Best way to stay in contact with my vet and pet-sitter in the US

denny1700

I am going on an international cruise (Greece) for the first time in my life. My cat has cancer, though, and I would like to stay in contact with my cat-sitter and my veterinary clinic in case something should happen.

What is the best way of doing this?

Would a locally purchased SIM card (in Athens) allow me to send and receive text messages and/or place phone calls back to the U.S.? I thought a SIM card would allow me at least text messages anywhere in the world. Does the SIM card have 3G or 4G?

Or should I get the week package of Internet access just to check my email?

I am going on an international cruise (Greece) for the first time in my life. My cat has cancer, though, and I would like to stay in contact with my cat-sitter and my veterinary clinic in case something should happen.

What is the best way of doing this?

Would a locally purchased SIM card (in Athens) allow me to send and receive text messages and/or place phone calls back to the U.S.? I thought a SIM card would allow me at least text messages anywhere in the world. Does the SIM card have 3G or 4G?

Or should I get the week package of Internet access just to check my email?

Do you and your pet sitter use WhatsApp? Very easy to use and you can send and receive messages when connected to internet. You can also talk through WhatsApp without paying for telephone. You just need internet.

On the ship you can buy one of the internet packages and although sometimes the connection might not be the best, you would be able to stay in touch with whoever is important to you.

This is what we usually do, being our pet sitter one person with whom we are always in touch because our dog has a heart condition.

Ivi

I have an unlocked smart phone and typically just buy a cheap pre-paid SIM card when I travel. Works great within a single country. Not so great when I'm moving around a lot. If I did that (move between countries) more often, I'd look into different options. For my usage, prepaid single SIM with mostly data, not for telephone calling, has been cheaper than an international phone on my US SIM card. But it also requires time - some airports have sim cards easily available when you arrive but other times I've had to go out from my hotel.....

(most US companies have some sort of international plan that might work for you - check yours!)

I won't buy internet on a cruise ship.

I have TMobile which includes unlimited data and texting and $.20 a minute calls. You will be off the ship so often that you can be in touch most of the time without using the ships services.

I get something (my firm pays for it) that gives me $10 on land unlimited data and calls and there are only charges for days I use it. Again that's through AT&T. It's really nice to have because if it's seamless. If we have 10 port days between pre and post cruise and days in port, it's just $100 and part of cost of cruise. Since my firm pays for it, even better.

Someone else paying is always best. We pay for our own (one of the few disadvantages to retirement) and switched to TMobile because of the great overseas benefits. No extra costs unless we call home which we rarely do. And 10 minutes for $2.00 is fine if we decide to.

I'm very sorry for your cat's illness. I also have the AT&T plan, International Day Pass. It's important to know there is no charge to sign up and you only get charged for the days you use either your data or talk time. It's basically a $10 charge to be able to use your plan abroad. Don't use it, and there is no charge. Use it and pay for that 24 hour period. Make sure the areas you are traveling to are included in the plan.

We are enrolled in that plan and use Skype or face time via internet to check in when we can. We also check texts with wifi as well as email. And we tell our pet sitters to regularly send photos. A photo is worth a thousand words of comfort when you are worried about your fur baby.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences. I am overwhelmed probably because I have never had a smartphone or cellular plan, just a cheap cellphone. Someone I know suggested T-mobile over the others but I don't think he used it internationally to call back home. I'm wondering if during the daytime I can find an Internet cafe to check in, or if a SIM card bought in Athens would work better once off the ship and on land (on an island, such as Mykonos). Comparing the different plans/companies is confusing to me. I trust that if my cat-sitter cannot take care of my cat, and her health goes down quickly, that he will know that, instead of allowing her to suffer (by not eating, etc.) he will take her to be euthanized (and I am trying to arrange for the vet to get paid for this, although they want to speak to me and get my credit card number over the phone, as I am assuming giving it in an email is not very prudent). Cats' health can go down so quickly, and my cat Ella needs appetite stimulants (prednisolone and hemp oil) plus much prompting to get her to eat enough so that she doesn't in a few or day begin to start wasting away.

