solo male caribbean cruise advice

mcwilcr

I was told in the new cruisers forum that you guys might be able to give me some better advice for planning my trip over here. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting in multiple places. I'll be traveling solo and am a single straight male in my mid 30s with a fairly active lifestyle. I've done a bit of research trying to find my best options and am working with an agent as well and she has given me a few options and has promised a few more to come today. here is what she has found for me so far

Carnival Conquest

11/25/17 for 8 days Eastern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/6/18 for 8 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas

11/24/17 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/26/18 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

A few of my requirements as I see them:

1) not necessarily looking for a singles cruise but would be nice if there is a higher likelihood of single travelers around my age

2) would prefer not to be overrun by families and kids

3) want a fun Itinerary with lots of opportunity for exploring (hiking, snorkling, kayaking, etc) in port as well as fun activities on board

4) best bang for my buck? drink packages, food packages, etc.

5) Would prefer to leave from florida because it looks like leaving from other places has half of the itinerary stopping at ports in the US...

I have also been looking at other cruise lines like NCL. No concrete dates in mind but I want to do something this fall/winter if possible.

now that Ive laid out some background, here are my questions:

Of what I have listed in the first 4 options, which will I likely have more fun on and have more of my so called requirements met?

Other things I should be looking for?

alternate recommendations for cruise line, month, itinerary?

Thank you all very much in advance! these boards have been of tremendous help researching for this trip.

As a male / solo cruiser, I would strongly suggest either the NCL Escape or Getaway out of Miami... NCL has a great solo program whether you decide to cruise in their solo cabins or a balcony. There is so much more to do on either of these ships than the two you mentioned. With NCL you will receive a beverage package as a promo when booking. (You will be required to pony up $99 for the gratuities on said package, but at $12-$15 for one drink, it's easy to come out ahead)

As a male / solo cruiser, I would strongly suggest either the NCL Escape or Getaway out of Miami... NCL has a great solo program whether you decide to cruise in their solo cabins or a balcony. There is so much more to do on either of these ships than the two you mentioned. With NCL you will receive a beverage package as a promo when booking. (You will be required to pony up $99 for the gratuities on said package, but at $12-$15 for one drink, it's easy to come out ahead)

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful information! NCL Escape is one of the ships I was looking at to begin with and NCL in general because of their solo cabins and lounge. Do you have personal experience with either of these or even the ones I have listed? good/bad experiences?

I have been on both the Escape and Getaway more than once... No, I have not been on either of the others you mentioned, but they are older and less equipped vessels. NCL sets the standard for solo cruising, above and beyond the other lines by far.

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful information! NCL Escape is one of the ships I was looking at to begin with and NCL in general because of their solo cabins and lounge. Do you have personal experience with either of these or even the ones I have listed? good/bad experiences?

I think either Carnival or Royal Caribbean will provide a cruise that will meet your criteria as far as meeting other singles.

Do not know about Royal Caribbean because my sole experience was too long ago, but on every Carnival cruise that I have sailed, entertainment and music really was very good to excellent. If you sail Carnival and the Towel Animal Theater is offered one day, even though it's oriented to the kids, I suggest you attend. This senior citizen found it entertaining, cute, and worth the few minutes of my day to attend.

Research the shore excursions each of the 4 sailings offer to help you decide which ports may provide you with the experiences you wish. (You do not have to book such tours through the ship; many research and book independent tour operators who offer similar tours.) Since you are a new cruiser, booking such tours through the cruise line does help simplify your initial cruise experience, however.

I think your November dates are around Thanksgiving. If so, there may be more children aboard either of the ships on those sailings than in January. (Even then, expect children. However, both cruise lines have very good children's programs that keep the kids well occupied.)

I do not use drink or food packages. I don't drink enough to warrant the cost of such a package. I prefer to be more flexible as to dining than to commit to a dining package.

Since you lead an active lifestyle, don't forget that these ships probably have well equipped gyms that are often underused by the guests. And, maybe treat yourself to a spa appointment or spa package?

And, welcome to Cruise Critic!

