Storminess in the Atlantic Basin

Stumblefoot

With hurricane Jose potentially making landfall between New York & Boston late next Tue., Sep 19, I wonder how this will impact the Whisper's New York to Montreal voyage scheduled to depart same day.

Also, with new storm 96L projected to become a tropical storm by next week, I wonder if she may impact the Muse on her voyage from Montreal to Boston in a couple of weeks.

Does SS let passengers change their plans should it become apparent the ships will be impacted by hurricanes, much like an airline lets passengers change their flight plans due to major storms?

Does SS let passengers change their plans should it become apparent the ships will be impacted by hurricanes, much like an airline lets passengers change their flight plans due to major storms?

I think in extraordinary instances, SS might allow changes. But there is a huge difference between airlines and cruise lines. Airplanes have to land at airports and airlines allow such changes when it is likely that certain airports will be closed or severely impacted. They do not (to my knowledge) allow changes because of possible turbulence between points x and y. Ships, on the other hand, have embarkation and disembarkation far more rarely than planes, and captains can change routes to avoid storms or cancel port calls because of weather issues (e.g., seas too rough to use tenders). Any experienced cruiser has had lots of cancelled port calls: The possibility comes with the territory.

I suggest you look at the purchase of trip insurance. In exploring different policies, one would look for a policy that covers such issues as having to cancel due to impacts of extreme weather.

Having said that, I don't even know if there are such policies but I intend to find out.

Oh… how intellesting… here we are .. chilling out (not) in a very warm and humid big apple, preparing for our cruise.

We ARE insured but there is no Plan B .. maybe one needs to be created….…soon

After a major fail by our normally pedantic ta we are on deck 9….. maybe some prophylactics are a good idea...

It does appear that Jose is going to be brushing uncomfortably close to the Whisper as she is scheduled to turn around in New York on Tuesday so I wonder what decision SS will make? Maybe she'll be able to do a quick turnaround and out run him.

Having just disembarked from the Whisper last week in Montreal, I must sympathise with some of my trivia team who are still on board, (having sailed from Southampton), who must disembark in NYC - the would have liked to cruise longer but being away for more than a month at a time impacts heavily on their house insurance premiums. We who live in hurricane areas know that anything can happen but I suspect that they, as Brits, didn't really think about it. (OK, I know I'm a Brit, but I've been long away)

Still, since they were (by far) the smartest part of the trivia team, I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Of course, I hope that everyone due to disembark / embark manages it successfully!

Hi Spins,

Yes, so far so good this summer here in BDA. Hot though, but you're no stranger to that.

However my heart sinks as I look at some of the computer models for possibly soon-to-be storm Lee, it might follow Irma's wake right through the islands - I so hope not, they've got enough problems already.

Have you managed enough cleanup / laundry to be able to go away worry-free(ish)? It must be soon.

PS Tried walking on the beach, too hot to walk elsewhere, but swells are already so high that it wasn't comfortable; also an awful lot of dead fish all along the waterline - very curious - we don't even see that after we've actually been hit by a storm.

And despite red flags, there were still tourists frolicking in the waves ... sigh ...

Good grief! They're forming faster than I can keep up.

TD 14 which just looked like a fish storm has made it to TS Lee, although it still doesn't look like too much to worry about.

BUT Invest 96, which I thought would be Lee, is actually Maria and looks like it's headed right along Irma's path, aiming to go over the Virgin Islands on Wednesday, possibly as another major hurricane. OH NO!!:eek:

PM Sunday, the projected storm track seems to cross the whispers route.

Can anyone comment ( please :-) ) on previous similar situations and what action was taken by the cruise line ?

I have encountered this situation on several occasions. The captain adjust the route and thus takes evasive action. The captain does not want his ship to be in the direct path of such a storm. The seas might be a bit rocky. Items might be secured in cabins, bars, etc. A port might be closed by the authorities or the captain opts to avoid it. But otherwise life goes on......

I have encountered this situation on several occasions. The captain adjust the route and thus takes evasive action. The captain does not want his ship to be in the direct path of such a storm. The seas might be a bit rocky. Items might be secured in cabins, bars, etc. A port might be closed by the authorities or the captain opts to avoid it. But otherwise life goes on......

Unlikely to be any worse than a September storm in the Med, but that's why deck 4/5 mid ships is the place to be.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

She blew up in a hurry. There's talk Jose will meander off-shore the NE USA and will interact with Maria in just over a week. If it happens, it'll be an absolute mess of epic proportions.

I do wonder if in some circles global warming is still considered fake news!

Whisper has just sailed for Halifax , 40 hrs late.

All of of Newfoundland erased and replaced with a couple of "compensatory" Canadian ports.

For me it completely erases a primary objective of the cruise , just have to make the best of it….

Ship is in very good condition and service standards excellent (as usual)...