T-Mobile is usually $.20 a minute to call back to the states. (And it is she, by the way).

I do understand your concern about your cat but in reality there is nothing you can do when you are away. Perhaps you should write a check for the appropriate amount to the vet to cover expenses and trust your sitter. Be sure they understand your thoughts about what to do and then let them contact you (or not) if they need to. But decide in advance what you would want to know. Would you return home if there was a crisis? If not there is nothing you can do but worry and be upset. Which will not help your cat and will upset your trip. You might want to seriously think this through.

Check your phone carrier for international calling costs. That would be the easiest way. If that's not an option (and it isn't with my super cheap T-Mobile plan), here are a couple of other possibilities. One is to buy an international SIM card that will allow you to call the U.S. from Europe. They're available on Amazon. You would replace your phone's current SIM card while you're traveling, then put your regular card back in place when you're home. You need an unlocked phone for this, so you'll need to check that with your carrier. The carrier can unlock the phone or tell you how to do it in most cases. You might also consider buying a prepaid international calling card. These can be used from mobile phones, hotel phones or phone booths. You can even rent an international phone. I think all options work better in port than on board, but I haven't had experience, so others may want to speak to that.

I understand your concern and that for some of us, knowing what's going on is less anxiety provoking than wondering. Good luck!

Verizon has always had a texting plan that is $0.10 for incoming texts and $0.50 for outgoing. No pictures or downloads, though.

I'm so sorry your kitty is in poor health. We, too, are very attached to out kitties. Our cat sitter has a written directive to allow her to take either of "the boys" to the vet and written permission for the vet to administer care, as needed. The vet has our credit card info on file.

And, as with all pets....and humans, too, I guess... when the situation is ultimately hopeless, one has to weigh the benefit of prolonged treatment against what is most kind and humane. It's a hard and painful decision!! So sorry you have that worry while on such a wonderful trip!

I wrote to the veterinary clinic to authorize my neighbor to make health decisions on my behalf for my cat while I am away. This would include euthanasia. I'm surprised she's last this long only prednisolone and no other chemotherapy (or radiation therapy, either). Her health was very uncertain the first 10 or so weeks after diagnosis. It could go anyway, at any time, especially as her appetite is not very good even with appetite stimulants and frequent prompting throughout the day.

\

I'm sorry for you & your cat! we do love our fur babies!

When we travel, we go to our vet ahead of time (she's only half a mile from my husband's office) and give our credit card/authorize $X for treatment if something happens while we're gone & inaccessible. Actually, last time we didn't even have to give them the credit card # - they said they'd just get it when we got back if needed. Guess that's one bonus of living in a very small rural town;p

Abigail (English Springer Spaniel) spends her "vacation" time at a Pet Resort and Spa, Fuzzie Buddies in Tampa. Air conditioned, large double runs for each guest (some with TV), three large walk-in pools, special runs for "shy" dogs, six-to-eight "walks" a day, 15-minute "tuck-ins" at bedtime, and everything outdoors covered with awnings. Daily they send a text, email or email with a picture. We can log-in and watch our daughter via webcam, but that can be traumatic for mom. They have Abby's vet and emergency hospital on speed dial - no credit card needed. Abby is a home body - she is really attached to mommie. However, she seems to enjoy her stays...but very happy to go home. She is an only child!

I wrote to the veterinary clinic to authorize my neighbor to make health decisions on my behalf for my cat while I am away. This would include euthanasia. I'm surprised she's last this long only prednisolone and no other chemotherapy (or radiation therapy, either). Her health was very uncertain the first 10 or so weeks after diagnosis. It could go anyway, at any time, especially as her appetite is not very good even with appetite stimulants and frequent prompting throughout the day.