I was told in the new cruisers forum that you guys might be able to give me some better advice for planning my trip over here. Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting in multiple places. I'll be traveling solo and am a single straight male in my mid 30s with a fairly active lifestyle. I've done a bit of research trying to find my best options and am working with an agent as well and she has given me a few options and has promised a few more to come today. here is what she has found for me so far

Carnival Conquest

11/25/17 for 8 days Eastern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/6/18 for 8 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas

11/24/17 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1/26/18 for 10 days Southern Caribbean leaving from Ft Lauderdale, FL

1) not necessarily looking for a singles cruise but would be nice if there is a higher likelihood of single travelers around my age

2) would prefer not to be overrun by families and kids

3) want a fun Itinerary with lots of opportunity for exploring (hiking, snorkling, kayaking, etc) in port as well as fun activities on board

4) best bang for my buck? drink packages, food packages, etc.

5) Would prefer to leave from florida because it looks like leaving from other places has half of the itinerary stopping at ports in the US...

I have also been looking at other cruise lines like NCL. No concrete dates in mind but I want to do something this fall/winter if possible.

now that Ive laid out some background, here are my questions:

Of what I have listed in the first 4 options, which will I likely have more fun on and have more of my so called requirements met?

Other things I should be looking for?

alternate recommendations for cruise line, month, itinerary?

Thank you all very much in advance! these boards have been of tremendous help researching for this trip.

I'd also recommend NCL. I've been on The NCL Getaway and RCCL Serenade (though not the southern itinerary) and I think NCL does a better job for the solo traveler. They have s solo gathering every evening where you can meet up with other solo travelers though not all solos are single. There is a solo host that helps set up dinner reservations show and entertainment reservations. I did the western Caribbean on the Getaway and it is a great bunch of ports IMO. And you don't need to stay in a solo cabin to enjoy these solo meet ups.

The Serenade did have some solo meetings but they are unhosted so it's hit or miss if you meet anyone. I also found it to be an older crowd it could have been the itinerary it was sailing out of New Orleans then but it was the same time of year end of November.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically, you want to see and do everything. The Serenade OTS offers a bit more especially considering that Grand Turk is a Carnival port. San Juan is the only plus in regards to that itinerary. On the Serenade there will definitely be more possibilities.

As far as what the cruise lines offers, being a newcomer, the incentives you see are basically all that is available.

To do things in the various ports, your best option would be private tours. Thus you should look at the different ports of call to see what the locals are offering. Actually, I'd recommend that you research each port go get an idea of what is there is to see and do.

Being new at this, I would suggest you join the Cruise Critic roll call for the cruise that you book and ask the other cruisers if anyone is looking at private tours. Usually someone has contacted local tour companies and have been offered some group options. You can do the same thing. Find a tour of interest and ask about small group prices. Then post what you have found on the roll call and ask if anyone is interested in joining.

The ship's tours are normally rather expensive and it seems like one spends most of the time on buses. Further more, they provide a perfect example how a steer feels when being in a herd of cattle. Yes, some will tell you that the ship's tours are safer because the ship will not sail without you if the tour returns late. That may be true 99% of the time, but it is not fact. The ship leaves when the port authority tells it to leave.

If you are real adventurous, you can see and do things on your own. However, I would not recommend wandering around by yourself in some of the areas. Much safer if you have a friend with you.

I have been on a number of different cruise lines solo. All cruises are great! Carnival is on the bottom of my list, however if it were going where I wanted to go, I'd book it. Because I like to see and do things in far away places, I will usually avoid an itinerary that goes to the ship line's private port. One is stuck with what the ship offers.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise,

BJ

I will jump on the NFL bandwagon. I have sailed on all three and agree that NFL is ahead of the game as far as solo travel.

Be careful with your November dates if you don't want a lot of families with kids. That is Thanksgiving break time frame, then again a 10 day will keep lots of kids away.

Best of luck. I would pick the Escape or Getaway though. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I will jump on the NFL bandwagon. I have sailed on all three and agree that NFL is ahead of the game as far as solo travel.

Be careful with your November dates if you don't want a lot of families with kids. That is Thanksgiving break time frame, then again a 10 day will keep lots of kids away.

Best of luck. I would pick the Escape or Getaway though. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think you meant to say NCL?........NFL? Would be the National Football League;)

lots of great info here, thank you all for the help!

NCL was my first instinct as well but the others were given to me as possibilities. sounds like I should maybe stick with my instincts.

As for thanksgiving time frame, it is the 23rd this year so I'll be sure to avoid the week leading up but isnt school usually back in session the monday after?

lots to think about

Hi congrats on joining the cruising world it is addicting. I have cruised several lines.

