONE is ever in there except in the mornings cause there is free juice and treats.

Go for what price works for you, but the NCL studios are pretty good size.

• 8 months later...