\

You should also call your cell provider and make sure you will have service in the places you will be visiting. You might not be able to find service on the ship, even if you are willing to pay for it. A few years ago I paid for a plan that would allow me some minutes while at sea. But I could never get a connection, so it was wasted money. On another occasion my father had emergency surgery while I was out of the country. My cell provider had no service in that country and I had to use a landline to get through to family. Skype or FaceTime might have worked if I had thought about it.

• 2 weeks later...

In USA, we have Comcast.com "triple play" which includes TV, Internet and a phone number which we never give out. We forward our home phone and cell to it and Comcast converts the voice mail to text and leaves us an email plus the voice mail. We then hear or read messages when we log into our Comcast email account.

The phone number rings on our tablet we can answer if there and can talk live. We can also call anyone from the tablet. No extra charges.

In technical terms, Comcast use VoIP, voice over IP, (the internet). Other devices do this too.

You get voice mail and email downloaded and uploaded automatically when you log on with WhatsApp. Almost every crew person uses it. MagicJack is a mother VoIP that has been around for over 10 years. Was great back when long distance was expensive (remember back that far?) but it requires a you plug a MagicJack device into your USB port and that usually requires a PC.

Any VOIP requires that you have internet access, though. On a cruise ship, that can be expensive and not always great for speed. Esp if everyone is trying to stream or use a VOIP service. And can be really dependent on where you are. Even on a European river cruise (where internet is included in your cruise fare) we had connectivity issues for at least a third of the cruise. I wouldn't depend on internet access for emergencies.

But that's just me....(I also live in the boonies in the US with only satellite service available for my home internet - data is extremely expensive and we don't stream at home or use skype.....Which is a pain for my job because I work with people all over the world, requiring meetings at odd hours ;-)

In USA, we have Comcast.com "triple play" which includes TV, Internet and a phone number which we never give out. We forward our home phone and cell to it and Comcast converts the voice mail to text and leaves us an email plus the voice mail. We then hear or read messages when we log into our Comcast email account.

The phone number rings on our tablet we can answer if there and can talk live. We can also call anyone from the tablet. No extra charges.

In technical terms, Comcast use VoIP, voice over IP, (the internet). Other devices do this too.

You get voice mail and email downloaded and uploaded automatically when you log on with WhatsApp. Almost every crew person uses it. MagicJack is a mother VoIP that has been around for over 10 years. Was great back when long distance was expensive (remember back that far?) but it requires a you plug a MagicJack device into your USB port and that usually requires a PC.

That's interesting about Comcast's Triple Play giving you a private phone number you can forward your calls to. I may have to look into that. Thanks for the tip (y)

Any VOIP requires that you have internet access, though. On a cruise ship, that can be expensive and not always great for speed. Esp if everyone is trying to stream or use a VOIP service. (

That's true especially when everyone sends pictures to their grandkids. We've had good experience with the Internet and making calls on Azamara. We get unlimited and pay the difference to upgrade from the minutes allotted based on our loyalty level and cabin type. Last cruise it cost $30 to upgrade, sometimes it's a bit more but it's also a good use for OBC.

You do have to learn to wait a bit as there's a delay for other party to hear your voice before they can respond and a delay before you hear their reply. But you are on vacation, no?

. But you are on vacation, no?

Yep, and for me, that means I'm not sending photos to anyone or posting on social media or doing live blogs. We all vacation differently. I prefer to have data for my mobile phone so I can use a map while touring - I don't want/need internet if I'm on a ship..... [i also do land vacations - mostly in cities - far more often than I cruise, so I acknowledge my data/internet needs are pretty much not ever going to lean towards buying an internet package on a boat ;-)]

>> We have T Mobile in large part because of their international plan. When I need to make a phone call, I use Skype, which I can access through the T Mobile data plan or via Wifi. It's free to another Skype user and pennies per minute (like 3 or 5) to non-Skype users.

Jean,

This sounds good, as the international plan is $25 per month additionally and allows for unlimited texting. Will that work even being out at sea though or on an island?