any religious services on westerdam

creel5857

Every HAL ship carries a priest who officiates at a Catholic mass. There used to be protestant chaplains on longer cruises but that has been discontinued for almost a year.

What is left is a "congregation led" interdenominational service on Sundays which is usually pretty disorganized. The agency which provides the priests indicate that an interdenominational service is one of the functions that they can provide but few do it (Crystal's priests do an excellent job of this) and HAL seems almost to be sabotaging this possibility by scheduling the interdenominational service and the mass at the same time.

What they do provide is a room and small hymnbooks.

Roy

anyone have any information or copies of daily schedule regarding details about any religious services on Westerdam......time, locations, interdenominational??? thanks very much
You can also google churches for Sunday port visits.

anyone have any information or copies of daily schedule regarding details about any religious services on Westerdam......time, locations, interdenominational??? thanks very much

The time of services is dependent on whether it's a sea day or port day, and how long the ship is in port.

Roz

As a general rule, Mass is offered at 8 am on "sea days" and at 5 pm (although I have seen it offered at 5:30 pm on occasion) on "port days". The exact location depends on what other activities have been scheduled for the larger ship venues, so you need to check the Daily Navigator every day. Hope this helps.

Smooth sailing +++

I will be the priest chaplain on the Westerdam in October (Adriatic and Mediterranean Dream). If there is no Priest/Minister (from other denominations) on board, part of my responsibilities is to lead/facilitate an Interdenominational Service on Sundays. The time and place depends on the day (sea day vs port day) In my experience (brief that it may be), the two Sunday Services are never held at the same time, allowing me to attend both. I have been on cruises where there were a Protestant Minister and a Rabbi on board, in addition to myself. They were the most enjoyable and interesting cruises.

• 1 month later...
I will be the priest chaplain on the Westerdam in October (Adriatic and Mediterranean Dream). If there is no Priest/Minister (from other denominations) on board, part of my responsibilities is to lead/facilitate an Interdenominational Service on Sundays. The time and place depends on the day (sea day vs port day) In my experience (brief that it may be), the two Sunday Services are never held at the same time, allowing me to attend both. I have been on cruises where there were a Protestant Minister and a Rabbi on board, in addition to myself. They were the most enjoyable and interesting cruises.

Will there be a Rabbi on the October cruise?

In my experience, there has only been a rabbi aboard on major holidays. However, HAL does provide a venue for oneg shabbat every Friday evening. They also provide candles (electric), wine, challah, prayer books. Check Navigator for time and location. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

In my experience, there has only been a rabbi aboard on major holidays. However, HAL does provide a venue for oneg shabbat every Friday evening. They also provide candles (electric), wine, challah, prayer books. Check Navigator for time and location. Hope this helps.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you Susan.

Appreciated.

😎🏖🚢

I suggest you contact HAL Ship Services.

Smooth sailing:ship: :ship: :ship:

I have NEVER offered responses to the numerous queries regarding Roman Catholic services or clergymen aboard HAL ships, knowing that you'll be able to provide the correct information. Since you are offering suggestions, I suggest that you leave responses to queries about Jewish services to the Jewish shipmates.

I have NEVER offered responses to the numerous queries regarding Roman Catholic services or clergymen aboard HAL ships, knowing that you'll be able to provide the correct information. Since you are offering suggestions, I suggest that you leave responses to queries about Jewish services to the Jewish shipmates.

Thank you for your kind suggestion above. If OP's query had been about HAL's past practice in this regard, I would not have responded with a suggestion. However, OP was clearly asking about HAL's future plans ("Will there be a Rabbi on the October cruise?") - ergo I suggested OP contact HAL, since only HAL knows its plans for future cruises.

That, unfortunately, I do not know. I will not find out if there are other ministers or rabbis on board until I actual board the ship myself. Sorry that I could not give you the answer you were hoping for.

This being Friday evening,

Shabat Shalom!

(Fr.) Roman

will you remain on the Westerdam for the transatlantic cruise leaving Rome on October 26? Thank you

will you remain on the Westerdam for the transatlantic cruise leaving Rome on October 26? Thank you

Unfortunately ... no. My time on the Westerdam comes to an end in Rome on October 26th. Another priest will board her then, but I have no way of knowing who that priest will be. If you are on her for the transatlantic cruise (especially if this is your first transatlantic cruise), may it be as enjoyable and relaxing for you as they have been for me. Wish you calm seas and fair weather

Thank you...it will be so wonderful to have Mass available...a true gift from HAL. This will be our 5th transatlantic cruise. We treasure the time to just "be" and see God's majesty in the seas and beauty around. Thank you for all you do to serve His people.

Unfortunately ... no. My time on the Westerdam comes to an end in Rome on October 26th. Another priest will board her then, but I have no way of knowing who that priest will be. If you are on her for the transatlantic cruise (especially if this is your first transatlantic cruise), may it be as enjoyable and relaxing for you as they have been for me. Wish you calm seas and fair weather

The jewish high holy days will occur on the Sept. 20 cruise. Will there be a rabbi aboard?

The jewish high holy days will occur on the Sept. 20 cruise. Will there be a rabbi aboard?

That's affirmative. I've been aboard twice for Rosh Hashanah and there has been a rabbi aboard to provide services. They are usually held in the Hudson Room or Half Moon Room (depending upon which ship) and you should see the startled reactions of the folks passing by in the hall when they blow the shofar :D:D:D.

This year I'll miss the High Holy Days by one day. I'll be boarding during the daylight hours of Yom Kippur. We'll depart right before sundown -- just in time for me to have late supper in the Tamarind!

Have a great cruise!