please review my plan for my dad with a limited mobility problem

Itchy&Scratchy

So, at the moment my dad's back is in agony, and he has limited mobility issues. He is getting treatment and physical therapy, but as of right now there are no improvements. Some days are better than others, but even better days leave him in a lot of pain.

We are taking him on his first cruise in November, so he still has a couple of months to get somewhat better. At this time he can sit, stand for a couple of minutes, lie down and walk about a 100 yards without assistance (but slowly). When he flew a month ago, we had to get wheelchair assistance for him, because at that time he could barely walk.

This would be our first time traveling with someone with a limited mobility requiring the use of a wheelchair for long distances.

We are flying to FLL to the cruise, but driving a rental minivan back (10+ hours).

If he doesn't get much better by our sailing, I was thinking about two possible ways to make his getting around a little more comfortable.

1) buy a push wheelchair at walgreens, currently $89 + ground shipping. Take it with us, wheel him through the airport ourselves or he can push it himself. At this time his arms are working just fine. Gate check the wheelchair, wheel him to ground transportation after the flight, get a minivan taxi to the port, wheel him through the port and onto the ship. He may or may not need it on the ship, depending on the distances and his pain status at that time. I am inclined to think that he may need it at times if the walk is long, but he won't need it all the time. Do this same thing in reverse on the way back to the airport car rental.

2) have the airline personnel wheel him through the airport to the gate and then to the ground transportation. Have the cruise/terminal personnel to wheel him from the taxi to the ship. Either rent a push wheelchair for him for $75 or let him hobble around on his own. Request Princess assistance for disembarkation.

We aren't doing any strenuous excursions. We'll mostly go to the beach at the ports. I am sure we'd NOT be using the wheelchair at ports .

If we were to request port wheelchair assistance from Princess, how far would they be able to transport dad in a princess wheelchair? He can come down the gangway by himself, but the long distance to the taxi stand may or may not be a challenge. I am sure that personnel would not venture out as far as the end of the pier.

What do you think? Door #1 or door #2?

P.S. We will also be wheeling around a large car seat on a luggage cart for the kiddo. I am not sure how strong a person needs to be to push my dad around in his wheelchair. He is just over 200#.

Since this is dad's first cruise, he will be surprised at the amount of walking and standing in line that will be required of him. At a minimum, make sure he has a wheelchair available at all times. You might look into renting a mobility scooter for the cruise. You will find a lot of great information regarding rentals here on this board.

We've not cruised on Princess, but on Carnival wheelchair assistance is limited to embarkation and debarkation and is only available on a very limited basis in the ports (then only to get on and off the ship). They will not take you to the taxi stand, that will require walking.

yes, I've read a lot of threads in this subforum, including info on renting.

Mainly, I wonder if I should buy one for $89 and drag it everywhere with us, or rent one for $75 and use wheelchair assistance provided by the airline and cruiseline in port.

Mainly, I wonder if I should buy one for $89 and drag it everywhere with us, or rent one for $75 and use wheelchair assistance provided by the airline and cruiseline in port.

I would be concerned about the quality of one purchased for $89. The choice is subjective; however. Do whatever you feel would work the best for your family.

We use a narrow push wheelchair for my father.lt-1000hb-bdxl-114x130.jpeg

The big advantage as far as I'm concerned is that it fits through a normal cabin door and folds for easy storage in the cabin. Regular width wheelchairs may not fit through a normal cabin doorway. I would note that a normal balcony cabin does not offer much out-of-the-way space for stowing a folded wheelchair.

Pushing a wheelchair over flat floors/decks does not require much strength. Navigating airport and other gangways is tricky and does require some muscle.

We traveled with someone that rented a power chair for the voyage. They are great for those who need them, but not the easiest thing to use on a cruise. Our friend was in a regular balcony cabin. Her chair was stored elsewhere. She had to call to get and put the chair. Occasionally staff would forget to charge the battery which limited her mobility.

If your Dad's not going to be doing the wheeling himself, consider a transport chair - the ones with 4 smaller wheels rather than two big, two small. They can be bought with brake paddles for the pusher which can be useful on slopes (but don't rely on them exclusively).

My instinct would always be to buy the right size of chair and make sure you are familiar it with pre-travel. Aim to check it at the air bridge not the gate or at check-in and have it returned to the air bridge on disembarkation. You'll be first on, last off. Request assistance, good airlines will have someone waiting at the plane to push him where you need to go. Remember that airports are big places and pushing a wheelchair across carpets while hauling your carry on luggage can get annoying very quickly.

Ditto for the ship. Request assistance. If you have your own chair rather than portered you will be on and off quicker. Don't know if you have any tender ports but if he can take a couple of steps on to the tender (and the sea is reasonably calm) he can use the tender with the chair to go with him.

