What's the best way?

mac66

Not necessarily the cheapest to get open water certified if you've never dived before?

I've been on a bunch of cruises and am tired of just snorkling. Always wanted to dive and finally have the time. Going on cruise the end of February and was thinking of taking a discovery class.

But on the other hand, I thought I might just take a scuba class locally and get certified. On the other, other hand, I live in the north so no open water dives until spring/summer around here.

I have read that one can take the class however and then do the open water dive check out while at a port while on a cruise. Caveat is you can only do two dives in one day so you would have be checked out on two different days/ports.

I've also read that you can complete most of the class on line and then do the check out dives.

So, should I simply take the online class and then set up checkout dives while on my cruise?

Or should I take a local class and then only do the open water check out dives on the cruise?

Or should I just take the discovery class and then do a full class back home when the weather warms up?

I certified a couple of years ago. I too, was tired of snorkeling. I have done about 50 dives now, all amazing! I wish I would have certified earlier. The dive community is a great group of people.

Here was my method. Go online to PADI, do the preliminary course work. It takes about 8-10 hours. There are tests, but it is informative. I completed it over about 4 days. Then, go to your local dive shop to sign up. They will host 2 days of classes in a pool, which is great to get comfortable in an easy environment. After this, you must do 4 open water dives, 2 a day for 2 days. I did mine in March, we wore wetsuits. Then you are good to go.", head to the Caribbean and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not necessarily the cheapest to get open water certified if you've never dived before?

I've been on a bunch of cruises and am tired of just snorkling. Always wanted to dive and finally have the time. Going on cruise the end of February and was thinking of taking a discovery class.

But on the other hand, I thought I might just take a scuba class locally and get certified. On the other, other hand, I live in the north so no open water dives until spring/summer around here.

I have read that one can take the class however and then do the open water dive check out while at a port while on a cruise. Caveat is you can only do two dives in one day so you would have be checked out on two different days/ports.

I've also read that you can complete most of the class on line and then do the check out dives.

So, should I simply take the online class and then set up checkout dives while on my cruise?

Or should I take a local class and then only do the open water check out dives on the cruise?

Or should I just take the discovery class and then do a full class back home when the weather warms up?

Live near a public university? Consider their extended learning division, which may offer what you need and want at an extremely reasonable cost.

What would I do? I hate diving in cold weather so I would take the online class, do the pool dives locally and go to the embarkation port early to do my check out dives there before going on the ship. The checkout dives aren't as fun as real dives so I would want to do them before the real dives.

Discovery scuba seems a bit expensive and just not as cool as being certified ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Best" way to get certified is going to vary based on the person. The components exist regardless, but you have options that may be better or worse for you.

First, there are three major training agencies: PADI, SSI, and NAUI. They all provide training that conforms to a standardized set of criteria. Therefore a certification from any of the three is absolutely interchangeable. There are differences between the agencies, but at this first step of your training, there's no need to concern yourself with those. Your focus should be on the people and businesses you'll be dealing with; not which set of initials are on you C-card (certification card). In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm an SSI instructor. If you are interested in the differences between the agencies, you can send an email at the link below, but as an OW diver they are not nearly as important as finding a shop and instructor you're comfortable with.

Certification involves home study (used to be a text book, now it's an online course), classroom and pool, and your open water dives.

Online Course: You can start this independently, by going to one of the agency's website, but it's better to decide on a local dive shop first. You don't want to get halfway through the PADI on line course, to find out you're going to be at an SSI shop, or vice versa. The online course is a component of your training, but it does not replace the classroom and pool portion. You cannot proceed to your open water dives (AKA check-out dives) with only your on line course.

It's only been in the past few years that the home study portion moved from books to the computer based materials. I was extremely skeptical of whether this would be a good move. I can say I'm 100% convinced now. Students get so much more out of the online course than they did from the books. Even the best students back when the books were used would not have near the comprehension of the material that students are getting from the online materials. I see two reasons for this: first there was no real way to ensure the students were really studying the books; and a lot would sort of quickly skim them. The online course provides more ability to monitor the student's progress. Second, the online materials can integrate text, pictures and videos, that make concepts much more clear.

Once you've completed your online course, it's time for your Classroom/Pool portion. It pays to find a dive shop that has their own pool. First this makes scheduling easier; and second a dive shop can keep the pool considerably warmer. That makes your training a lot more comfortable. Generally you're looking at about 16 hours of classroom and pool time. This is frequently broken up into four evenings, or two weekend days. You'll be able to find something that works for you. The smaller the class size, the faster it goes.

