Salacia...

pepperrn

I've been asked by the DH of Agnes, known to us as "Salacia", to let the Cunard board know that his wife died unexpectedly in the early hours of Thursday, September 7.

He said "She loved sailing on the QM2... and she greatly enjoyed the camaraderie of the message board, especially the spirited debates".

Her Cunard Platinum Pin was placed in her casket by her family.

He went on to say "She was diagnosed with cancer in March 2015, and with great courage and determination underwent chemotherapy, radical surgery and radiation over the balance of that year. Her recovery was very slow, and only last April, with a new oncologist and a better anti-cancer drug, did she start to feel significant improvement".

He also said "She told me long ago that she wanted only three things from death: that it be quick, that she be buried in her family plot in Brooklyn, and that everyone have a good time at her wake, funeral and luncheon. She got all three".

Today, 19th Sept, would have been their 36th Wedding Anniversary.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Agnes in the Commodore Club on board Queen Mary 2 in November 2016 a day after leaving New York. We had corresponded for a few years previously, but it was coincidence that we found we had booked the same Caribbean cruise.

Meeting Agnes was a real, genuine pleasure. She was elegant, gracious, witty, wise, intelligent, great in conversation; listening intently and then responding with exactly the right comment. I had sincerely hoped that our paths would cross again one day soon on board a Cunard ship. It is not to be.

A member of the family described her thus: "She was beautiful. She was smart. She was funny. And she was tough!"

Salacia, Agnes, R.I.P.

This is sad news, I asked a question early August re getting to Brooklyn, I think she was the first to give advice. Will be missed.:(

Seeing Salacia's name on a post always meant a knowledgeable, intelligent, often witty contribution to whatever topic was being discussed. I never met her in person, but feel as though I have lost a friend. Thank you Pepperrn for passing this news along, and may she have reached a calm harbor after her life's voyage.

I've been asked by the DH of Agnes, known to us as "Salacia", to let the Cunard board know that his wife died unexpectedly in the early hours of Thursday, September 7.

He said "She loved sailing on the QM2... and she greatly enjoyed the camaraderie of the message board, especially the spirited debates".

Her Cunard Platinum Pin was placed in her casket by her family.

He went on to say "She was diagnosed with cancer in March 2015, and with great courage and determination underwent chemotherapy, radical surgery and radiation over the balance of that year. Her recovery was very slow, and only last April, with a new oncologist and a better anti-cancer drug, did she start to feel significant improvement".

He also said "She told me long ago that she wanted only three things from death: that it be quick, that she be buried in her family plot in Brooklyn, and that everyone have a good time at her wake, funeral and luncheon. She got all three".

Today, 19th Sept, would have been their 36th Wedding Anniversary.

I had the honour and pleasure of meeting Agnes in the Commodore Club on board Queen Mary 2 in November 2016 a day after leaving New York. We had corresponded for a few years previously, but it was coincidence that we found we had booked the same Caribbean cruise.

Meeting Agnes was a real, genuine pleasure. She was elegant, gracious, witty, wise, intelligent, great in conversation; listening intently and then responding with exactly the right comment. I had sincerely hoped that our paths would cross again one day soon on board a Cunard ship. It is not to be.

A member of the family described her thus: "She was beautiful. She was smart. She was funny. And she was tough!"

Salacia, Agnes, R.I.P.

I'm so saddened to read this. My sincerest sympathies to her family. We did sail together on a few voyages. Though we never officially met, she knew who I was by some of her postings. Her spirited & pithy posts always made for excellent & thoughtful reading. Her great knowledge of Cunard made her an outstanding ambassador to the line. I know she'll be attending many a formal ball or captains dinner with other past loyal Cunarders. A tip of the hat, dear Agnes, you lived it well!