Scooter or motorized chair?

Mr and Mrs C

Again, trying to help a friend with MS and she's trying to figure what would be easier to use on the cruise ship, the scooter or motorized wheel chair? She will be renting it from special needs at sea. She can walk with a walker but is quite limited to distance, so we will rent her something to be in her room she. She gets there. She was thinking the wheel chair looked more comfortable but her husband was wondering if it would be easier to navigate the crowds with the scooter. Any one have any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The information I was told was that scooters have less of a learning curve than motorized wheelchairs. I'll be honest and say personally I'm not sure. What I can offer is my own experience and that is I predominantly use a walker but if it involves lots of walking I use my own travelscoot scooter. I was lucky in that my Insurance company covered the cost so I bought one instead of renting one. It has been a massive improvement in my quality of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should add that she does have both at home but doesn't want to travel on the airplane with them. I think her chair is quite a bit bigger then the one that special needs at sea has, so not sure if it would operate the same. I'll give them a call today maybe they can offer some insight. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I use a small mobility scooter that is easily broken down (by hubby due to the weight of the drive train). It was easy to get used to it and I would imagine it's a lot easier to handle than an electric chair. I am limited with standing, stairs and walking more than a few yards. I bought mine from Drive (Amazon) for around $1400 and never shop or travel without it.

Cheers, Lynda

Again, trying to help a friend with MS and she's trying to figure what would be easier to use on the cruise ship, the scooter or motorized wheel chair? She will be renting it from special needs at sea. She can walk with a walker but is quite limited to distance, so we will rent her something to be in her room she. She gets there. She was thinking the wheel chair looked more comfortable but her husband was wondering if it would be easier to navigate the crowds with the scooter. Any one have any opinions?

I've brought my travel scooter (Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus) with me on four cruises, and I will bring it again in February 2018 for the 5th time. I have MS and I can walk a little bit, but to get around on the ship, I need the scooter. I'm used to maneuvering the scooter into the cabin. My DH holds the door open, or we use a doorstop, and I drive right into the cabin. My scooter comes apart as well, but we just leave it together. I think DH just removes the armrests to make it even easier for me to drive through the doorway.

I also bring my walker and fold-up cane. I use the walker to take a short walk on our deck, just to keep as much mobility as I can, and get a little exercise. In the cabin, I don't need to use the cane or walker, and I haven't had to get an accessible cabin yet. We get a standard balcony cabin, and that works for us very well.

I find navigating around the crowds on the ship is no problem for me at all. If it's crowded in certain areas, I just wait for the opportune time to move through easily. It's been great for me; no problems on the elevators, no issues in the cabin, etc. I went kicking and screaming when DH suggested I look into purchasing a scooter, but we love to cruise, and if I wanted to be able to enjoy the ships, and get around on my own, I needed to get the scooter. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

If your friend has a scooter at home, she'll have no problem; she's probably aware of how to safely operate the scooter in small areas, around crowds. Hope all of you have a great cruise!!!

I've brought my travel scooter (Pride GoGo Elite Traveller Plus) with me on four cruises, and I will bring it again in February 2018 for the 5th time. I have MS and I can walk a little bit, but to get around on the ship, I need the scooter. I'm used to maneuvering the scooter into the cabin. My DH holds the door open, or we use a doorstop, and I drive right into the cabin. My scooter comes apart as well, but we just leave it together. I think DH just removes the armrests to make it even easier for me to drive through the doorway.

I also bring my walker and fold-up cane. I use the walker to take a short walk on our deck, just to keep as much mobility as I can, and get a little exercise. In the cabin, I don't need to use the cane or walker, and I haven't had to get an accessible cabin yet. We get a standard balcony cabin, and that works for us very well.

I find navigating around the crowds on the ship is no problem for me at all. If it's crowded in certain areas, I just wait for the opportune time to move through easily. It's been great for me; no problems on the elevators, no issues in the cabin, etc. I went kicking and screaming when DH suggested I look into purchasing a scooter, but we love to cruise, and if I wanted to be able to enjoy the ships, and get around on my own, I needed to get the scooter. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

If your friend has a scooter at home, she'll have no problem; she's probably aware of how to safely operate the scooter in small areas, around crowds. Hope all of you have a great cruise!!!

That's great to hear! Do you have the three wheel model? How does it handle on shore excursions? I have an old heavy 4 wheel scooter that was given to me but would like to update to something I could travel with but am concerned about the stability factor.

That's great to hear! Do you have the three wheel model? How does it handle on shore excursions? I have an old heavy 4 wheel scooter that was given to me but would like to update to something I could travel with but am concerned about the stability factor.

