Need input on solo for Crystal, Hal, Celebrity

traveled

I am trying to figure which line to choose. When factoring in supplements, alcohol, etc they run nearly the same price. When reading the posts on all of the lines for longer cruises the passengers seem ( clicky ) and everyone knows each other. I can handle everything but the meals. Are solos excluded, made welcom or just ignored. How do the staff treat the solos?

I am trying to figure which line to choose. When factoring in supplements, alcohol, etc they run nearly the same price. When reading the posts on all of the lines for longer cruises the passengers seem ( clicky ) and everyone knows each other. I can handle everything but the meals. Are solos excluded, made welcom or just ignored. How do the staff treat the solos?

I have not sailed with Crystal but I have sailed with HAL and Celebrity as a solo. My experience as a solo with both HAL and Celebrity has been fine. I don't think I was treated any different as a solo as what the couples are treated. As far as the staff I have been very fortunate and most times the staff will be very accommodating to all their guests. I am more of an extrovert than an introvert, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have not had any problems fitting in with the other guests.

Out of the three you mentioned I've only sailed solo on HAL. I agree with travelnap that they treat solos just fine. If you choose Anytime dining (or whatever they call it now) you have the option of sharing a table if you indicate that to be your preference.

One thing about the CruiseCritic posters for the longer cruises -- They're generally only a clique among themselves. The great majority of cruisers on most ships aren't even familiar with us.

I have enjoyed long cruises on Princess and HAL. On both, staff treated me with my expected courtesy and friendliness. (On one HAL cruise where we visited a hot/humid South Pacific island, my MDR Steward saw me (he was off duty) huffing and puffing due to the weather. "Do you need any help?", he asked. I was really OK, but that demonstrated to me the caring attitude of the staff.)

Cliques? On one segment of a world cruise: I was not aware of any. On my one full world cruise: yes, they were there. But, one can avoid them, if not ignore them.

But, there are also many experienced long duration cruisers who are very welcoming and pleasant.

I have sailed solo on both Crystal and HAL and was treated just as well by the staff as anyone on both. My fellow passengers on both lines have been very friendly! As you have discovered, because of Crystal's lower single supplement the price for a standard veranda cabin on Crystal is not much more per day than HAL's similar veranda when figuring in the gratuities, drinks, specialty restaurants that are all extra on HAL. Given a choice, I would definitely go with Crystal for the higher level of food, service and enrichment programs, but did enjoy my HAL experiences when the timing and itinerary were right.

I have sailed 3 times on Crystal as a solo, and I thoroughly enjoyed all 3. I never felt unwelcome as a solo, and I appreciated the fixed seating so I could get to know my table mates rather than sitting with new people each night. On my first 2 cruises I was seated at a table filled with other solo passengers, which is a fine start. On my first cruise those passengers and I were not a very good mix, from my point of view, and I asked to be switched to another table. No problem; they found an empty seat for me at a table with 2 solos, a couple, and a family of 3 (father, mother, adult daughter). They offer solos a prearranged table for 8 in the specialty restaurants too, should they wish to reserve a seat with a table of other solos; I have never gone that route, either reserving a table for 1 for myself, or reserving with others that I had met on board.

In my experience, solos on Crystal are treated like every other passenger, which is just what I wanted. There is no special host or activity director for solos, and no special events. I don't know if that's what you want, or that's what you're trying to avoid, LOL. The passengers on all my voyages have been pleasant or friendly (either is OK with me), and I got no negative vibes from them about me traveling solo.

• 2 months later...

I have sailed solo on Celebrity for years and have always felt welcomed. Meeting other solo cruisers is not something

I care about though.....as long as folks are friendly, that is more important to me.

Due to life circumstances changing, I have the opportunity to sail Silversea and I am leaving a week from tomorrow:D

Will see first hand what a luxury line is all about;)...besides the size of the ship.....much smaller. I am expecting the

food and service will be awesome:D

Due to life circumstances changing, I have the opportunity to sail Silversea and I am leaving a week from tomorrow:D Will see first hand what a luxury line is all about;)...besides the size of the ship.....much smaller. I am expecting the food and service will be awesome:D

I'll look forward to your "review" on that. I'm also thinking about upscaling my future cruise experiences. :-)

I'll look forward to your "review" on that. I'm also thinking about upscaling my future cruise experiences. :-)

Will be glad to let you know all about it:D

Have sailed with all 3 & enjoyed them all :)

Would you consider Seabourn, there are "hosted tables"at dinner every night, of course you can turn down the invitations, but I have really enjoyed them.

Drinks are included, so never a problem when joining new friends for a cocktail !

There are some great solo deals on the Quest at the moment in the Caribbean Iv booked Miami-Buenos Aires 24 nights , balcony gty, £6880. Not cheap, but that include everything except tours.

Also new bees get $400 towards these, see the top of the Seabourn posts.