Solo cabins on royal caribbean???

cruisingirll59

RCL does not have any solo cabins. What they do have is a 150-200% single suppliment for most cruises if you want to occupy a cabin by yourself. Occasionally, you can find a cruise where the suppliment is only 125%, but that is very rare.

Where are you from in Delaware? I grew up in Delmar and went ot the Univ of Del.

Edited by Straughn

RCL does not have any solo cabins. What they do have is a 150-200% single suppliment for most cruises if you want to occupy a cabin by yourself. Occasionally, you can find a cruise where the suppliment is only 125%, but that is very rare.

But 200% of a great sale price is still a great solo price, and I'm worth it!

Actually, I think Costa has some solo cabins. I thought it was the only cruise line did; I did not know Carnival had any ships with single cabins.

Yes, Costa do have single cabins. The newer ships are copies of the Carnival ships and they have 1A's (Fortuna certainly has). Many of the older Costa ships have singles too, Allegra, Marina, Europa definitely have single cabins...I had a single on Allegra last year and will do again next year too. The supplement runs from around the 30-100% depending on itinerary - repo or loop and if single cabin or twin availability.

Edited by Goldryder

But 200% of a great sale price is still a great solo price, and I'm worth it!

But doesn't it seem like a waste of money?

One person doesn't use as much water or eat as much food. Doesn't paying the same price for one person as one would for two seem like flushing money down the drain?

On my first cruise I let the cruiseline hook me up with another single. What a horrid experience that was! Subsequently, I've always cruised with a group. I've never cruised solo. I'd love to. I like to be alone. But I know I'd keep thinking: I'm paying as much for "me" as it would cost for "me and another person".

I have yet to be able to bring myself to do that. Maybe someday.

(I need to find a cruiser willing to pay 200% for a cruise and take me along!) :D

I hate the single supplements also, but from the cruise line's perspective, if they allow singles to sail at the regular per person rate, they lose money. Yes, one person doesn't eat as much as two, but then again, one person doesn't usually spend as much as two. When it's a couple you have them buying two drinks, spending for two on the shore excursions and so on. One person cruising as a solo doesn't spend what a couple spends, so the cruise line loses in every way.

Carnival does not actually have any single cabins. The 1As are 2 beds, one fixed and one folds down from the wall. They are usually 125% but, are capacity controlled. Single supplement for inside and o/v is generally 200%. That is not a good deal no matter how how you look at it. A Solo pays double and only gets credit for 1 cruise. I guess we just have to eat twice as much to get our moneys worth.:D

Edited by Traveler353

The Farcas Fantasy ships in the Costa fleet have the equivalent of the 1A cabins. The older Costa ships have pure single cabins...no lurking bunk beds anywhere waiting to drop out of the wall and belt you on the nut when you least expect them ;)

Fred Olsen also have pure single cabins too.

Nice and roomy, same wardrobe space as if a twin just without the extra bed.

Edited by Goldryder

The Farcas Fantasy ships in the Costa fleet have the equivalent of the 1A cabins. The older Costa ships have pure single cabins...no lurking bunk beds anywhere waiting to drop out of the wall and belt you on the nut when you least expect them ;)

Fred Olsen also have pure single cabins too.

Nice and roomy, same wardrobe space as if a twin just without the extra bed.

I must admit that I have thought about one of the fold down beds doing just that at the wrong time. Ouch!

I've cruised solo on Royal Caribbean twice and no they do not have the A1 cabins like on Carnival they do sometimes offer some great deals for solo cruiseres if you can afford to wait till the last minute to book.

Most of the cruises I have booked have all been at exceptional rates because I wait 30 days to 2-weeks before the sail date and then start shopping. I normally find I can get a great deal on an interior guarantee. I figure they are thinking it's so close to sail date that they rather have someone in that room spending some money then no one at all. You can't pick your room when you choose a guarantee but your chances of being visted by the upgrade fairy increase substantially. My last cruise I was upgraded for free from an interior to an ocean view.

Also another good thing about Royal is that the two twins convert into 1 queen and on Carnival the A1 rooms well its just like a twin bunk bed in there.

• 5 months later...
I hate the single supplements also, but from the cruise line's perspective, if they allow singles to sail at the regular per person rate, they lose money. Yes, one person doesn't eat as much as two, but then again, one person doesn't usually spend as much as two. When it's a couple you have them buying two drinks, spending for two on the shore excursions and so on. One person cruising as a solo doesn't spend what a couple spends, so the cruise line loses in every way.

I am sorry to dissappoint you but I do not agree with you view that cruise lines loose in every way if one person is travelling alone. The surcharges of 150 to 200% make sure that they do not loose. Also as a solo travel yo are more in the situation of taking organised tours from the ship, which couples do not necessarily do because they can arrange things by them selves. Besides, as a solo travel you can not become cabins on the lower end of the price and also you are not offered the best cabins. So you have the feeling of paying more for less.

If you look at the offers of cruiselines, you will see that there are all sorts of cabins available if you are prepared to book for 2 people. if you want to book for one, suddenly most of the categories dissappear and you receive the offer at increased prices for cabins which are not good located.

It is a pitty that this is the case. Solo travellers are usually well travelled people worthed to receive a better treatment and not to have the feeling of punishment because you decided to travel alone.