I'd recommend booking ship's tours. Most coaches will take a folded chair underneath if he can climb the couple fo steps to get on. Register as needing assistance and he'll get a reserved seat at the front.

Most of all, I don't know the cause of your Dad's injury or its detailed symptoms, but from my personal experience over multiple back problems I know that sitting for long periods can become agony. I'd seriously worry about 10 hours+ in a vehicle unless you've made certain that this is tolerable.

>

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Since your dad is currently getting physical therapy you have access to expert advice on the type of mobility assistance device which would be most helpful to him. If I had been in touch with a therapist before I purchased my first transport chair I could have saved that money and put it toward what I really needed given my level of disability. I found my physical therapist a great wealth of expert advice.

We use a narrow push wheelchair for my father.lt-1000hb-bdxl-114x130.jpeg

The big advantage as far as I'm concerned is that it fits through a normal cabin door and folds for easy storage in the cabin. .

thank you. Yes, a foldable push wheelchair just like this is what I had in mind (currently very cheap at walgreens and also available for rent). Dad can walk into the room himself, so we could probably fold it before he gets into the room, and since it's only 23# one of us could easily carry it in and out of the room while it's folded.

The kid's car seat is about the same weight.

Aim to check it at the air bridge not the gate or at check-in and have it returned to the air bridge on disembarkation.
what is an air bridge? I am only familiar with two types of checking stuff in: luggage check and gate check. Like gate checking strollers and then (maybe) getting them back at the gate upon arrival. Or maybe not.

Last time a flight attendant took my luggage cart from me and gate checked it in while I was installing the car seat, even though I insisted that I was going to store the cart in the overhead compartment. Of course, the luggage cart wasn't there upon arrival - it was with luggage, and I had to hand carry a 25# car seat all the way to the baggage carousel... Ugh. Not helpful at all. I have back problems of my own. On the way back I made sure not to let the flight attendant take the cart.

Dad can move around and take steps and whatnot. He just can't walk for a long time/distance. Everyone's back problems are different... I can sit for hours, but I can't stand or walk for more than 20 minutes, or I will be in agonizing pain.

Dad's pain comes from 5 herniated discs that were aggravated on his last trip. I am considering buying a flight back for him, but we are not rich and it all adds up quickly.

The $89 push chair is not a smart choice for anything other than short trips between car and the couch at home. It will NOT have the two large wheels that would enable him to push himself at any point, let alone maneuver himself in place. They are very uncomfortable for long term use( more than a few minutes at a time)

Wheelchair assistance at the port is limited to being wheeled to a public area and then left to your own devices to get around on board, even if you have pre reserved a chair on board to be waiting in the cabin. They do not have any board to be used except in case of injury on board. At the end of the cruise you get wheeled to customs at best.

You will want one 24/7. Maybe a rollator would do. Maybe a regular chair. Just not a transport chair

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The $89 push chair is not a smart choice for anything other than short trips between car and the couch at home. It will NOT have the two large wheels that would enable him to push himself at any point, let alone maneuver himself in place.

thanks, that's a good point.

The ones with wheels start at $116 like this https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medline-steel-wheelchair-with-swingaway-footrests/ID=prod6071474-product

but they are also rather heavy, starting at 38#... Do they roll when folded?

Dad doesn't need a chair from car to couch. He can even make it to the apartment complex pool just fine. But Regal Princess is huge, and he will most likely need something to help him go the distance and then plop into a chair somewhere.

Mom does have a rollator, but I don't think that's what we need for a cruise.

what is an air bridge? I am only familiar with two types of checking stuff in: luggage check and gate check. Like gate checking strollers and then (maybe) getting them back at the gate upon arrival. Or maybe not.

Last time a flight attendant took my luggage cart from me and gate checked it in while I was installing the car seat, even though I insisted that I was going to store the cart in the overhead compartment. Of course, the luggage cart wasn't there upon arrival - it was with luggage, and I had to hand carry a 25# car seat all the way to the baggage carousel... Ugh. Not helpful at all. I have back problems of my own. On the way back I made sure not to let the flight attendant take the cart.

Dad can move around and take steps and whatnot. He just can't walk for a long time/distance. Everyone's back problems are different... I can sit for hours, but I can't stand or walk for more than 20 minutes, or I will be in agonizing pain.

Dad's pain comes from 5 herniated discs that were aggravated on his last trip. I am considering buying a flight back for him, but we are not rich and it all adds up quickly.

The gangway between the terminal and aircraft is sometimes called the air bridge.

Some airlines have dedicated special needs counters in some airports. If you can use one, it does speed up the process. When you check in the wheelchair should get a special needs tag.

Check your airline's web site for a special needs section. It often has very useful information.

