Cruise from LA but not interested in LA ???

familycruzer

i'm slightly confused by the question, were you thinking of coming in a few days early, or day before and then a drive? san Diego and santa barbara would be decentish scenic drives to los angeles. san fancisco is quite a long drive, but for either Sf or SB you could take the amtrack coast starlight down, it is a beautiful trip from up north to los angeles union station. there is also amtrack form san Diego, but i haven't done that on yet. vegas can be a 4-5 hour drive, but not necessarily scenic.

Not sure when the cruise is.

One option is to fly to San Francisco and then take a few days driving down the coast and stopping at different places before you reach Los Angeles. Certainly another option is to spend a couple of days in San Diego.

Whatever you do consider the price of a R/T ticket if you are flying to and from different airport.

Another option is to fly to LAX and rent the car there and drive north or south and then drive back and drop the car off and then make your way to the cruise.

Keith

For the drive from San Francisco to LA, made sure to check TripAdvisor for the status of the major road closure around Big Sur. You can no longer drive the coast Rt. 1 all the way, but have to detour inland around the downed bridge and landslide. You don't say when your trip is, but the road problems will continue at least through December. Here's a link to the TripAdvisor California Travel Forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28926-i29-California.html

Once you get there, check the "Top Questions" on the top right for the articles on the Big Sur closures. You can do the scenic route for much of the way, just be aware of the limitation when planning.

Fly into San Diego. It is a wonderful city.

Then take the commuter train from San Diego to Los Angeles. That will take you to Union Station, downtown Los Angeles. From there it's a head scratcher to get to San Pedro, but there will be a way. Maybe just Uber it.

The train is called the Surfliner I believe.

http://www.pacificsurfliner.com/

Actually, that train could solve your Santa Barbara to Los Angeles problem as well.

Taking the train if it works in So Cal is a viable option. Amtrak does a fair job, I've done it more than a few times. Just don't expect German level adherence to time tables. Leave a half day cushion.

Also being on the train as you pass thousands of cars stuck in traffic is the ultimate revenge.

What do you consider north and how much rain?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Northern California is considered San Francisco area and up into Napa/Sonoma areas. Far Northern California extends up to the Oregon Border.

How much rain? Anybody's guess. Up to Fall 2016 we suffered a very severe multi-year drought, some reservoirs were below 20% capacity. The 2016-2017 school year was at record or near record setting in terms of rain and snow. So much that our drought has diminished significantly.

In CA you have to request water in restaurants.

Two different experiences. San Diego (and La Jolla) are wonderful places with lots to see. I've also done the drive down the PCH from San Francisco to San Diego (you drive right through LA). The drive is amazing - we stayed overnight in San Luis Obispo. Toured a couple of wineries and also spent an afternoon at Hearst Castle. But as someone posted the major roadblock in Big Sur will cause a reroute.

The land slide on Hwy 1 is expected to block the route through Big Sur for at least another year (the bridge may be resolved by December), but that also depends on no more mud slides during this coming winter rainy season. Driving 101 from San Francisco is not nearly as nice as on Hwy 1 through Big Sur.

Another option might be flying into John Wayne/Orange County Airport, and then renting a car to visit Palm Springs or Joshua Tree (March is usually a good desert flower time), Laguna Beach and the Orange County beach areas (too cold to swim, but beautiful in March often), or go to San Diego and back. Disneyland is also an option. If you return your rental car to the airport location, you can then take Supershuttle or other shared shuttle to the port in Long Beach pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Another option would be Ventura and Ojai. Both are charming. Channel Islands National Park is offshore with Park headquarters being in Ventura. There are boat day trips offered and the scenery is unique. Ojai has wonderful little shops and several very upscale hotels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another option would be Ventura and Ojai. Both are charming. Channel Islands National Park is offshore with Park headquarters being in Ventura. There are boat day trips offered and the scenery is unique. Ojai has wonderful little shops and several very upscale hotels.

Local pronunciation hint --in the area is Port Hueneme (h-Y Nee Me)

This whole area is a very pretty part of the Coast. Much cheaper than Santa Barbara.

Have to chime in here as a person who lives in LA. There is a ton to do here beyond Hollywood, etc. If youre adventurous, Venice beach is one if the coolest places on earth. It doesn't get rolling till late afternoon though. And it is crazy in a good way. You'll be sailing out of San Pedro but just 5 minutes south, the queen Mary is a beautiful side trip and you can stay on board. An hour and a half drive gets you to lake arrowhead and big bear or an hour up the coast you can do wonderful wine tours in santa ynez valley. A day trip up PCH to Malibu and have lunch overlooking the ocean. Just avoid traffic at all costs and you'll have a great time in LA

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Local pronunciation hint --in the area is Port Hueneme (h-Y Nee Me)

This whole area is a very pretty part of the Coast. Much cheaper than Santa Barbara.

Sadie, having been in the military and taking a PT boat out of Port Hueneme Naval Construction Battalion, I believe the correct pronunciation is "why-neem-me". No H in front of it.:)

• 3 weeks later...

That is a good choice. However, with the Hwy 1 washed out it doesn't allow you see one of the Top 10 most scenic drives in the USA. I would fly to SFO and do some time there and/or drive to Monterey and spend a night there. From Monterey, via HWY 101, to LA there isn't much to see until Santa Barbara. You can cut back over to HWY 1 around Oxnard and the drive is again right along the coast and through Malibu.