single vs double room?

cineroo

We are trying to get a friend to cruise with us next month on a Royal Caribbean ship -she has never cruised before and is a widow who wants to be in a room by herself. When we price the cruise, it costs more if we put in 1 room for 1 person than if we say 1 room for 2 people. I am aware of the single supplement but if it is cheaper to put 2 people in the room, could she add a friend to the room and pay for both? The "friend" will probably not be able to come (95% sure), but will that be a problem if she doesn't show up? Any drawbacks to this idea?? I really don't understand why it is more for one person in a room than 2 people..

I travel solo, typically I pay from 1.5 to 2 times the "per passenger fare". Once on Costa I could not book a cabin for just 1 person. Called Costa and they advised to insert a "fake" name for a second person and use my passportnr for this person as well. Upon boarding the "fake" person was a no-show, no problem. Call the cruise line or a TA.

• 3 weeks later...

It is pretty much routine for lines like Royal and Celebrity to charge more than 100% single supplement. Why they do it I have no idea except to pocket more money. As per your question, based on what I have heard, your friend can book for 2 and pay in full. She would get the cabin for herself since the companion will be a no show. Royal would be expected to refund the port charges only to your friend's onboard account.

I would suggest you call first and verify that the fare for a solo is definitely more than 100%.

Edited by IrieBajan54
corrections