Yes, 3-wheel model that comes apart in five pieces. I tried both the 4-wheeled, and the one that I have. I personally like the 3-wheel better. I find it very stable. I just watch when I'm turning, and turn the speed down. I've never felt I was going to topple over.

As far as excursions, honestly, most excursions with the scooter don't work, unless the tender has roll-on capability. It is as you can imagine, very unsteady on a tender. Some of the tenders used are lifeboats, and there is no roll-on capability with those. For me, because we've been cruising for a number of years, so I was able to do excursions prior to my mobility issues, and I wasn't using a scooter. Best advice I can give is that you read some of the other posts here. Many people have done excursions, and they are very helpful and can give you some great suggestions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the excursions...have fun in your travels.

Special needs at Sea told me I couldn't rent a power chair because it's too hard to learn to use of you're not experienced. The price of a scooter seemed very high. I'm going to check around and see if there are other suppliers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

My friend rented one that was waiting in her cabin. It was nearly $300. for the week with insurance. I own my own. I would go to a medical supply store near you and see if you can rent from them. The place I bought mine rents them for $75 per week. She can also try it out in the store and parking lot. Its very easy to get on a plane etc. EVERYTHING is accessible now. I ride mine to the door of the plane. They stow it under the cabin. I'm last off the plane and my scooter is waiting right at the door for me. She may even decide to buy her own when she sees how reasonable they can be.

Not sure what cruise line you are on but some only deal with Special Needs at Sea. Check first.

Yes, 3-wheel model that comes apart in five pieces. I tried both the 4-wheeled, and the one that I have. I personally like the 3-wheel better. I find it very stable. I just watch when I'm turning, and turn the speed down. I've never felt I was going to topple over.

As far as excursions, honestly, most excursions with the scooter don't work, unless the tender has roll-on capability. It is as you can imagine, very unsteady on a tender. Some of the tenders used are lifeboats, and there is no roll-on capability with those. For me, because we've been cruising for a number of years, so I was able to do excursions prior to my mobility issues, and I wasn't using a scooter. Best advice I can give is that you read some of the other posts here. Many people have done excursions, and they are very helpful and can give you some great suggestions. Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the excursions...have fun in your travels.

Thank you that helps a lot!

My friend rented one that was waiting in her cabin. It was nearly $300. for the week with insurance..

We have a scooter reserved for the Norwegian Escape (Sept 30-Oct 7) and it is $185 for the week. Pricing varies depending on your pick up and drop up ports. It was expensive in Europe. This is through SpecialNeedsAtSea.com

We have a scooter reserved for the Norwegian Escape (Sept 30-Oct 7) and it is $185 for the week. Pricing varies depending on your pick up and drop up ports. It was expensive in Europe. This is through SpecialNeedsAtSea.com

Scooter rental costs from both Scootaround (formerly CareVacations) and SpecialNeedsatSea vary based on the following criteria:

• Number of cruise days
  • If delivered to a pre or post cruise hotel adding to the number of total rental days the cost will increase.
  • If having delivered to pre-cruise hotel and the rental company has to return to deliver it to the embarkation cruise port there will be additional charge.
  • If keeping the scooter post cruise and the rental company has to pickup the scooter at the disembarkation cruise port to take it to the hotel there will be an additional charge
  • Port of Embarkation
  • Port of Disembarkation
  • R/T same port is cheaper than if the embarkation port and disembarkation ports are different. Additionally Florida Ports are generally cheaper than non Florida ports due to the competition and higher inventory of scooters by both companies.
  • Weight of end user
  • Height of end user
  • Weight capacity of scooter required (Both companies will select the scooter model appropriate for the individual. Person renting the scooter does not make that decision.)
  • If insurance if being purchased

Special needs at Sea told me I couldn't rent a power chair because it's too hard to learn to use of you're not experienced. The price of a scooter seemed very high. I'm going to check around and see if there are other suppliers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

I checked with Scooteround. Their price was cheaper but didn't include insurance. When insurance was added, they are still about$60 cheaper for my 14 day cruise. They will deliver and pickup at the terminal but don't bring the scooter onboard like Special needs at Sea can. I'm thinking the convenience of not have to meet up with someone and having the scooter delivered direct to the cabin may be worth it. I've got awhile to decide (cruise is Feb 2).

Bill T

I called special needs at sea and for 7 days it was $185 delivered to port of Miami. I can either pick up at terminal b outside or have it delivered to her room. They did not recommend the chair unless the person uses it exclusively at home.

I'm thinking we should have her pick it up outside so she can ride it right in.