It's worth the extra cost to me to solo cruise. I have gotten great deals last minute as well on RCL, but each person's idea of a great deal may not be the same as mine. I have only travelled once inside solo and prefer that if I'm going to pamper myself to a cruise, I'll pay the extra. I have gotten bargains on balconies (at least to me it was a bargain). I figure they are going to get you one way or the other, but I am the one who makes that choice and know what I want to get out of the experience.

I am sorry to dissappoint you but I do not agree with you view that cruise lines loose in every way if one person is travelling alone. The surcharges of 150 to 200% make sure that they do not loose. Also as a solo travel yo are more in the situation of taking organised tours from the ship, which couples do not necessarily do because they can arrange things by them selves. Besides, as a solo travel you can not become cabins on the lower end of the price and also you are not offered the best cabins. So you have the feeling of paying more for less.

If you look at the offers of cruiselines, you will see that there are all sorts of cabins available if you are prepared to book for 2 people. if you want to book for one, suddenly most of the categories dissappear and you receive the offer at increased prices for cabins which are not good located.

It is a pitty that this is the case. Solo travellers are usually well travelled people worthed to receive a better treatment and not to have the feeling of punishment because you decided to travel alone.

I must disagree. I've had no problem whatsoever booking highly-desirable aft cabins and mini-suites as a solo. What cruise line(s) are you referring to that won't offer good locations to solos?

I must disagree. I've had no problem whatsoever booking highly-desirable aft cabins and mini-suites as a solo. What cruise line(s) are you referring to that won't offer good locations to solos?

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the offers online from Royal caribbean and Celebrity. There you will notice that although if you are prepared to book for two there are rooms available in almost all categories, if you request reservation for one person only, some categories are not anymore available.

Not sure what lines you use, but if you're willing to pay the price, you can book whatever cabin you desire. I've had penthouses, Royal Suites, and family suites on many lines as a solo. I've not had to accept second class status on any cruise. As a matter of fact, I booked a Family View cabin as a solo, a cabin that most think you need four to book, on Celebrity with absolutely no problem. I've booked suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and other lines as a solo, again with no problem.

Again, in disagreement with you, but I don't take the cruise ship's tours and go off on my own. But you must agree that with regards to spending on the ship, two persons spend more than one, unless of course the solo person is lush and sits in the bars all day and night LOL.

You pay only one set of port fees and taxes, so it's not exactly double the cost, but still...

I read on the CC News page that Norwegian designed it's new ships with some cabins designed specifically for singles. What a great idea!

Unfortunately, my preferred line is RCL and I can get discounts there due to using their credit card. I can get some discounts on Carnival as well, as I own stock in both companies.

Not sure what lines you use, but if you're willing to pay the price, you can book whatever cabin you desire. I've had penthouses, Royal Suites, and family suites on many lines as a solo. I've not had to accept second class status on any cruise. As a matter of fact, I booked a Family View cabin as a solo, a cabin that most think you need four to book, on Celebrity with absolutely no problem. I've booked suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and other lines as a solo, again with no problem.

I just came back from a Caribbean cruise (Celebrity Millennium). I was traveling with my daughter, but while on board I booked my next cruise as solo (with RCC). What do you know? When I wanted to book aft cabin the Sales Cruise Manager told me that these cabins are not available for solo booking. And some aft cabins are available even for more than 2 people ONLY. Did anybody else had the same experience?:confused:

I have traveled on nearly all the mainstream lines (Celebrity, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Princess, etc...) and have ironically booked my first solo on RCCL. I have never booked RCCL because of price point, but found RCCL cheapest for this solo cruise.

I suppose like anything it pays to shop around, but I found a price of $749.00 pp (plus tax) for a balcony cabin. Single suppliment was 150%. I really wanted a balcony and many of the other lines charge 200% for a solo balcony, so RCCL at 150% was a 'deal' to me. The cost ended up right around $1,300 for a solo balcony 10 nights. Princess, Celebrity, NCL, came in around this price for 7 nights. This is Easter week.

I tested the theory of reserving certain cabins for non-solos and found that on my sailing, the exact same cabin inventory was available regardless of double or single occupancy. I realize this may not always be the case, but it was the case for this particular trip.

I do know that I am checking every day for a stern balcony to become available and will ask my agent to move me should one open up. I will be very upset if they refuse me an available aft cabin because I'm traveling solo, but honestly don't expect that to be outcome. I suppose time will tell.

Wishing everyone happy solo travels,

Cheryl :)

A yo-yo or RCI's pricing structure? I am getting the hang of how lines like Cunard re-sell and discount cruises at certain points (you can pretty much set your clock by 6 months before the cruise), but RCI continues to baffle me, not least if you are a single traveler.

Currently there is a cruise on Independence where you cannot book the lowest grades if you are a single traveler AT THIS POINT IN TIME, you could last week.! Adjust the number of people to two and a plethora of standard insides become available.

Further to this irritation you can't book a guaranteed cabin as a single traveler at the time of writing, yet you can book a standard inside guaranteed if you're a couple.

This changes from week to week and day to day.

So, at present, if you want to book this cruise on your own not only will you have to pay 75-80% surcharge for being on your own but you can't book the lowest grades or even have a chance of an upgrade with a guaranteed cabin

Are you doing this via RCI's website? Maybe try checking this via an online travel agency. (Plenty of them are advertised here on Cruise Critic.) Or, try telephoning RCI to see if their reservation agents have different access. The problem you're encountering my simply be a system glitch.

Hope this helps!