independence of the seas Handicap PR 6315 pictures

Hi everyone,

I am sailing on the independence of the Seas Nov 26, 2018, and scared because I don't know what the room looks like. I know its handicap but I just wanna make sure it's not too small.

If anyone can help I would love it. I am in a power chair so I just hope it works!

Thanks!

Michael

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com, select Royal Caribbean, then your ship. On the left, scroll down to the bottom of the cabin classes until you get to inside. Click on Handicap, and there will be a list of all the HC insides, and three of them have pictures. This is a pay site to see pictures in large form, but he makes all of the HC cabins visible without membership. Although your particular cabin is not one of those pictures, all of the insides will be the same. EM

Thanks

I already saw that site and I just want to make sure if the cabin I will be in is good.

I heard that the land handicap Dept and the sea handicap dept can be tdifferentent answers so I wanna ask someone who used that cabin.

Being that less than 10% of the total cruising population (includes both abled-bodied and disabled in that percentage) are members of Cruise Critic it's going to be just by chance that you'll find someone who has stayed in that exact cabin.

PR 6315 is 266 sq. feet which will allow you more than enough room. The photos that you were previously directed to are that of the type of room you've booked. If you have ever cruised on any other RCCL ship whether in an Accessible Inside, Accessible Promenade or Accessible Ocean view the layout of those rooms will be on par with PR6315.

The following link is for an accessible promenade cabin 8315 on the Liberty of the Seas which is the sister ship of the Independence. The décor may differ but the room configuration is the same as Independence 6315 https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+video+of+liberty+of+the+seas+promenade+aCCESSIBLE+CABIN&view=detail&mid=F08D0A61011B47F55DAAF08D0A61011B47F55DAA&FORM=VIRE

You mentioned a concern about different answers from the Land Dept and the Sea Dept, . Just what are the questions/concerns as I'm certain those of us on this forum can help.

You mentioned a concern about different answers from the Land Dept and the Sea Dept, . Just what are the questions/concerns as I'm certain those of us on this forum can help.

First of all, thank you for your reply and help.

I heard stories that (this is for anyone) You call up a place and give you an answer and you like great! then you get there and then boom you get something not what you where thinking AKA smaller area or a place that won't work for your needs.

I will check out that link you showed me. I am glad the cabin is 266 SQ feet. That is what their help desk/email told me.

Someone told me they email the help desk/dept and what they found was a big lie.

I am just scared because I am going alone and if I cant go in the cabin I would of wasted money I paid extra for that type of room.

(Another example) The bed being in the way of the window. I mean you pay more for that type of room and you cant enjoy it.

Add on...

I saw that video on youtube and because it was on another ship I was worried it would not be the same.

Thanks again!

Edited by Ready2cruiseonwheels
Adding stuff.

First of all, thank you for your reply and help.

I heard stories that (this is for anyone) You call up a place and give you an answer and you like great! then you get there and then boom you get something not what you where thinking AKA smaller area or a place that won't work for your needs.

I will check out that link you showed me. I am glad the cabin is 266 SQ feet. That is what their help desk/email told me.

For future reference- The square footage of each category of cabin is actually stated on the deck plans for the specific ship. So all you needed to do was to go RCCL's website search for the deck plans of the Independence of the Seas click on the deck of your cabin and there is a legend that shows that the a Promenade Accessible cabin is 266 sq. Ft.

Someone told me they email the help desk/dept and what they found was a big lie.

Though wrong information is at times given out by inexperienced RCCL representatives for the most part the information that is given is correct. If there's ever a concern just post on this forum as I'm certain there are many of us that can supply you with the correct information.

I am just scared because I am going alone and if I cant go in the cabin I would of wasted money I paid extra for that type of room.

FYI - I cruise solo regularly as well as being a Diamond Plus level cruise on RCCL. Therefore please post any further questions as certain I'll be able to assist you.

(Another example) The bed being in the way of the window. I mean you pay more for that type of room and you cant enjoy it.

The only reason to have been scared is if you didn't book an accessible cabin. Being that t6315 is an accessible cabin you're OK. Here are some other specs of that cabin that can also be found on RCCL's website that you might be interested to know.

• Toilet height 18 3/4" high - if you need it higher you can request a toilet seat riser **
  • Position of toilet grab bars when seat - Right Side
  • Shower has a fold down shower seat but you can also requested a stand alone shower seat if that works better for you **
  • One pool and one hot tub have a chair lift. The chair is often removed from the lift so kids don't play on it and break it so it's easy to think that a lift doesn't exit. If you require a pool or hot tub chair lift just ask an RCCL staff member to assist you
  • ** Here's the link for RCCL's Special Needs on-line form that you should complete before the cruise if you haven't done so already. If needed you can request the toilet seat riser and or the shower seat if needed. https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

Add on...

I saw that video on youtube and because it was on another ship I was worried it would not be the same.

For future reference when searcing online for cabin photos know that RCCL's ships are broken down into classes based of their construction and design. RCCL's website lists all ships within a specific class. For example the Independence is a Freedom Class Ship,. The ships within that class are the Freedom, Independence and Liberty so the cabin design and layout is the same for all three ships . The only thing that's different is the décor.

Hope all this helps !

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 4 weeks later...

we were in a handicapped inside room on Liberty of the Seas (which is the same ship pretty much as the Independence of the Seas which was our very first cruise). It was huge compared to a regular inside room. We had a queen bed to the right and a huge sofa bed on the left (for the kid, so it stayed open all the time) and there was still enough space to get around. Although probably not enough space for a wheelchair to fit between an open sofa bed and the queen size bed, as I remember. Our kiddo tried to jump from one bed to another and I had to stop him because the gap was still substantial. And because we don't jump on beds.

The shower was roll-in and very spacious.

Hi

We have done 8315 twice on Indy. Please note it gets very dark with all the lights out. We had the table taken out and acquired an outdoor sun lounger/ balcony chair to use in the shower. Only issue we had was when we first went to the cabin all the cases were lined up in the corridor and *315 would be a few yards along. Same again on night before disembarking. Even at nearly midnight had to find security to run the gauntlet of cases. We always ask the steward to help us unpack and pack as this took me hours the first time we went. Also a shoe hanger on the cabin side of the bathroom is useful for stuff like hair brushes, powder, make up etc. We actually turned the bed 45 degrees so the wheelchair had more room to get close to the bed. Don't be afraid to ask, the crew on Indy are fantastic.