Thoughts....

• have you booked your cruise already, or are you just planning? If you booked already.... consider cancellation insurance. I had a loved one getting medical treatments and we booked our cruises 5 days before sailing. Yes it costs more, cabin choices are skimpy, but it meant less stress if mom turned for the worse.
  • I'm not a fan of cheap steel wheelchairs.... I am willing to pay more for the lighter aluminum ones. Easier to load in and out of a vehicle.
  • the "push" chair you describe is often called a transport chair. The chairs are lighter and more compact for travel. Yes the rider will not be able to push themselves. Only problem I had with the small wheels getting into the doorway drainage channel when going from outside to inside. The rider and chair had to be lifted an inch or so.
  • wheelchairs are great at airports and cruise terminal.... you get expedited service for your security screenings.
  • transport chairs are great indoors and smooth surfaces. Can be a challenge at some ports with wooden sidewalks and gravel pathways.
  • think also about storage.... even folded, it can be tight in a regular cabin..... if you needed a disabled cabin.... let them know.
  • a disabled cabin may make it easier or your dad to shower
  • if dad does not need the chair... the chairs make great luggage carts!

I don't have a lot of experience with cruising but I do have experience with wheelchairs. I own two . One is a transport chair and one is a foldable regular chair. The transport chair is just that it's light I and folds up nicely and is great for transport from saying the car to a restaurant however awkward to push with the wheels turning to and frow all the time and it does not do well over bumps in the road. It is also comfortable to sit in for a long period of time for example when you were at a play or a movie because it doesn't have much support on your back.

My regular wheelchair is quite a bit heavier but does fold up and has a removable seat cushion which I highly recommend because one it makes it more comfortable and also makes it higher to sit which makes it easier to get in and out of. It also handles better with bumps in the road.

In the past we have requested a wheelchair transport and check in. The pros too that are that a volunteer will push you off the way to your gate . We have also breeze through the TSA because they allways wave us over tibthe shortest line as soon as they see the volunteer pushing her wheelchair and we breeze right through.They have also left the chair with us while we wait to board The plane I would push your day off right to board the plane in the volunteer will return it for youand you can request that a wheelchair be waiting for you with transport at your destination just let them know and it will be waiting for youagain they will push you to baggage and have always left it with us that way you can get one of those carts and load all your baggage and have have someone in your someone in your group push your dad all the way to the rental car shuttle and returned it back to the terminal.

If this would work for you I would suggest renting of regular foldable wheelchair and have it waiting for you in your state room.

My needs have since changed and I am going on a cruise to Alaska next July. I am planning on bringing my regular wheelchair and checking out asking for a wheelchair transport to the gate.I am also renting a scooter from special needs at sea or care vacations and having it delivered right to my state room. This was recommended to me I hope all members on Cruise critic. I know you do not need a scooter because it sounds like your dad is much more ambulatory than me. But I just wanted to share my experience s with a wheelchair hope it helps!

Another note you may not think you will use the wheelchair that much but sometimes it's hard to find a place to sit at various places on your trip and it's great to have someplace for him to sit and rest. So maybe a transport chair would work out fine for you. Hope I didn't confuse you if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

I don't have a lot of experience with cruising but I do have experience with wheelchairs. I own two . One is a transport chair and one is a foldable regular chair. The transport chair is just that it's light I and folds up nicely and is great for transport from saying the car to a restaurant however awkward to push with the wheels turning to and frow all the time and it does not do well over bumps in the road. It is also comfortable to sit in for a long period of time for example when you were at a play or a movie because it doesn't have much support on your back.

My regular wheelchair is quite a bit heavier but does fold up and has a removable seat cushion which I highly recommend because one it makes it more comfortable and also makes it higher to sit which makes it easier to get in and out of. It also handles better with bumps in the road.

In the past we have requested a wheelchair transport and check in. The pros too that are that a volunteer will push you off the way to your gate . We have also breeze through the TSA because they allways wave us over tibthe shortest line as soon as they see the volunteer pushing her wheelchair and we breeze right through.They have also left the chair with us while we wait to board The plane I would push your day off right to board the plane in the volunteer will return it for youand you can request that a wheelchair be waiting for you with transport at your destination just let them know and it will be waiting for youagain they will push you to baggage and have always left it with us that way you can get one of those carts and load all your baggage and have have someone in your someone in your group push your dad all the way to the rental car shuttle and returned it back to the terminal.

If this would work for you I would suggest renting of regular foldable wheelchair and have it waiting for you in your state room.

