Dress Code

eliana

We have not been with Silversea for about five years having sailed mainly with Regent and Seabourn. We are considering sailing with the Cloud this spring. We have got used to the more casual dress codes on Regent and Seabourn, mainly smart casual and the occasional optional formal. What is it like on the Cloud? Not so stuffy as it used to be we hope.

Edited by eliana

I was on the Cloud late last year - it was my first Silversea trip. I would say that every night, irrespective of the official dress code, is smart casual. At least, on formal nights I think about a third of the passengers stuck to the old world thing and perhaps they did enforce a dress code in the main dining room. We hardly ever ate there and took almost all our meals on the open deck at the back of La Terrazza where even on formal nights I didn't need a jacket or a tie. No one batted so much as an eyelid. Many passengers seemed to think the same way.

Edited by Fletcher

Practically no where is as stuffy as it used to be. If you want to get away with dressing less formally than their dress codes suggest you probably will be able to. And if you want to follow the codes but don't want to dress formally, there are informal and casual dining options available on formal evenings.

We have not been with Silversea for about five years having sailed mainly with Regent and Seabourn. We are considering sailing with the Cloud this spring. We have got used to the more casual dress codes on Regent and Seabourn, mainly smart casual and the occasional optional formal. What is it like on the Cloud? Not so stuffy as it used to be we hope.

While I'm not sure about what "not so stuffy" means exactly my impression is that Silversea's dress code is not as relaxed as Regent and Seabourn's. For our upcoming 10-day cruise we'll have two formal, five informal, and three casual and each type of night has a dress code and certain venues where the code is or isn't as strictly enforced.

I have not been on the Cloud since 2013, but have been on the Spirit twice since, last was Feburary 2015. There were 3 dress codes, for different nights and different venues, as Randy noted, and I believe these applied and still do apply, in principle, on all regular SS ships, am not sure about expeditions.

I do not think the issue should be what one can "get away" with, but what the expectations of the line, wait staff, and other pax is, on any given night and venue. Many pax sail SS precisely because they LIKE the more dressy options, and get upset if the code is not enforced. DH and I noted the dress code was very much enforced on our four SS cruises, and we like to try to be respectful of the stated code, for the sake of other pax pleasure, and to avoid making wait entryway staff uncomfortable having to decide. We can sail other lines (and have) if we want to avoid any dressing up.

Formal nights code -- usually one a week, either suit and tie or tuxedo ( less and less of those) in the MDR, "informal" or jacket without tie in the terrace venue, casual (no coat or tie) at the Hot Rocks, and there was also in room dining, and note even a "dine naked" option is available there ( the latter is probably best avoided if the butler is serving course by course).

DH and I usually "hid" from the MDR on formal nights to avoid people who like tuxedos, though he owns a nice suit and looks good in it, by going to the terrace venue (jacketed) or did things in-room. If there was a show that evening we would then dress per the highest dress code of the evening.

Informal nights -- only jacket required in MDR, terrace, and no tie; and just casual at Hot Rocks ( no tie or jacket)

Casual nights -- nice elegant casual everywhere, no coat, no tie, but long pants, no shorts or sandals or bare feet e.g., no hairy toes for men, and it is probably best to avoid general slob-like attire ( you know it when you see it) or T shirts with provocative messages.

Also note that if men get hot in their jackets, once seated, they can take them off and put them on the back of their chairs, that is fine, just wear them during the parade to the table, and out.

DH typically brought a suit, used the jacket from it on informal nights, so no need to double pack.

Women "get away" with much more, as long dresses are not required even on formal nights. Black outfits, even pants, with some nice jewelry and some glitzy top can do the trick for "formal" night, then skip the glitz on informal, one pair nice but steady heels for the whole trip, easy packing!

I think you will find that very little has changed on Silversea regarding the dress code over the last 5 years. The vast majority of repeat cruisers seem to like it that way, and for once SS management seems to be listening.

It seems as if Seabourn are the only 'luxury' line that continues with the rather antiquated semi-formal as well as smart casual and formal (now increasingly called optional and tuxedos and long evening gowns seem endangered species).On all our recent cruises on the other three luxury line everyone, except for one or two, looked smart on all evenings in virtually every restaurant. Eating out in very good restaurants in London,

many men no longer wear jackets and ties are very rare.

Edited by eliana

I have not been on the Cloud since 2013, but have been on the Spirit twice since, last was Feburary 2015. There were 3 dress codes, for different nights and different venues, as Randy noted, and I believe these applied and still do apply, in principle, on all regular SS ships, am not sure about expeditions.

I do not think the issue should be what one can "get away" with, but what the expectations of the line, wait staff, and other pax is, on any given night and venue. Many pax sail SS precisely because they LIKE the more dressy options, and get upset if the code is not enforced. DH and I noted the dress code was very much enforced on our four SS cruises, and we like to try to be respectful of the stated code, for the sake of other pax pleasure, and to avoid making wait entryway staff uncomfortable having to decide. We can sail other lines (and have) if we want to avoid any dressing up.

Formal nights code -- usually one a week, either suit and tie or tuxedo ( less and less of those) in the MDR, "informal" or jacket without tie in the terrace venue, casual (no coat or tie) at the Hot Rocks, and there was also in room dining, and note even a "dine naked" option is available there ( the latter is probably best avoided if the butler is serving course by course).

DH and I usually "hid" from the MDR on formal nights to avoid people who like tuxedos, though he owns a nice suit and looks good in it, by going to the terrace venue (jacketed) or did things in-room. If there was a show that evening we would then dress per the highest dress code of the evening.