Once you've completed the classroom/pool, you're ready for your open water dives. There are a minimum of four dives required, and no more than three can be on one day. It sounds like you're somewhat familiar with your options. They are to do your OW dives locally with your same instructor, or do what are called "referral" dives. Doing them locally has a few advantages. First, diving with your same instructor should provide a level of comfort, since you are familiar with that person. Second, most inland diving is in lakes and reservoirs that have poor visibility. I honestly feel the divers I train locally get a real benefit from the exposure to the low visibility environment. There are divers and dive pros that have only dove in the oceans, and have never experienced real murky conditions. Divers who do recognize it's not a reason for panic. So, even if you decide to do your certification dives in the ocean, please consider some local dives this summer. Maybe a specialty course with your instructor, so you can get that experience.

The other option is the referral method. This means your instructor gives you paperwork, and you go someplace and complete your certification dives with and instructor there. Because the course content is standardized, the referrals are universal. You can use a shop and instructor affiliated with one training agency for your classroom and pool, and not worry of the instructor for your OW dives is with another. If you're doing referral dives, you want your primary instructor to spend extra time in the pool telling you what to expect during open waters; and then you want to make sure when you meet your referral instructor, you're clear on what's expected on each dive. The onus is on you once you're underwater to demonstrate the skills. The instructor is there to assess your performance, not teach you the skills (that's done in the classroom/pool).

Doing referral dives on a cruise adds a layer of complexity. Since you won't be in a port for two days, you're trying to set up referrals with two instructors. The system is not set up to accommodate this, so you have to find an instructor in each port willing to do it. You can see that it's a bit of a risk for them, as each is signing off on half your certification; and each is somewhat reliant on the other - whom they've never met - to assess you similarly. It definitely can be done, but you'll need to plan on extra research in advance to make sure you're organized properly; and that both instructors know what you're doing and agree to it. If you are starting your cruise in Florida, or another warm destination, consider going early and doing all of your OW dives with a shop there. That eliminates a lot of potential problems, and then you go on your cruse as a certified diver.

Once your referral dives are done, you're certified. You'll return the form to your original shop, and they'll order your C-card. When I have students go on referrals, we arrange for them to fax or email their form back, and we'll get their card in the system immediately, so they have digital access to it.

When comparing costs of training, make sure the price you're quoted includes: Agency costs (PADI, SSI, NAUI, etc) for your materials, all shop and instructor training fees (PADI shops in particular may have separated out the shop's and instructor's fees). Use of equipment during training, and the cost of the printed certification card (since there is a valid digital card issued, many shops will charge separately for the physical card. You definitely do want it). Strictly for reference, I'll tell you that, at the shop I teach at, if a student is in a group course, they pay $300.00 if they will be doing referrals, and $450.00 if they will be diving locally. These prices include all the above. Prices vary based on the shop, and the part of the country.

You will be expected to have your own - scuba quality - mask, snorkel fins and boots. Figure that you're looking at about $225.00 to $275.00 for this gear. Of course it's yours to keep, and will be the core of your diving equipment. Go quality not price here.

Feel free to use the link below to email me with any questions.

Harris

Denver, CO

http://www.divessi.com/pro/64612

Edited by omeinv

I'd do a discover scuba on your cruise to make sure you really want to scuba dive before going for certification.

Another option would be to do a discover scuba locally - usually done in whatever pool the dive shop has access to - to get an idea if you want to make it a hobby. Diving is great but if you want to keep at it, it change your vacation planning forever and if you don't keep at it, you've wasted a fair amount of money on certification. It's not really the kind of activity you can do every couple years and assume you remember everything (although I realize people do this all the time). It also takes a bit of practice to get good at it. Practice that you won't get if you don't dive locally nor dive on vacation frequently

background: you can complete the wet portion of PADI Open Water in two days .... a day and a half actually. dd did the online stuff at school then she and I went to Key Largo for a weekend (spring break). We got to the dive shop we'd scheduled with around 8. They gave her a written test (multiple choice) which checked her book learning. Then she headed to the pool for a session of about 2 hours for a swim test, basic gear familiarization and basic skills like clearing the mask etc. Next we had an hour for lunch then met at the dive boat and out for dives one and two. Next morning it was straight to the boat and out for dives 3 and 4. Back at the shop by 1pm and she had her open water card. I know a bunch of places to do this in the Keys and I know Sunset House does it in Cayman ... (stay for 5 diving days, get certified in the first two and then dive the remaining 3)

I mention this because I learned from a discussion up in the RCL board that RCL has put together an open water certification referral program just like this:

PADI Open Water Diver Course - XZC4

"... You’ll begin at home by studying the basic principles of scuba diving and safety-related skills using the Open Water Diver Manual online. Then once onboard it’s time to hit the water: within the safe and shallow surroundings of your ship’s pool, you’ll be led by expert PADI dive instructors through confined water dives, complete with all the necessary scuba gear. Once you are comfortable in the water, you’ll head out at two different cruise ports to experience two-tank dives at some of the world’s most spectacular underwater destinations. At the end of your certification course, you’ll be equipped to execute dives independently ..."