My needs have since changed and I am going on a cruise to Alaska next July. I am planning on bringing my regular wheelchair and checking out asking for a wheelchair transport to the gate.I am also renting a scooter from special needs at sea or care vacations and having it delivered right to my state room. This was recommended to me I hope all members on Cruise critic. I know you do not need a scooter because it sounds like your dad is much more ambulatory than me. But I just wanted to share my experience s with a wheelchair hope it helps!

Another note you may not think you will use the wheelchair that much but sometimes it's hard to find a place to sit at various places on your trip and it's great to have someplace for him to sit and rest. So maybe a transport chair would work out fine for you. Hope I didn't confuse you if you have any other questions feel free to ask!

Tried to edit my post but I could not. What I meant to say is I was suggest renting a regular foldable wheelchair at home to have for the week. You can push it right up to the plane sometimes they have room to store it right in the plane cabin if you let them know ahead of time when you book the tickets if not they will store it underneath and have it for you when you get to your destination.

Tried to edit my post but I could not. What I meant to say is I was suggest renting a regular foldable wheelchair at home to have for the week. You can push it right up to the plane sometimes they have room to store it right in the plane cabin if you let them know ahead of time when you book the tickets if not they will store it underneath and have it for you when you get to your destination.

I reread my post I meant to say the transport chairs "are uncomfortable" to sit in for any length of time. I'm sorry for all the corrections but I was using voice activation on my phone and even with proof reading I stil missed my mistakes sorry.

The gangway between the terminal and aircraft is sometimes called the air bridge.

Some airlines have dedicated special needs counters in some airports. If you can use one, it does speed up the process. When you check in the wheelchair should get a special needs tag.

Check your airline's web site for a special needs section. It often has very useful information.

I already checked, and they offer wheelchair services at some airports. We have a huge international hub and if anything, there are always airport workers available with push chairs, even if the airline doesn't have anyone to help.

So, if we take a wheelchair with us, we will gate check it like people check strollers.

Thoughts....

have you booked your cruise already, or are you just planning? If you booked already.... consider cancellation insurance.

yes, I have booked already. Cancellation insurance is built-in in my credit card. Good thing I booked because inside cabins are sold out as of this morning.
a disabled cabin may make it easier or your dad to shower
all of them were sold out by the time I made a booking. Plus, there are people out there who truly-truly need accessible cabins, and at this time I don't think my dad really needs one, although it would be much easier to be in an accessible cabin just due to it being bigger and shower being more spacious.

A couple of sailing ago we ended up in an accessible cabin, even though by the time we sailed I didn't need one (which I specified when checking in). The cruise line didn't move us out of it, and we loved the big room.

thanks, that's a good point.

The ones with wheels start at $116 like this https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/medline-steel-wheelchair-with-swingaway-footrests/ID=prod6071474-product

but they are also rather heavy, starting at 38#... Do they roll when folded?

Dad doesn't need a chair from car to couch. He can even make it to the apartment complex pool just fine. But Regal Princess is huge, and he will most likely need something to help him go the distance and then plop into a chair somewhere.

Mom does have a rollator, but I don't think that's what we need for a cruise.

k

That is very similar to the wheelchair I own. Yes they are foldable, look at the second picture. Yes it is heavier but easily fits in a trunk and Much more comfortable and safer to be pushed around in. I don't think it matters if you are a large person or small I think this is the better choice I would highly recommend renting this one instead of the other one. The large wheels make it possible for him to be able to move around on his own so he doesn't feel stuck. You mentioned he is in physical therapy. Why not have the PT show him how to do that. When I was in the hospital after back surgery and required a wheelchair till I recovered and got stronger it was part of my PT ...just a thought.

Rent a scooter for him. Rent at home and he can use at airport too. Right to the gate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thanks! He just started PT and, of course, he goes without me. I'll mention getting some PT wheelchair advice/practice on to him.

Since PT knows him, you may want to share the whole plan with them and find out what a good activity level for him is. As someone with spinal stenosis plus arthritis of the spine and now arthritis of only one hip (the other is a brand new sporty titanium model), the motion of the ship after a day or so can get a little problematic. Usually even if it's not noticeable my hips and back feel it from the constant compensating the muscles have to do and my need for NSAIDs goes up. He may need to use a chair or rollator with seat more often while on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...

update: by the time of cruising dad was a little better, so we didn't rent a wheelchair or any other device.

Dad did pretty well on the cruise, slowly shuffling places. We only went to the beach at the destinations, so he only had to walk to the taxi and from the taxi to the beach.

On our way back our flight was at 5 pm, we spent the whole day at the airport, and by the time we got back home, we were all exhausted and dad was in a lot of pain. ATL airport is huge.... The wheelchair was waiting for dad at the gate, and it was great. I honestly didn't remember requesting it actually, so I was confused as to why they were waiting for Dad. Turns out, it was the best decision ever, of course, but my confusion about it was quite baffling. :)