Informal nights -- only jacket required in MDR, terrace, and no tie; and just casual at Hot Rocks ( no tie or jacket)

Casual nights -- nice elegant casual everywhere, no coat, no tie, but long pants, no shorts or sandals or bare feet e.g., no hairy toes for men, and it is probably best to avoid general slob-like attire ( you know it when you see it) or T shirts with provocative messages.

Also note that if men get hot in their jackets, once seated, they can take them off and put them on the back of their chairs, that is fine, just wear them during the parade to the table, and out.

DH typically brought a suit, used the jacket from it on informal nights, so no need to double pack.

Women "get away" with much more, as long dresses are not required even on formal nights. Black outfits, even pants, with some nice jewelry and some glitzy top can do the trick for "formal" night, then skip the glitz on informal, one pair nice but steady heels for the whole trip, easy packing!

Well said. I was on the Spirit in July 2015 for 10 days in the Med and the dress code we enforced for the most part, but not overly strict.

I think you will find that very little has changed on Silversea regarding the dress code over the last 5 years. The vast majority of repeat cruisers seem to like it that way, and for once SS management seems to be listening.

Very nicely said.

How did you enforce the dress code?

They enforce the dress code by asking the passenger(s) to go back and either change clothes or dine in their suites. Unfortunately, we do find the dress code on Silversea too formal (which does not mean that we do not dress up in order to meet the requirements). Silversea has a majority of guests that are not from North America (not a problem -- just a fact) and, IMO, it will take a while longer for passengers from some countries to learn to enjoy a less formal atmosphere (I will likely be flamed simply because I said this).

Perhaps Silversea will let go of their ultra formality when Seabourn will let go of their smoking policy (said tongue in cheek):o

It has been our experience that the evening's dress code is strictly enforced for pre-dinner drinks in The Bar. Many times we have seen under-dressed guests being quietly asked to leave by bar staff, an unpleasant duty indeed.

Please conform to the requested dress code and do not put the staff in the uncomfortable position of being fashion police.

It has been our experience that the evening's dress code is strictly enforced for pre-dinner drinks in The Bar. Many times we have seen under-dressed guests being quietly asked to leave by bar staff, an unpleasant duty indeed.

Please conform to the requested dress code and do not put the staff in the uncomfortable position of being fashion police.

We generally visit one of the bars before dinner and have never encountered such an issue on Regent or Seabourn. It seems that the problem might arise

because of the inflexibility and rigid and not relaxed dress codes of Silversea. They really need to move into the 21st century. I find it very difficult to accept that they would lose custom if they dropped semi-formal and made most nights smart casual with occasional optional formal, as with Regent and Seabourn.

Edited by eliana

Have to confess the only time I've ever been "corrected" about my attire was in The Bar on the Wind. :o We'd been off the ship all day in Livorno and I mistakenly slipped or should say tried to slip into The Bar. I actually don't remember why I was going in there now other than I think I was looking for our cruise companions. The server was very nice about it and pointed out it was after the appointed change over time to the dress code for that evening. This was early on in our Silversea cruise history and as I reflect back on it now I'm actually glad it happened as it reminded me politely that the dress code is enforced. We actually like Silversea's dress code and easily adher to it. It's a plus for us.

It continues to surprise me that there are people who wish to change the dress code on SS and bring it down to a level that is acceptable on Regent or Crystal.

Firstly, SS is a European Cruise line, with a cosmopolitan guest list that is not dominated by our cousins from across the ocean.

Second, a condiderable number of the repeat cruisers actually like the current dress code, and strangely the management seems to understand this.

Third, there is sufficient competition that has moved to the 'dress down' code for those who will feel uncomfortable with tuxs or jackets not to be spoilt for choice.

Lets keep it the way it is.

It continues to surprise me that there are people who wish to change the dress code on SS and bring it down to a level that is acceptable on Regent or Crystal.

Firstly, SS is a European Cruise line, with a cosmopolitan guest list that is not dominated by our cousins from across the ocean.

Second, a condiderable number of the repeat cruisers actually like the current dress code, and strangely the management seems to understand this.

Third, there is sufficient competition that has moved to the 'dress down' code for those who will feel uncomfortable with tuxs or jackets not to be spoilt for choice.

Lets keep it the way it is.

Hip hip hooray! You said it perfectly ! Even though I am a cousin from across the ocean, and a repeat customer, SS is one of the few remaining venues where ladies and gentlemen can be sure to enjoy an elegant evening occasionally.

eliana, I think you will enjoy Silversea despite some unkind comments made by a few posters. IMO, elderly men with "turkey necks" look worse wearing a tuxedo than wearing a sports jacket but that is just my opinion;)

The food on Silversea is "almost" as good as on Regent (some of their meals are better) and the service is equal to Regent. Having sailed on the Whisper, Shadow and Spirit, we find the Whisper and Shadow extremely lovely - very comfortable but do not care for the Spirit. We toured the Cloud and would not sail on either of the older, small ships.

Women really have no difficulty meeting the dress code on board but it is a bit more difficult for men. Having a dark suit and sports jacket seems to do the trick.

It will be interesting to see if anything happens with the dress code now that Mark Conroy has a big roll in the "Americas". Whle Silversea is not owned by a U.S. corporation (nor is Crystal), in order to entice more passengers from the "Americas", they may need to make some compromises (as Regent has done for their European guests).

O dear!, it seems I must have touched a raw nerve. Maybe those who prefer the Regent and Seabourn dress codes should switch for at least one cruise to SS and vice-versa. Then we can all compare notes. We still intend to return to SS later this year and will not drink and dine in our suite, but adher to whatever is the dress code that day.