So, by completing the book stuff b4 the cruise you avoid the time in a classroom.

This is DIFFERENT from the SCUBA DIVER course that has been mentioned in this SCUBA section and 'not recommended' [maybe they heard some of us poo-poo the SCUBA DIVER course]

IMO this SOUNDS good ... it is a 'checkout referral' all taken care of for you which sounds GREAT.

Something to think about anyway ...

BUT - when I click the button to search for cruises that OFFER this excursion it always comes back "none found" ..... hmmmmmmmm .... maybe this is so new the cruises are linked yet .. dunno

one limit would appear to be finding a cruise with two good diving ports ..... Labadee and JA ports don't cut the mustard IMO/E

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=xzc4&DestinationCode=

p.s. it ain't cheap .... $600/person ... but in the Keys it will still cost around $400 .... Sunset House is $325

Edited by Capt_BJ

Go to a Local Dive Shop and see if you feel comfortable with them - if not, visit another. You can either do the course work online or thru instructor-led classes - I've done both approaches and they both work. Do the pool work locally and then do the open water dives in a locale that has warm water and good visibility - think Florida, the Bahamas, Mexico, or any islands in the Caribbean. Cold, dark quarries and a 7mm wetsuit, hood and gloves are no way to go through life. Life is a joy - enjoy it.

Edited by smokinmike

Ask if it’s possible to meet with your instructor before making a decision. A lot of places the person you meet at the desk will not be the instructor of your course. You may need some flexibility, as many (probably most) dive instructors have other employment. However, most should be willing to meet at some mutually convenient time. Of course if you’re leaving in 2 weeks, and want to start class tomorrow, you may have foreclosed this possibility. That being said, an instructor should be willing to make themselves available for this meeting.

Some questions that you can ask your instructor:

How many students will be in my class? The agency standards allow for 8 students to one instructor. That would be a very slow-moving class, and personal attention would be almost nil. Expect to pay extra for a course with only yourself, or yourself and one other, but otherwise your group should be a reasonable size. If you do pay extra for individualized instruction, you’ll likely get your money’s worth, as the course moves at exactly your speed, and extra time is only focused where you need it.

How many dives are in your log book? This should give you two pieces of information; some idea of how much diving your instructor has done, and what their attitude is toward logging dives properly. Logging dives is a personal decision, but an instructor should be modeling that proper behavior for students; and keeping a log book is proper behavior.

Where and when was your last dive that was not part of instructing a course? You want to know if your instructor is still diving for fun and has a passion for the sport. A lot get to the point where they teach and just sort of otherwise lose interest.

What happens if I have trouble and fall behind in class? This happens. A student may have trouble with a particular critical skill, or just not progress as fast as others. Again, if you put yourself in a position where there’s no extra time (e.g. starting class immediately before a trip, or signing up for a class on vacation, when you don’t have flexibility) you limit what can be done. However, an instructor should indicate that a reasonable amount of extra work is included in the course. Eventually, you will incur some additional cost if it becomes necessary. Remember you’re paying for training, not for certification. That can only be earned, not bought.

What specialty course would be the first one you recommend after I complete my Open Water course? There are a great number of courses available. All help you develop specific knowledge or skills that make diving more fun, safer, or more interesting. Almost any course can be the “right” answer here; just listen to your potential instructor’s reasons. There’s one that I consider a “red flag”. If the instructor says “Peak Performance Buoyancy” (PADI) or “Perfect Buoyancy” (SSI) that’s an issue. I would be ashamed to tell a potential student that when he or she was finished with an open water course I taught, they would then benefit from a buoyancy course. That should be part and parcel of your Open Water training. Those courses have a place, but a diver properly trained shouldn’t need remedial work on buoyancy. Practice yes, but the knowledge is part of Open Water training.

How many of your Open Water students have you also taught a specialty course? This tells you if the instructor’s students are returning to the same instructor when they want more knowledge.

During all this, you should be asking yourself a question. Is this an instructor I’m confident in, and do I like this person’s personality? You’ll be spending a fair amount of time with your instructor, and ideally developing a relationship that will continue over time. If they’re not a match for you, another will be. The point is this is something you’re doing for fun; and you’re the customer. You’ll get the most out of the training if you “hire” your instructor; rather than just get assigned to them.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

Great info, thanks. Lots to think about. I'm inclined to take a local class but most of the dive shops here (Michigan) do their open water dives in a quarry in Ohio but not in January or February.