NCL on Epic (the first ship with solo cabins) and Breakaway. If you get things like the drink and dinner package you would probably be happier because you will not feel so nickeled and dimed. If you have no problem with being interior for a single person the solo cabins are fine. They might be 100 sq ft but it isn't like regular interior or balconies are much bigger and it is usually at least 2 people. The NCL ships that have the solo cabins are larger so there is more offer.

Carnival ships are called the "Fun Ships" again the larger ships will have more going on (Dream, Magic, Breeze, Vista). I have been on the Conquest more than once it is a smaller ship so does not have as much going on as the larger ships.

RCCL has the mega ships again there is all kinds of things to do. RCCL also has the virtual balconies on some of there ships so you get the sight and sound of what is going on outside if you did not want to go for a balcony, I enjoyed it.

I will slightly disagree regarding the excursions. If you hook up with someone who knows the ports and is reliable then give it a try. If not try the ship excursions because they do give you a safety net also you might run into more people that you have something in common with you because they are also on the excursion. I went on one excursion that was for the entire time we were in port. It was a ship excursion and the ship did wait on us because of that. This was in Cozumel and by the time we were back the entire port village was completely closed up that was how late we were.

The major thing you need to know is each cruise line and ship has their own personality it is driven by the crew, the passengers on the cruise and the overall cruise line culture. You might need to try a couple to fine the best fit for you but it is so much fun trying the different ships and lines.

Good luck, enjoy, try not to over think or you will drive yourself crazy. The boards are a great place to fine information but keep in mind it is an opinion and everyone has one.

No question, you need to go on NCL. One of the bigger ships like Escape, Getaway, Breakaway, Epic, or Bliss depending on timing.

Studio cabins are great and unless you're unlucky there is a good solo crowd. These boats also offer a lot of entertainment options to meet others.

looks like a lot of the solo crowd leans towards NCL. I'll be looking further. Are the studios worth the access to the lounge or are is a larger stateroom going to be significantly more comfortable? or can you get access as a solo traveler regardless of the room you are in?

looks like a lot of the solo crowd leans towards NCL. I'll be looking further. Are the studios worth the access to the lounge or are is a larger stateroom going to be significantly more comfortable? or can you get access as a solo traveler regardless of the room you are in?

The solo cabins are very small at 100 sq ft., but they are functional. Just google NCL studio cabins for pics. It's just a personal preference if you want a larger cabin which of course will cost more.. Someone made a really cool Youtube video tour of the studio cabin. If you prefer a larger cabin or balcony I believe you can get access to the studio lounge. Either someone can let you in and it's propped open. There is a hosted at happy hour in the lounge and he/she will organized group dining for solos; otherwise the problem with NCL's Freestyle dining is that you might have to dine alone if you just show up to the dining room. You can ask the Maitre'd to seat you at the large table, but there is no guarantees. With some singles dining alone is not a problem; but for me (and others singles) we prefer not to dine alone as it's very awkward. With Carnival and RCI you can reserve fixed dining times and with an assigned table for the whole week so you can at least dine with the same people each night. (I've met a lot of nice people this way.) or you can do open seating and you will be seated with different people each night.

1) not necessarily looking for a singles cruise but would be nice if there is a higher likelihood of single travelers around my age. (I would prioritized by first NCL, then Carnival, then RCI. All will work well for a young single adult in his 30's)

2) would prefer not to be overrun by families and kids (Stay away from Holiday sailings, Easter, spring break and summer months.)

3) want a fun Itinerary with lots of opportunity for exploring (hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, etc) in port as well as fun activities on board (it all depends by what itinerary you choose; but most all sailings offer something of what you are looking for)

4) best bang for my buck? drink packages, food packages, etc.(I never buy any of these. The drink package are only worth it if you plan to do a lot of heavy drinking; otherwise, you can buy by the glass)

I very much agree, NCL's Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, and Escape all of solo cabins and lounges. There is a cruise director assigned to to host small meet and and greets nightly; if nothing else but to facilitate a round of introductions and put together groups that want company for dinners and excursions.

That said, the solo passengers range from singles from 18 (traveling with parents, but old enough for the solo room) to senior citizens who book up the solo cabins on tours. You never know who you'll meet, but that's half the fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I have never travelled solo myself, but I will be in the future.

I had been looking at the NCL solo cabins as well, but didn't realize how tiny they are. Considering that they seem to charge a premium for those cabins looking for a sailing with a reduced solo surcharge could allow you more space for less money. I did see that there are occasions when you can get cabins with no solo premiums. That would make a significant pricing difference and I would the be looking at an OV or balcony instead of a solo studio.