Some research suggests that I could take a class locally and/or online course, do the pool dives and then do the open water checks in some of the ports we are visiting in February. I've already found a couple places to do the checks. Costs for the classes and open water checks are about the same whether I do it on the cruise or have to travel to Ohio for the weekend. On the other hand, getting tested out is not the best way to spend a cruise vacation. That's a good point.

Will I like diving? I am a very strong swimmer and particularly like to free dive while snorkeling. I feel very comfortable under water and hate having to come back up to the surface but for the lack of air. So yeah, I think I will like it.

Lots of stuff to think about.

Just an addition to the above post since I can't edit it.

My wife read the above, nodded her head and said, "why don't you just take a class when we are are down there?" She reminds me that we are going to Florida 2 weeks before our cruise and visiting her parents. They live in The Villages, we have an RV. Apparently there is a dive shop in Leesburg where I can take the class and get certified before the cruise. I will be checking into that option today.

My wife is smart. Me?....not so much. :)

Just an addition to the above post since I can't edit it.

My wife read the above, nodded her head and said, "why don't you just take a class when we are are down there?" She reminds me that we are going to Florida 2 weeks before our cruise and visiting her parents. They live in The Villages, we have an RV. Apparently there is a dive shop in Leesburg where I can take the class and get certified before the cruise. I will be checking into that option today.

My wife is smart. Me?....not so much. :)

That sounds like it would be a perfect option, especially since you have two full weeks. You have the time you'll need to do it without rushing, and then you can go on your cruise as a certified diver, and really enjoy both your cruise and your dives.

Both SSI and PADI have web tools to help you locate a dive shop. I would definitely make calls well in advance, and get everything pre-arranged.

SSI: https://www.divessi.com/dc_locator

PADI: http://apps.padi.com/scuba-diving/dive-shop-locator/

Harris

Denver, CO

ask where the Leesburg shop does their checkouts ... you could be in a lake!

or Crystal River ....

every time I click on the web page for the one shop I see in Leesburg I get a shop in VA ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Well I checked around the area in Florida where I will be and none of the shops are running classes at a time when I can take them prior to the cruise. Bottom line is that I will just do a discovery dive on the cruise and do a certification class at home in the future.

• 6 months later...

Went back to reread this thread, the info here is great.

Just a quick Update..

I ended up taking a discovery scuba in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock Dive Center in February. I loved it. I intended to then take a local certification class this summer when the weather warmed up but life got in the way and I never got around to.

We booked another cruise in December so now I am back to square one. Get certified before I go, or just do the OW certification class offered on the ship? Cost is about the same when you consider that on the ship you do the confined dives in their pool and the 4 OW dives in two different ports. If you got certified at home you still have to book and pay for the dives. I wouldn't likely do 4 dives on a cruise.

Next local class starts in Sept with the OW part at the end of the month.

I do know I want to get certified. We do at least one cruise or sometimes two every year and I want to dive in the ports we've been to multiple times.

Edited by mac66

Went back to reread this thread, the info here is great.

Just a quick Update..

I ended up taking a discovery scuba in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock Dive Center in February. I loved it. I intended to then take a local certification class this summer when the weather warmed up but life got in the way and I never got around to.

We booked another cruise in December so now I am back to square one. Get certified before I go, or just do the OW certification class offered on the ship? Cost is about the same when you consider that on the ship you do the confined dives in their pool and the 4 OW dives in two different ports. If you got certified at home you still have to book and pay for the dives. I wouldn't likely do 4 dives on a cruise.

Next local class starts in Sept with the OW part at the end of the month.

I do know I want to get certified. We do at least one cruise or sometimes two every year and I want to dive in the ports we've been to multiple times.

Mac,

Send me an email please. I may have another option for you.

Omeinv At gmail dot com

Harris

Denver, CO

skip a cruise

book a week at Sunset House

Do PADI e-learning b4 you go

complete open water certification on first two of typical 5 diving days. I'll bet a chocolate donut you have a class of you and an instructor ....

for pool work they have a pool, and their 'sea pool and for checkouts their shore diving is first rate

then you still have 3 diving days for boat dives and/or shore dives .....

a week in Cayman is not a bad alternative to a cruise . . .

skip a cruise

book a week at Sunset House

Do PADI e-learning b4 you go

complete open water certification on first two of typical 5 diving days. I'll bet a chocolate donut you have a class of you and an instructor ....

for pool work they have a pool, and their 'sea pool and for checkouts their shore diving is first rate

then you still have 3 diving days for boat dives and/or shore dives .....

a week in Cayman is not a bad alternative to a cruise . . .

I may do that at some point but I ain't skipping a cruise. ;p