What I did want to throw out there for the OP, travelling solo or not, I would still pick a cruise with the same way. So if I was the OP, I would decide what it is that I want to do or see in my ports of call and then find out which islands I could do those things. Especially now after "Irma" I would want to see how devastated my port of calls are. It will take more than a few months to make things right. That would narrow the ship and time selection down. After that I would look at price. Making sure you understand all the costs, drink packages, specialty dining, etc... As a solo traveler you will meet all kinds of people if you at making the effort, no matter what cruise line, the only question is whether they are people you want to associate with. Go to the cruise lines threads and ask about the particular ships you are considering. Understand specific small differences that some cruise lines have/allow while others don't.

Of course, you don't have to make much of an effort if you don't want to. As most people do, you can just pick one, and you will more than likely have a great time.

have a great cruise

I have done NCL and CARNIVAL. Go for NCL, they do SOLOS right.

Excursions I prefer private arranged by your Roll Call Members.

Eastern Caribbean maybe out of the question now.

At you age demographic I would go with the big ships studio cabins on NCL.

Enjoy your first cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booked on a TransAtlantic (TA) on NCL Epic from Barcelona to Port Canaveral (5 November - 18 November). This will be my first solo cruise and first TA. They still have some room. Costs for a studio cabin are good, and if you choose the right package you end up with one "freebie". Lots of singles on the cruise, so if you're up for an adventure take a look. Stu

Only those booked in a Studio Cabin have 24 hour access to the Studio Lounge. While the Studio cabins have a window looking out into the passageway, the small size may make them feel claustrophobic, to some used to standard cabins.

That is one of the reasons that they added the 'living room' to the Studio concept. The Studio Lounge is a great place to hang out to meet your solo cruise mates. It has a nice, complimentary espresso machine, a wine dispensing machine, and various snacks throughout the day.

Every evening from around 5:00 until 6:00 PM, the doors are propped open, and all solo traveler's on the ship, regardless of cabin, are invited to join the cocktail party. At that time, there is a tended bar open, and a host or hostess assigned, from the cruise activities staff. Some of them are wonderful...they introduce people, get them involved in conversations, conduct games....such as trivia, or 'pictionary'....and arrange signup sheets for shore excursions or specialty restaurant dinners. At the end of the hour, those without other plans are invited to join the group for dinner in one of the main dining rooms.

So even if you are not booked in a Studio, I highly recommend attending the solo gathering.:cool:

To avoid large crowds of children, early November, or early December are good selections. Cruises longer than a week are also better than shorter ones, however, that can be a 'two edged sword', as the demographics on the longer cruises are definitely skewed towards retirees.;)

If I were you i'd try a sailing over New Years (a bit more expensive) or one right after.

Why?

The sailing over New Years is likely going to have lots of younger people looking to party and the one right after New Years will probably have lots of younger women on "girls trips" to get away from everything after the Holidays.

I would also recommend NCL not only because you get a "free" beverage package but because so do most of the women on the ship. Not saying to take advantage of anyone but with everyone drinking so much it usually makes it easier to meet people and make new friends.

Also, bring a box of condoms as they're expensive on the ship and have a limited selection.

The only piece of advice I can offer is "be careful" and always go back to your room instead of the woman's room. Many of the women on the ship like to drink while their husbands are at the casino 6-8-10 hours at a time and you wouldn't believe how frisky they get. Some even hide the fact that they're on the ship with their husbands. Just don't get caught. Haha!

If I were you i'd try a sailing over New Years (a bit more expensive) or one right after.

Why?

The sailing over New Years is likely going to have lots of younger people looking to party and the one right after New Years will probably have lots of younger women on "girls trips" to get away from everything after the Holidays.

I would also recommend NCL not only because you get a "free" beverage package but because so do most of the women on the ship. Not saying to take advantage of anyone but with everyone drinking so much it usually makes it easier to meet people and make new friends.

Also, bring a box of condoms as they're expensive on the ship and have a limited selection.

The only piece of advice I can offer is "be careful" and always go back to your room instead of the woman's room. Many of the women on the ship like to drink while their husbands are at the casino 6-8-10 hours at a time and you wouldn't believe how frisky they get. Some even hide the fact that they're on the ship with their husbands. Just don't get caught. Haha!

What a group of classy women ,[emoji849]